Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

louis_mallow
Topic Author

Line Length?

Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:29 pm

When I used to fly, it was on very short lines. They were recommended by the guy who sold me my Matheson Midi, and I stuck with them thereafter. Now I return I see many of my problems learning were caused by just not having time to control the kite.

I asked Mark at JoE kites what lines I should consider if buying a Talon, and he replied, "No less than 75-80 feet [...] I personally fly on 100foot lines all the time (even UL). However, you really need to be used to that length to enjoy it."

What line would you recommend for vented kites in high wind, for std kites in std wind, and for UL kites in UL wind? I'm thinking particularly of the std and vented Talon, and the std and UL Benson DS.

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Line Length?

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:01 am

I'd stick with the same length lines all the way round.

But have a range of weights of line, maybe 110lb, 150lb and 220lb? Those are my "actually enjoy" flying range. but don't be shy of using them on different kites: if it's pulling a bit, but not a lot, try using the 220's on the std, or the 150's on the vented.
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Needs to fly more, now that I can.

SteveC

Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:40 am

I use 3 lengths/ strengths of line ;

20m x 50lb for U/Ls or very low wind days

25m x 90lb for general use - I use this 90% of the time - I have 2 sets of these.

30m x 150lb for vented kites on very windy days though I'm thinking of getting some heavier lines mainly to slow the kite down.

However a lot of it is down to personal preference.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

louis_mallow
Topic Author

Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:46 pm

Thanks SteveC.

So in F.A catalogue terms, your fave would be something like this?
http://fracturedaxel.co.uk/shop/index.p ... oductId=29

I may try a range and see.

SteveC

Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:53 pm

Again, mostly personal preference, I use Climax Professional but i've heard a lot of good things about Shanti and it must be good if the FA shop is selling it.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:20 pm

85 and 100 feet for me, it depends on the size of the kite!

And yes Shanti is good, I wouldn't get it in from the US if it wasn't, mostly when lines (top end) are new they're all very similar, but I find that Shanti keeps that new feel longer than the rest, I still have some sets going back over 10 years :cool:

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:24 pm

Longer lines are the way to go if you have the space - and a large/full sized kite - 100-120ft.

This way you'll get a bigger wind and more space for tricks (with greater margin for error).

For smaller kites and/or smaller fields/spaces you can get away with 75'.

I recently bought Laser Pro Gold and its much nicer than most of the old junk I've been using.

I doesn't make a great deal of sense to fly nice kites on shitty lines.

-Frazer