Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Zippy8
Topic Author

TNT by two

Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:32 pm

Well as everyone else seems to be showing off their TNTs I thought I'd join in.

Clickable.

What the TNT represents is the kite world's equivalent of Pippa Middleton's arse - it's been around for a while but it's only recently that people have realised how much they want to get their hands on it. Similarly getting your hands on it isn't as straightforward as you might hope. I think the comparison stands up well to scrutiny :wink:

On the left is the single-standoff-ed Zero (not even on the revamped website) which uses the same sail material as the Cosmic TC Ghost (for the white bit at least) and a similar frame. It seems to tread the same sort of wind range too. On the right is the fourth in the four strong "Standard" range - the “Standard Competition Aerostuff” although mine doesn't seem to be quite the same spec. as the aforementioned website. Numbered 253 and 254.

Whilst I agree that the bloody huge TNT "logo" looks naff in pictures it sort of ceases to exist once you get flying. I really can't say that it has bothered me in flight. And what a flight it is. Just a short time with both kites in... poor... winds but lots to appreciate. Early impressions are that it's a trick kite that just happens to be quite big, much in the same way that the Akuji is. Very eager to spin so I'm being easily tempted into Multis where I might not have with other kites. Lots of details in the build too; some that make me go "oooooh", some that make me go "huh". Piccies later.

The kite that saved the world - no.
The kite that put a smile on my face - yes. But one of many.

Mike.

Coogee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: TNT by two

Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:44 pm

Groovy kites.The black and white looks a bit zebra skin.
Mike

Zippy8
Topic Author

Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:36 am

Coogee wrote:
Groovy kites.The black and white looks a bit zebra skin.

Yeah, to match the seat covers in my Capri :wink:

Coupla things....

I hadn't noticed that I'd been flying the Zero in bugger all winds with the bridle set quite high. Pushing it all the way up and suddenly it's a very minimal wind kite indeed but still moving about the way we all like. I wondered how they did that so I took it to the scales. The Zero weighs 180 grammes. In comparison the Cosmic TC Ghost weighs a lardy 250 grammes. Although the spars are unhelpfully unlabelled I suspect that the Zero is mostly framed in Skinny ULs with (maybe) the spine in Skinny SUL, which would help, but there is also a mildly obsessional approach to shedding weight - thinner bridle lines, lighter Mylar™ reinforcements, two less standoffs :wink: - whilst keeping it strong enough not to need pansying around the sky. It's close to indoor-able as is but I might consider pulling the tail weight if I try that out.

The Standard CA is also quite the lightweight too - 260 grammes - due to Skyshark 3PT LEs which sit oddly with Aerostuff Gold S LSs for me. I haven't had the opportunity to see much of how this flies so far though but what little I have has been all good.

V. nice kites. There's a real power struggle going on in my kite bag right now :-D

Mike.

Coogee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:06 am

Zebra skin seat covers in the Capri, classy!
If the zero weighs in at 180 grms the spar labels have probably been removed as part of the weight shedding.
Mike

HiFly

Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:41 pm

Zippy8 wrote:
Although the spars are unhelpfully unlabelled I suspect that the Zero is mostly framed in Skinny ULs with (maybe) the spine in Skinny SUL

http://www.drachenwiki.de/index.php?title=TNT
Mike

Zippy8
Topic Author

Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:55 am

HiFly wrote:
http://www.drachenwiki.de/index.php?title=TNT

What does this say now, 'cos it was borked ?

Another closer look and... it has a Skyshark 3PT spine. Very pick 'n' mix.

Mike.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:19 pm

Zippy8 wrote:
Another closer look and... it has a Skyshark 3PT spine. Very pick 'n' mix.

Mike.

Is this the spine for the Std AS version?

HiFly

Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:35 pm

sorry, read at drachenforum today that drachenwiki is down for ~2 days

it said Skinny UL for LEs and Skinny SUL for spine and LSs. US is Avia .188

or ask Heiko&Mathias :wink:
Mike

Zippy8
Topic Author

Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:04 pm

Well I finally took out the calipers and poked around a bit. This is how mine are:-
           US       LS           LE         Spine
Zero      .188    Skinny SUL   Skinny UL    3PT
Std CA    5.5mm   Gold S       3PT          P300

Now neither are quite how described (different spines, oddly) but I'm hardly complaining as the results are stellar. Just FYI. The Zero's lack of mass is quite a clever trick though; very much an SUL.

We should be due some sunshine tomorrow so I'll try to get some piccies of the build details - definitely interesting and in some places even good :wink:

Mike.

Zippy8
Topic Author

Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:59 am

I think that you good people deserve to see some close ups of these nigh-on legendary beasts :-) As I said, plenty of interesting details.

Not small at 2.35m~7' 8"-

"Centre T" is a tied on ferrule. Neat construction.

This is how it works at the back of the kite. Adjustable active leech line too.

Bridle lines attach to LSs. NOT a cross-bridle. Also not sure what this achieves but I'd like to hear an explanation.

Tidy and reinforced LE connector covers. Note the clean bridle details, typical of the kite.

Go back to the first picture and point out the yoyo stoppers :wink: They are tucked on the back of the kite with reinforced covers. THIS is worth imitating as they work very well when needed and disappear when not.

It has some plug in tail weight. Moving on....

Is it well put together ? Look over the stitching and decide for yourselves.

Possibly the one thing I might consider mulling over the suggestion of pondering whether or not to take a risk on the chance of changing - this style of standoff connector can be line magnets when using thin line. 50# hooks up in there a treat so I'll have to remember leaders every time.

I've not moved on too much from my initial assessment that this is more of a trick orientated kite than some of my others. It'll tolerate figures, lines and such frippery but doesn't seem aimed at them.

Mike.

krijn
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:37 am

yes, looking good!

(i've had those yoyo-stoppers on my nse, but i cut them through in about one year..., i'm thinking of rollbars on my tnt)

i just put my leaders on every kite, not on the lines
(i grab them together and roll them up with the kite when packing)

Krijn

HiFly

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:57 am

Zippy8 wrote:
Bridle lines attach to LSs. NOT a cross-bridle. Also not sure what this achieves but I'd like to hear an explanation.

that is the basic explanation from Heiko @ drafo
Zweck der neuen Waage ist es, den Windbereich nach oben zu erweitern und die S-förmige Durchbiegung der Spreizen zu verhindern. Der Strong war der erste TNT mit dieser Waage und hat den Anknüpfpunkt ziemlich weit aussen auf der unteren Spreize. Bei den später umgerüsteten STDs und ULs hat sich ein etwas weiter innen liegender Punkt bewährt.

... expands the upper windrange and avoids the S-shaped deformation of the LS

btw I have no problems with the Jaco Standoffs at all (using leaders) and I love the cordura strip for reinforcement
Mike

kareloh

Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Are the LE tunnels sewn in front or in the back of the sail instead of arround it.

Like so:
/\| (where /\ is the tunnel and | is the sail)

Zippy8
Topic Author

Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:50 pm

Very observant. Awards yourself some points =D>

The LE tunnels, made from some very light material with a small grid pattern, are indeed sewn onto the back of the sail. The only reason I can come up with for this is to tidy up those connector reinforcement areas.

Mike.

Coogee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:53 pm

I am not a fan of the Jaco stand off fittings. I got some fittings from Tim that had metal screws to secure them. Work a treat and on a build you only need a very small hole in your trailing edge to get the screw through. I think this gives the trailing edge a bit more strength at that point. Have not had one catch even with 50 lb line.
Mike