Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

cristobal
Topic Author

Learning curve

Wed May 19, 2010 4:28 pm

I'm a total novice (as you all know), and thanks to atho I should soon have a kite to fly (many many thanks Adrian!). I am now wondering how to get started and where to go in terms of learning the basics (both "pure" flying but also starting doing some tricks). Is there like a must-own bible for stunt kites? I have visited many websites (even YouTube) where tricks are broken down but it still doesn't make much sense to me (not to mention the jargon). Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

SAW

Re: Learning curve

Wed May 19, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi,

Not sure about any books but someone on here not sure who :oops: has done a PDF you can download which is good.

Trick or Treat dvd is a must 8) Prism also do a dvd which you can buy and it also normaly comes free with there kites, it's ok.

and also check out http://sportkiteflyer.spaces.live.com/

but it still doesn't make much sense to me

me too :lol:

The best tips/tricks and help will come from meeting with other flyers, believe me it's alot easier and more helpful when someone's showing you in person than watching any dvd/youtube.

HTH

Simon.

SteveC

Wed May 19, 2010 6:55 pm

http://www.seek2know.org.uk/kites/PJKites/Kites%20notes.pdf

Here is the link for 'Kite Notes' written by one of FA's regular posters Damp_ Weather. It's an excellent read for anyone getting into kite flying.

DVDs - If you have been flying for a while, Trick or Treat is an excellent DVD, but I don't think it's the best for someone who is starting from scratch. Personally ( and I know some won't agree) I like Dodd Gross's Flight School, yes it's a bit ( very!) cheesy in places, but it takes you from absolute basics - assembling your kite , laying out lines etc, right through to some fairly advanced combos. I learned a lot from it. You can sometimes pick it up cheap on Ebay and I think there was a copy in the Library -
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=9445

Online tutorials - Randy G's are good - http://sportkiteflyer.spaces.live.com/PersonalSpace.aspx

Also Martin Madson's vid's on youtube are excellent. Search for dp-mama74.

Finally remember trick flying isn't easy. It takes a lot of time and practise to get as good as some of the guys you see on the videos. Learn the basics first and be patient and it will come. Have fun.

By the way the Jive was a good choice - excellent kite that will take you a long way. Still one of my favourites. 8)
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

Flying Fish

Wed May 19, 2010 8:04 pm

I think there was a copy in the Library

I still have atho's copy, as no one has yet claimed it. Clearly, it's available to be sent to the next person!

cristobal
Topic Author

Thu May 20, 2010 9:19 am

Dromel wrote:
I think there was a copy in the Library

I still have atho's copy, as no one has yet claimed it. Clearly, it's available to be sent to the next person!

Dromel, I wouldn't mind being the next person in the queue for the Dodd Gross DVD if possible.

Thanks for all the good advice. I did come across Martin's video tutorials on YouTube, way too advanced for me but so nice to watch when done properly. At least it gives me something to aim for (in the longer run). I didn't know about Randy Greenway's website/blog so thanks for pointing me towards it.

:)

edle

Thu May 20, 2010 12:34 pm

Just try to learn the basic controls of the kite first. Straight line, circle(clockwise and anti-clockwise) and try to avoid noseplant. Try to fly your kite in low to medium wind. Avoid flying in high wind or you will kill your kite. When you can control the kite without thinking too much, then you can start to learn tricks.

Check out this link...It will keep you busy for at least a year. =D> =D> =D>
http://www.prismkites.com/lounge-training.php

The most important thing is to find a nice big open space to fly your kite closer to home. :D

cristobal
Topic Author

Thu May 20, 2010 1:26 pm

edle wrote:
Just try to learn the basic controls of the kite first. Straight line, circle(clockwise and anti-clockwise) and try to avoid noseplant. Try to fly your kite in low to medium wind. Avoid flying in high wind or you will kill your kite. When you can control the kite without thinking too much, then you can start to learn tricks.

Check out this link...It will keep you busy for at least a year. =D> =D> =D>
http://www.prismkites.com/lounge-training.php

The most important thing is to find a nice big open space to fly your kite closer to home. :D

Thanks Edle for the tips. I'll make sure I check out the Prism website.

Closer to home, as in closer to home than Canada? ;-) Although I like Canada (love hockey!!), there are waaay too many trees and it could make for some messy flying and landing!... :-D

cristobal
Topic Author

Mon May 24, 2010 9:23 pm

I think I'm going through the learning curve "as normal". I broke my first bit of carbon during my first flying session. Hmmm...

SteveC

Mon May 24, 2010 9:50 pm

cristobal wrote:
I think I'm going through the learning curve "as normal". I broke my first bit of carbon during my first flying session. Hmmm...

Lower leading edge at the ferrule by any chance? It's a bit of a weak spot on the Jive especially if you get a tip wrap - I broke several when I started. In the end I converted it to one piece and I've had no further problems. If you work your way through the Flight School DVD you'll soon get the hang of it. At least spare spars are cheap! You want to try to meet up with other fliers if you can, they can usually give you a few tips.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

cristobal
Topic Author

Mon May 24, 2010 9:59 pm

SteveC wrote:
cristobal wrote:

Lower leading edge at the ferrule by any chance? It's a bit of a weak spot on the Jive especially if you get a tip wrap - I broke several when I started. In the end I converted it to one piece and I've had no further problems. If you work your way through the Flight School DVD you'll soon get the hang of it. At least spare spars are cheap! You want to try to meet up with other fliers if you can, they can usually give you a few tips.

Upper actually (if that's the one closer to the nose).

Roy Reed showed me what the Jive can do when in the hands of a proper pilot... =D> much for me to learn. :oops:

SteveC

Mon May 24, 2010 10:12 pm

Seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5lHv4ulOpM

Great little kite the Jive.

atho

Tue May 25, 2010 12:06 pm

I broke several when I started. In the end I converted it to one piece and I've had no further problems

I did the same thing the ferrule is a weak point, buy a spare length so when you out on the field you can fix it and continue to fly :D

cristobal
Topic Author

Tue May 25, 2010 3:14 pm

atho wrote:
I broke several when I started. In the end I converted it to one piece and I've had no further problems

I did the same thing the ferrule is a weak point, buy a spare length so when you out on the field you can fix it and continue to fly :D

Great tip that. I'll make sure I order some extra rods.