Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Zippy8
Topic Author

Challenger Sails demo tour

Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:51 pm

Here's the deal:- Challenger Sails have provided two of their kites, a Mondrianand a Miró, for demo. purposes. Both are standard wind range kites. You can have them to play with gratis. But there is a quid pro quo.

In return for the loan of these very nice kites, and they come as a package deal, you will:-
    • write something in the relevant Reviews threads about the kites. Something worthwhile.
    • look after the kites and pass them along in the condition you received them. If you break something, repair it; if you tweak something strangely, put it back to as it was.
    • be responsible for getting it whoever's next in line.
Not too much to ask, is it ? :sly:

As of now I've seen the urgently waving arms of:-
    ObijuanKenobe
    Craig
    PieroS
    Fiction
    Kareloh
    Bastiaan

I'll be moving them along sometime towards the end of February so if we all line up nicely (drop me a PM or mail) then I can draw up a sane routemap for their progress. Although these aren't my kites I will take a slightly possessive stance over them to see that Challenger Sails get what they want out of this. It's just my way.

Mike.
Last edited by Zippy8 on Sun May 17, 2009 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pierre

Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:30 pm

Wow..that's nice !!
Maybe it could be send to Holland...i (and i'm sure more dutch pilots are) am very interested .

ObijuanKenobe

Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:46 pm

:bigups:

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Zippy8
Topic Author

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:45 pm

Pierre wrote:
Maybe it could be send to Holland...i (and i'm sure more dutch pilots are) am very interested .

We can make it yet more international, no problem. Throw me a name/some names and I'll try to route it that way at some point.

Mike.

kareloh

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:52 pm

Well, put me on the list!
Pretty curious about those kites

Zippy8
Topic Author

Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:25 am

kareloh wrote:
Well, put me on the list!

zippy8 wrote:
(drop me a PM or mail)

[-(

Mike.

kareloh

Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:41 am

:oops:

PM sent

Zippy8
Topic Author

Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:54 am

Oh yeah....

Just to compare the two.

Similar but different. Not just scale versions of each other.

They will be on their way this week. But to whooooooo....... :-D

Mike.

Miles F

Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:50 pm

Nice original looking pair of kites.
A NOHD will be published for the DS in due course, till then wear sunnies.

Zippy8
Topic Author

Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:28 am

The kites are now on their merry way to Norway. Obi has suggested that he'll only keep it for a short while but that's up to him. From there they'll probably be making their way to the UK, hopefully to do the rounds during the festival season.

I had to break down the LEs as otherwise I would be funding a major part of the economic recovery. If they continue this way then you'll have to reglue the LLE stoppers and tidy up the wingtips. I've included pictures of how to do this.

Mike.

Zippy8
Topic Author

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:50 pm

The kites are now with Obi in the pleasant surroundings of Trondheim, Norway - one of the few regular kiting locations actually to the north of me.

We look forward to hearing about them from him soon :wink:

Mike.

ObijuanKenobe

Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:50 am

Sorry guys.

I misunderestimated my workload this month. :( I got stuck with a working trip to Italy this weekend requiring alot of extra weekend time this month. Do they look nice? Hell yeah. :cool: How do they fly? Hell if I know. :cry:

At this point weather permitting, the kites will fly over Easter a couple sessions...then will move on promptly the week after regardless. I'll then comment officially. :?

1000 apologies,
obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

ObijuanKenobe

Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:50 am

Well, the moderator of this most generous little kite exchange is now getting a bit annoyed with me (justifiably). I am also getting a bit weary of the pressure...when you have kites on loan, you try even harder to find the time and wind to fly.

I am terribly disappointed to report that I didn't get them in the air over Easter. The wind was way over the top on one day, and the next three were sunny and dead. The Ghost did a few 360's each day, and that was about it. The camera operator was even more annoyed that I dragged her out each of these days.

It would have been bad enough this month with zero air time, but then with the added let down of sending kites onward without really flying them. I'll spell it for you:

L...A...M...E.

The kites themselves are well sewn, and look pretty tight. I got the big one out on Saturday (a dead day), and held it in a fade while walking backward...tried to roll out and fly off, and it just sorta fell toward me. That's about all I can say.

I think it's time they move on before Mike blocks my posts and bans me from VF. At least they stayed in the same condition as I got them. Craig...a PM with an address?

ObijuanKenobe

Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:23 pm

Hello again. I got the Miro in the air today. The wind (as per usual here) was terribly variable. That said, there is some video. :shock:

Some rather random comments HERE.

obi

(Do you know the music?? :) )
Last edited by ObijuanKenobe on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

kareloh

Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:48 pm

We still miss that laugh at our field jay! Come fly with us soon!