Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Ashbridge
Topic Author

Flic-Flac dead spots

Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:06 am

(Imagine this in a Seinfeld monologue voice)

What's the deal with these flic-flac dead spots?

Am I momentarily intersecting with an alternate dimension?

One second, everything's fine and smooth and regular...then you get this reluctance to comply.  Then a few seconds later, everything's normal again.

Temperamental wind issue?  Slack management issue?  What?  Surely there's a scientific explanation.

711jrp

Re: Flic-Flac dead spots

Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:01 pm

Depends on the kite, some are bad for it the cosmic comes to mind while others just bang then out. I think wing wash out affects it the most (that's how much the wing tips are off the ground when the kite is face down.
Pete
Fivers are alive
50% of the dognappers

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:17 pm

To avoid the dead spot - don't let the kite pitch too much, ie. don't let it fully pancake. Flic-flacs tend to need smooth winds and then smaller inputs than you'd expect ... none of this Prism video shit

The Cosmic is bad, so is the Vendetta - but then I've watched much better pilots than me (RandyG, ShawnT) flic-flac these kites for fun.

-Frazer

Ashbridge
Topic Author

Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:47 am

Cheers for the replies.
Actually just returned from a decent park session...no dead spot issues this evening.

@Frazer:  laughed at your Prism comment.  Looking back, that video was definitely more hindrance than help to me for my first couple of flying years.