Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

lasapcheong
Topic Author

CR Element vs Benson Deepspace?

Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:34 am

Hi,

Anybody who have flown both kites have any good comparison's between the 2? They seemed to be of a similar style so I'm curious about any differences that sets them apart.

Thanks
Darryl
"One Day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual line for a minute anywhere in the window"

Zippy8

Re: CR Element vs Benson Deepspace?

Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:06 am

lasapcheong wrote:
They seemed to be of a similar style............

To whom ? :crazy:

The Element was limited to 50, including those going to supported flyers. Good luck finding one. And much as I like mine it has a very individual flavour. Nobody dislikes the DS.

Mike.

berkeley64608

Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:31 pm

Not at all D. Different kites totally. Tracy in Berkeley has a blue one that carl gave her. I have some time on it.. It's kinda funky (like that ONE blue kite i have...) takes some getting used to and has a weird dead spot that is manageable as long as you get used to it. Totally over priced for what it is but you know how that is....

kites..

"Nobody dislikes the DS"...... & I beg to differ..

Zippy8

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Nobody of any consequence dislikes the DS.

Better ?

Mike.

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:39 pm

:(
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Needs to fly more, now that I can.

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:10 am

Zippy8 wrote:
Nobody of any consequence dislikes the DS.

Better ?

Mike.

There are those here in La La at least who fly nothing but comp. oriented kites and
its considered a little too flippy-floppy-freestyle for them.

Fair enough ...

It'd be a dull old world if we all liked (and bought) the same thing afterall.

As for my myself ... flip-floppy, competition ... its all good :D

-Frazer

Zippy8

Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:30 am

fworley wrote:
There are those here in La La at least who fly nothing but comp. oriented kites....

Ah... competition kites. The very definition of "lacking consequence".

It'd be a dull old world if we all liked (and bought) the same thing after all.

I haven't got a DS but I still like it. Like it for what it does, like it for what it is - just like it. Otherwise you are flirting with a heavy does of wrongness. We all know this to be true.

Mike.

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:44 am

Zippy8 wrote:
Otherwise you are flirting with a heavy does of wrongness. We all know this to be true.
Mike.

You're more than flirting ... just how many of those Fury series kite do you have these days anyways ....

-Frazer

Zippy8

Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:57 am

fworley wrote:
You're more than flirting ... just how many of those Fury series kite do you have these days anyways ....

You mean the World Sport Kite Championship-winning Fury ? :wink:

I can appreciate being wrong on some subjects and happily acknowledge my own repeat offences but disliking the Deep Space - c'mon now. Let's get serious for once. [-(

Mike.

berkeley64608

Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:02 am

moin?
Yeah that does ring true :roll: what-everr.. :roll:

ABP :lol:!!

FTR: Nothing i said was intended to insult mr. benson, mr. goff or mr. robertshaw
I quite enjoy their kite designs and I think mr. goffs flying style is truly the dopest freestyle shit out there at the moment. Though i wouldnt call his style or the deep space kite flippy floppy at all.
Theres far flippy & floppier kites than that fucking kite so like i said in the beginning... what-ever.
wheres that video again ?

BTW Frazer: la-la land is actually L.A. California so your reference always sounds fucking retarded.
what shall us lame ass Americans reference England as? We'll have to think of something pretty...

& I will stand by my belief and say that not everyone will benefit from owning a DS
OR an Element. Particularly the Element whose inputs dont easily translate to other kites well.
Plans are online for both of them anyways amongst a few newish kites that have been hot topic..
so you can pack that fudge in yur kitebag. Though no bridle or stopper marks for the EL
ho diddle hum.

"It'd be a dull old world if we all liked (and bought) the same thing afterall."
Omg scuse me but you all DO buy the same kites and recommend them to others.

so Pardon me.. review master. Let me try out that fluff again..

I...I...I tested the kite in the middle of the woods with trees all around me.
The wind was really smooth. It's a great kite.....
It do lot of tricks. better than fearless kite.

sincerely, gordon bennett. ABP kite team.

