Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

nufsed
Topic Author

Jacobs ladders on DS

Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:00 am

when watching a JL being done everything looks so effortless - a little bit of timing here and there and that's all there is to it :)

Oh how wrong I was and I need your help:(

everthing goes alright as follows on my DS

fly down window into flare then
pull into fade
half roll out of fade
lay back into turtle
half lazy susan so kite is back into fade but with lines under kite
cannot get it to flip back to fade with lines on top to start again.

As I pull out of the fade into fade the kite rolls sideways as if it is still rotating from the half lazy or it flies downwards without flipping

Any tips please would be appreciated as I would love to master this one in time for crantock

Does it need a steady stronger pull, slower pull, snap pull or what?

Darren
Gemini, Rev, 10ft Flexi, Fury .85 (That I still can't fly but Tom Can :), Yellow DS, White/Green DSUL

SteveC

Re: Jacobs ladders on DS

Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:27 am

I'm just learning this too. I don't know about the DS specifically, but I haven't found that you need an overly strong input, just even pull giving a bit of slack at the end so that it can complete the rotation.

When I first started I split it down into 2 halves - flare to fade-lateral roll - backflip and then backflip - half lazy - rotate back to fade practising both halves seperately before linking them together. I found this helped me.

The HARD bit is getting more than one rung! I usually either lose my place or reach the floor first! My record to date is 2 1/2 rungs. Looks good when you get it right though! ( especially in 2-3 mph winds with the Shadow!).

This is the video that helped me finally crack it.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9932
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

nufsed
Topic Author

Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:39 pm

cheers Steve

martins videos are the best around and I regularly watch them for inspiration.
I will try your method of splitting them up and see how I get on. Is a backflip the same as the turtle position? Have to get my termanology up to speed :)

Darren
Gemini, Rev, 10ft Flexi, Fury .85 (That I still can't fly but Tom Can :), Yellow DS, White/Green DSUL

SteveC

Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:04 pm

nufsed wrote:

Is a backflip the same as the turtle position? Have to get my termanology up to speed :)

Darren

Yep, same thing. It's a lot about timing - don't try too hard, try and relax into it. Not that I'm an expert!...my JL's are messy as hell but they are at least happening more often. If I can crack it by the end of the year I'll be very happy. One of those 'milestone' tricks - a bit like your first axel or flic flak.

I usually go into the fade from a fractured axel - I lose less height that way. 8) (looks good too!)
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

nufsed
Topic Author

Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:34 pm

I cant always get the fade from a fa. Bit more timing needed from me on that one. I agree it looks a lot better though.

I also have problems on the backflips at low levels where i dont lay the kite far enough back sometimes and always get one line on top of the kite instead of below it. At higher altitudes they are fine and the half susan is easier for me. I guess another step forward to give a bit more slack is the key here to get the kite to lay further back.

No wind and rain tonight so no practicing for me. pray for better weather tomorrow :)

ObijuanKenobe

Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:35 am

nufsed wrote:
I cant always get the fade from a fa

If by this you mean 'I can't always get the fade from the half lazy', you need to think about pulling to fade earlier than you are currently thinking. I had the same problem.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

nufsed
Topic Author

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:32 pm

Hi Obi

no we were discussing starting the trick by getting into the first fade where i normally fly down the window and flare into fade and Steve mentioned he starts his fade from a fractured axel.

i will try pulling into the fade earlier from the half lazy to see if it helps me. I have noticed however that my half lazy rotates faster than some of the videos Iv'e watched and this may also be having a negative effect too.

thanks for the advice

jr

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:18 pm

I would say at this point that the DS is not the easiest kite to learn this trick on, as the timing has to be just right. I'm sure you'll be able to fly some other kites at Crantock to compare, if you can get the feel of this trick you'll then be able to transfer the technique back to the DS.

jaydub

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:53 pm

However, it's much easier on the standard than the UL. At least with these clumsy hands. :?

SAW

Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi,

I was trying these tonight for the first time, I can't do the half lazy bit just a mess or tip wraps. Any tips ? I can do a LS most of the time or know what to do and how to do them but can't a half on the JL :(

Simon.

nufsed
Topic Author

Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:07 pm

Hi Simon

the trick is to make sure the ds lays right back after the half turn out from fade. A step or two forward and plenty of slack to get it to lay right backwards before you lightly pop it round for the half lazy is the key. As the lads have said previously the trick with the ds is to keep the kite moving and not let it rest in anyone position of the JL.

good luck mate. ican get 2-3 rungs most times so practice is all you need

darren

SAW

Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:44 pm

Hi,

Got them sorted now, well can't do many but know how to them now :D I've found it easier if I do a half backspin with my left hand and then the half lazy with my right, but getting it back into a nice fade is pretty hard :-k

Simon.

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:31 pm

Great thread!

OK, I seem to have got this all worng, as I strt from a turtle, half LS, then pop into a fade. can do that failry easily, but what do i do next? as in description of hand movments, as I know it needs a half spin, and another pop after 180 to complete the rung. My problem is I cant backspin.... :oops:

SteveC

Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:39 pm

half backspin/lateral roll back into backflip/turtle.

THIS is the video that finally cracked it for me.

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:30 pm

SteveC wrote:
half backspin/lateral roll back into backflip/turtle.

THIS is the video that finally cracked it for me.

Ahaaaa, yes what a great video. I have been getting into a brain fade (ha) over the half backspin bit. A lateral roll is much easier proposition. IIRC the Gemini isn't the easiest kite to try this on, or is it?