Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Old Greebo
Topic Author

Q-flaps

Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:31 am

I have seen mention of these.
They seem to be a way of adapting 2-line deltas so that they can be flown with 4 lines.
Not sure I can see the logic of this. I'd have thought that deltas fly pretty well with two lines.
Unless the idea is to give wannabe Rev owners a chance to try flying with 4 lines without actually buying a quad line kite?
Except that the delta flyer then has to equip himself (herself) with a set of 4 decent matching lines. Not cheap. Plus the handles. And the q-flaps themselves don't seem to be cheap either - I couldn't find any on sale in the UK, but in USA they seem to cost nigh on $30.
Are they a good idea? Can they be said to enhance the delta kite experience? Are they a sensible (intermediate) option for dual-line pilots looking to cross over to the dark side?
Brian. (Past it, but reaching back!)
Silver Fox 2.5; HQ Shadow SUL; Rev 1.5 SLE; Spiderkites URO; Etc...

Zippy8

Re: Q-flaps

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:32 am

Old Greebo wrote:
Not sure I can see the logic of this.

Well it's something different at least.

Are they a good idea?

To my mind, no. Not remotely. YMMV

Can they be said to enhance the delta kite experience?

There are some videos from the manufacturer in this thread. You make your mind up if it's the sort of thing you'd like to be seen doing.

When they are not making any contribution.... fine. But when they do, the kite just looks like the bridle has got snagged. The delta-designed-for-quad-line TC Ultras mostly looked like that too.

Two lines good, four lines meh.

Mike.

Flying Fish

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:17 am

I've not flown a delta with Q-flaps, but I do have a DV8.

Like the TC Ultra, that's a delta designed to be flown as a quad. The DV8 has the Q-flap idea more or less integrated in the sail. Is it fun to fly? I think so, because it allows you to do things with a delta that you can't do with two lines (reverse flying, dive-stop, tight spins, etc). But having said that, I wouldn't regard it as enhancing dual-line flying or an intermediate stage between a dual-line delta and a quad-line Rev. It's simply a different kettle of fish.

Andy S
King of FA

Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:04 am

Dromel wrote:
it allows you to do things with a delta that you can't do with two lines (reverse flying, dive-stop, tight spins, etc).

But does it stop you doing things you can do with a delta? What tricks does it rule out?

Flying Fish

Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:49 am

I've not (yet?) managed to axel the DV8 or put it in a turtle (I'm a relative beginner when it comes to tricks, but axels and turtles are no problem for me on other deltas).