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:29 am

I cannot give a review of the Element, I've never flown one.

I don't like the DS, it's a great trick kite and does wonders for making me look good as I yank and spank it. I can't do what I'm trying to do on it because it is so responsive and I don't learn where I'm going wrong because it's very forgiving of wrong inputs. I like something a little slower so I can learn what I'm doing on it. Perhaps it's because I'm a little slower myself these days.

But I'm a precision flyer and therefore don't count. ;)
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Needs to fly more, now that I can.

lasapcheong
Topic Author

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:43 am

Berk : If Tracy ever wants to let go of one (keeping all limbs crossed), let me know ;)

Vee wrote:
I don't like the DS, it's a great trick kite and does wonders for making me look good as I yank and spank it. I can't do what I'm trying to do on it because it is so responsive...

Too responsive? How about some reframe with more flexible rods to slow down the responsiveness? Icones? :roll: Or maybe some Dynamics? :lol:

FWIW, I sold or rather traded my Deepspace a while ago for an Organic. Deepspace is a great kite but I find that you really need to move your feet tons (and fast) in order to get it to do stuff. The sweet spot for doing most tricks sitting down in a chair is reallly narrow. Its a fast kite but I find it hard to slow the pitch and rotations down, plus when the wind picks up it gets too brutally fast. Great wind range from low to moderate but doesn't feel too good when its high.

-D
"One Day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual line for a minute anywhere in the window"

ObijuanKenobe

Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:36 pm

lasapcheong wrote:
The sweet spot for doing most tricks sitting down in a chair is reallly narrow.

-D

Oh tell me...what kite do you recommend to do this kind of trick flying?!

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

berkeley64608

Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:40 pm

yeah..... whats with the chair thing? a rev?

=D> Truthfully D I dont think she's going to sell that kite (it was a gift from CR) but i'll ask her next time. Though you'll run into the same problem as the DS of not wanting to fly it in higher winds, the kite does get kind whippy in the high stuff. I made my own w/ p100 le's, px1 spine, 5pt Ls. Its not eurostuffed but its lighter than the original, fairly strong and flys nicer with the bridle mod.
good luck in your search for the holy grail and Sorry i missed your friend who was visiting, We bought a house down in san diego and have been totally busy
with the contractors. Maybe i'll meet him next time he's in town.
You can give him my # next time.
peace.

AND Mr. Vee there's nothing wrong with precision
What would team flying be without it? :cool:

The "Nobody of any consequence" shit... fucking brill & i'm sure it was targeted at me not you. From what i've been told by people on another forum and the locals here in the US that have met him is that he's barely current in his flying rep. (jerky was the word used) has no real proof of doing anything worthy except dropping gobs of currency on bling kites he cant fly well. So its basically all internet fame & knob shining. no wood.
ABP

@fraser:
Were YOU referencing ME flying comp kites? SO??? Were you just making shit up just to be fapping out loud on the innernet? I dont compete, I AM setting up The West Coast TP but your not invited. So i guess that's like a competition. If THAT'S what your talking about? Have you been talking to dave s. or something?

I own pretty much the same kites that most people fly these days (plus a bunch more including the DS) and i make my own kites for experimentation. I own one of those kites you were begging for in the sales area here, which happens to be a COMP kite so you might want to reconsider your request if your looking for something flippy & floppy cuz it aint. From the video getting passed around of you flying on some beach, flippy and floppy isnt exactly what i would call your flying style dude.......

what-evr................ done wasting time. Need an onion bagel and lox.
buhh-bye

ABP
Last edited by berkeley64608 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seales

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:05 pm

fworley wrote:

It'd be a dull old world if we all liked (and bought) the same thing afterall.

-Frazer

:roll:

Anyway, flew the Element for the first time on Saturday. I can see why some might not get on with it and yes, it did refuse when other kites would have just obeyed, but I liked it. A different challenge I guess.

Not comparable to the DS, but haven't flown either enough to say why exactly.