Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

damp_weather
Topic Author

Something to read

Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:36 pm

Hi,

Time to admit that I've been creating some notes around sport kite flying. You can find them here. The notes are from what we have been learning over the past couple of years, and hopefully will particularly help other relative newbies. The notes are a 12.2MByte download. (Alternatively you can download a 2MB version with heavily compressed images from this page.)

In August 2009 I originally wrote "I don't have control over the website that they are on, but I'll try to keep them updated." - They have since been updated to the end of May 2010, but no further updates are planned.

Please feel free to flame or to create something better.
If you want to build on them you are welcome to start with the existing material, downloadable as a ~79MB zipped archive from http://www.seek2know.org.uk/kites/PJKites/Kite%20notes.zip
Last edited by damp_weather on Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:05 am, edited 6 times in total.

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:58 am

I've not read the whole thing.. but looks like you've put a great deal of effort in to this.. so well done. :thumbsup:

Might I suggest "publishing" it.. on lulu.com?
Dave Morley

Miles F

Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:19 am

Great effort, makes a useful resource and addendum to bring books like Ron Moulton's Kites up to date. BTW is that my Ozone flying at Pompey?
A NOHD will be published for the DS in due course, till then wear sunnies.

damp_weather
Topic Author

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:32 am

Miles F wrote:
BTW is that my Ozone flying at Pompey?

Hope you don't mind. Yes it is, from 2007, behind the trade stalls. It was one of the very first pictures to get included. - Would you like your name credited? (The picture of the Deep Space is of yours as well, from the afternoon at the same day at the festival, but for that there is no Portsmouth skyline to give the game away.)

- By the way folks, this is a more general issue. Which is why I am replying publicly. I keep snapping away at festivals. Should I be asking permission and giving credits for the kite pictures that are included?? Where does asking for permission begin and end?

Ron Moulton's Kites.... ? - I have some more investigating to do.
Last edited by damp_weather on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

RoyReed

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:37 am

The reference to my STACK figure animations is correct, but these figures were superseded some time ago by the ISKCB figures:

www.reeddesign.co.uk//iskcb/index.html

And Lateral roles should be Lateral rolls.

And, yes - you should certainly be asking permission to use any material (photographic or not) that is someone else's copyright - especially as you are claiming copyright on the document yourself.
Last edited by RoyReed on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

Visage

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:37 am

Superb at last I have some Kite related reading matter for the little boys room :-D

I’ve got it printed as a stapled & folded A5 booklet very handy for quick reference on the field, Must have taken quite a while to research and gather all that information.

Many Thanks damp weather
Member of BKF & KKF
aka – fair weather flyer

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:50 am

I've been impressed with what I've read so far - are you planning on maintaining/updating it on a regular basis?
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

damp_weather
Topic Author

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:58 am

RoyReed wrote:
The reference to my STACK figure animations is correct, but these figures were superseded some time ago by the ISKCB figures:

www.reeddesign.co.uk//iskcb/index.html

And Lateral roles should be Lateral rolls.

Thanks Roy. I will fix these. Hopefully should appear in an amended edition in about a month's time. (I update the document more often than that, but don't want to ask the webmaster to upload a revision too often.)

And, yes - you should certainly be asking permission to use any material (photographic or not) that is someone else's copyright - especially as you are claiming copyright on the document yourself.

Sorry. I must not be clearly stating the issue.
For the record, to the best of my knowledge, there are no photographs or text in the document that have been created by others - And if I start adding them, I will seek their permission.

The issue regards me taking photographs of others, or more specifically, their kites. So far, as far as I am aware, I have avoided taking photos at events where the organisers forbid it. But suppose I took a photo of your Gemini or Nirvana at the Streatham kite festival? (I don't think I did, but it's a good hypothetical.) Suppose I include a picture of the kite within the notes? Suppose I include a picture of you flying the kite within the notes? Suppose I include a picture of a number of people including yourself flying kites within the notes?
And suppose I go down the Lulu route and create a document that people pay for??
That's the sort of issues I am worried about.

RoyReed

Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:09 am

Sorry I misunderstood, I thought you'd grabbed photos from the web. I doubt if anyone would object, but in theory you should get a model release form (for the person, not the kite - especially true these days if the subject is a minor). It would probably apply more seriously if you were charging for this. Examples here:

www.professionalphotographer.co.uk/Maga ... lease-Form
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

damp_weather
Topic Author

Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:10 am

mobius wrote:

Thanks for suggesting this Dave. It is very kind of you.

In the longer term, for a more complete document, or perhaps just for some parts of one, I was wondering if lulu would save people printer costs and give better printed images? But I feel that there is a lot more that should be added first. Perhaps we can return to this in several months' time?

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:15 pm

From a brief look (well done!), a little erratum: The standard and comp Akujis are different kites.

Peter

Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:18 pm

If the photograph is taken at a public event for your personal use then fine, if you wish to use that photo for publication or personal benefit then permissions need to be obtained.
P.S. do not photograph a policeman, even a police car or the station, at any time, this is now deemed as an illegal action, and a criminal offence!! this is now part of the anti trerrorist laws!!!
This has caused havoc for tourists in London! it's down to the officers in charge as to how they act upon it - I've had my camera confiscated once, but returned shortly after intact - they can be a bit touchy.

Great write up, thanks, I need it!
Last edited by Peter on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SteveC

Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:20 pm

Excellent! I wish something like this had been around when I started to get interested in the sport! This will help a lot of people. :D

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:09 pm

damp_weather wrote:
mobius wrote:

Thanks for suggesting this Dave. It is very kind of you.

In the longer term, for a more complete document, or perhaps just for some parts of one, I was wondering if lulu would save people printer costs and give better printed images? But I feel that there is a lot more that should be added first. Perhaps we can return to this in several months' time?

My colleague has published a book on there.. the quality is very good.. nicely bound. Even if you do it just for yourself, is worth the energy I think.
Dave Morley

oldflyer
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:06 pm

This looks like a very comprehensive piece of work. It must have taken ages to compile. I’m looking forward to reading it. It just needs a nice glossy cover now