Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

cristobal
Topic Author

Novice seeking advice on what to buy

Tue May 11, 2010 12:35 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been sent to this forum by Roy R whom I met while trying to fly my power kite (HQ Symphony) on Clapham Common.
I do realise I may have bought the wrong type of kite (especially for launching unassistedly).
I bought my Symphony 170 off Amazon Marketplace as I didn't know any better.
I am now looking at buying a delta wing kind of kite. I don't know what is a good (half-decent) brand and model from one to avoid. I don't want to spend more than 50 quid (incl. flying lines) to start with.
I would really appreciate any help or advice in guiding me purchase the right kite this time.
Many thanks in advance.

Chris

Flying Fish

Re: Novice seeking advice on what to buy

Tue May 11, 2010 12:42 pm

Hi Chris

I'm sure you'll get lots of advice, from people who are way more knowledgeable than I am, so I'll simply tell you how I started about a year and a half ago. At that point, I didn't want to spend too much money, as I didn't know whether I'd like flying kites or not, so after some web-searching, I bought a HQ Yukon.

That was 20+ kites ago, but I still have the Yukon (slightly battered) and use it to give friends a first taste of flying a delta-duallie.

Enjoy!

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue May 11, 2010 2:09 pm

Bigger is slower and easier to learn on.
Secondhand means you get a better kite for your money.

Don't forget lines and handles: a decent set of lines will take you a long way even though they may seem expensive for a newbie. I would recommend 75 ft as a good line length to start and dyneema is essential. Handles: don't use reels, they are impossible to get even line lengths on, but apart from that, choose what you like.

As for kites, I seem to remember some New Jams for sale somewhere on here, I started on a Jam session, which was great for me.
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Needs to fly more, now that I can.

SteveC

Tue May 11, 2010 2:25 pm

Hi Chris,

If you can run to just a little more than your £50, and you are quick, I would recommend The HQ Jive The old model BLUE one NOT the new Orange/Green Jive 2 ( which is rubbish).

The old model Jive comes with a good set of lines and is a really great all round starter kite. It will do most tricks and flies well in 4-18 MPH winds. I have 2 and still fly them regularly. Kiteworld still have some in stock.

!!!!!UPDATE!!!! there is a almost new one on Ebay NOW at a buy it now price of
£45 + £5 P&P....absolute bargain and in your £50 budget.

Jive kite HERE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5lHv4ulOpM
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

cristobal
Topic Author

Tue May 11, 2010 3:56 pm

Vee wrote:
Bigger is slower and easier to learn on.
Secondhand means you get a better kite for your money.

Don't forget lines and handles: a decent set of lines will take you a long way even though they may seem expensive for a newbie. I would recommend 75 ft as a good line length to start and dyneema is essential. Handles: don't use reels, they are impossible to get even line lengths on, but apart from that, choose what you like.

As for kites, I seem to remember some New Jams for sale somewhere on here, I started on a Jam session, which was great for me.

Thanks all for your replies, they're really appreciated.

Vee,
How big (or small) should I be going? I was told 6" wingspan minimum. Yet, most kites I've seen are 1.2-1.4m across. Maybe, it's just due to the sites I've been looking at.

Also, what's a good online shop? Or 'proper' shop (I'm in London)?

Cheers

Flying Fish

Tue May 11, 2010 4:07 pm

Also, what's a good online shop?

On-line shops I've used myself regularly, and have no hesitation recommending, for kites, spares, lines, etc:

http://www.thehighwaymen.co.uk/
http://www.kiteworld.co.uk/
http://kites4u.co.uk/

Sub

Tue May 11, 2010 6:05 pm

cristobal wrote:
How big (or small) should I be going? I was told 6" wingspan minimum. Yet, most kites I've seen are 1.2-1.4m across. Maybe, it's just due to the sites I've been looking at.

Welcome to the forum Chris.

The majority of trick kites are roughly same width. This is a sweet spot for the weight and agility in most suitable winds and which is dictated by the length of off the shelf carbon rods.

Also, for a standard weight kite, you should just be concerned whether it's ok to fly in 8-12mph. Quoting ridiculous figures like 22mph is rubbish, because you'll never want to be out in that kind of wind unless you intend to break your kite. For a beginner, stick with as light a breeze as you possibly can, so you have time to react and learn.

jaydub

Tue May 11, 2010 6:28 pm

Also try Richard Marsh at Tradewinds:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tradewindk ... kites.html

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue May 11, 2010 7:04 pm

cristobal wrote:

Also, what's a good online shop? Or 'proper' shop (I'm in London)?

Cheers

Definately go for nominal 6ft (trick kite) or 8ft (team kite - more for straight line stuff but not exclusively). Smaller kites will be faster so therefore harder to control, not to mention needing more wind to fly.

Another way is to see what is available here in the FA library, and get to borrow a decent kite for a prolonged period for the price of postage.
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

atho

Tue May 11, 2010 8:52 pm

Check out the library on here. I have a HQ Jive that never get flown needs a lower LE, that was my first kite, so pm me if you want it

cristobal
Topic Author

Tue May 11, 2010 9:47 pm

atho wrote:
Check out the library on here. I have a HQ Jive that never get flown needs a lower LE, that was my first kite, so pm me if you want it

Thanks atho, I will pm you later.