Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Mark E Mark
Topic Author

Inflammatory T-Shirts...? ;)

Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:12 pm

Now my local kite club are a very nice bunch....the only problem is that they are mostly 'power' kiters. Over the last couple of years I've done some T-shirt design for the club to boost morale and raise a little funding - the latest was entirely dedicated to power kiting.

Well, there are a few trick kiters so I thought I would redress the balance and do one for them (us....ME). This is what I have come up with (the REAL part refers to the fact that when the club was originally set up it was all stunt/trick flying).

anOldMan

Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:42 pm

I doubt that you have to worry about copyright problems with the kite pattern design. :D :D [-o<
anOldMan

Mark E Mark
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:05 pm

Hmm...fair enough - I thought Mark wouldn't mind...would be polite to actually ask him though - will sort out a PM pronto.

OK - PM sent - should have done that first really :oops:

(P.S. - your avatar doesn't seem to dispaly old man)

Blownfuse

Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:33 pm

And the Sex Pistols also comes to mind. :bigups:

Cool shirt ! My only..... concern with the design is, that if I so somebody wearing it, I would first think it was a metalhead, a punk (not in a derogatory way!) or the shirt of some delinquent gang.

It probably is just me, but black and skulls and flames and anarchy-symbols point me in that direction, I must say. Which is rather odd, since I like black, skulls, flames and to some degree anarchy-symbols (though I don´t like it, used as a fashion item, which it usually is).

But ! My point being : If I saw somebody wearing this, I would probably go in ready-to-protect-myself-mode (exagerated, but to make a point), unless the person was flying a kite, carrying a kitebag or doing something else kite-related. If the person was´nt doing some kite-related stuff, I probably would´nt even notice the 2 kites in the design.

Just my conception of the design, and in a couple of hours it is very likely that I think it is coolest shirt design ever.

Hope you don´t take this the wrong way, because it is´nt meant to be. I just feel that the design more insinuates "death and destruction", than "Hey, this is fun, come and join us".
:-k
JoE Talon UL
MB Webbed Synthesis
AeroStar Stryke Fighter
What next...
Blue Moon MSE UL on the way
:-$

Zippy8

Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:43 pm

Blownfuse wrote:
a metalhead, a punk (not in a derogatory way!) or the shirt of some delinquent gang.

Or a fan of quality Swedish bearings.

Mike.

Mark E Mark
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:43 pm

It is rather supposed to be in the style of an old school biker type shirt - supposedly thrown together from disparate elements.

Blownfuse wrote:
the shirt of some delinquent gang.

That does rather describe the handful of trick kiters it's intended for ;)

(not really supposed to be a 'welcome to trick flying' - type experience ;))
Last edited by Mark E Mark on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy S
King of FA

Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:45 pm

I quite like it :thumbsup:

Mark E Mark
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:50 pm

Ah cool...Mark has just PM'ed me to say I can use the Talon outline - many, many thanks :).

(I've even managed to work my initials into it!)

Flying Fish

Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:58 pm

Like it as well! Maybe if you use thicker white lines for the kites, they become more 'obvious'?

Mark E Mark
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:03 pm

Actually, I've just made exactly that modification :)

Increased the line thickness of the kites outlines
Made the 'the' very slightly smaller
Moved the SKF bit very slightly to the left
Done a few other little bits that the picture res isn't good enough to show

playing with eyeballs now....

Mark E Mark
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:36 pm

OK, now with all the latest changes - I'm not sure about the eye ball?

Flying Fish

Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:46 pm

To be honest, I don't feel the eyeball improves the design.

Mark E Mark
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:19 pm

No, I don't think it does either - will delete it.

Blownfuse

Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:27 pm

Kites are more visible now. Me like better ! The eye.... Me don´t know...

Besides that, you have been aiming for "old school biker type", which I could have added to "metalhead, a punk (not in a derogatory way!) or the shirt of some delinquent gang", it´s in the same realm.

Also, you are making a design, for a specific group who will probably mostly wear them at specific meetings or events. To that purpose the design is fine, and furthermore it is your "gang", so you know what will suit it best.

And I do really think v1.02 is much better. Still not my cup of tea, but it prolly would have been, oohhh.... 12-14 years ago. Guess I´m slowly transforming into a boring old fart....
:alright:

Or a fan of quality Swedish bearings.

Mike.

:lolmen:

Ps. Just realised ! You presented your design, but you really did´nt ask for oppinions.... And I barge in and (Monty Python voices) "Ooww, don´t like that..." "No, don´t like it...". I´m sorry about that. Shows to tell everybody is a critic at any given chance. Maybe I´ll learn my lesson, I regret my not-asked-for-critiscism.
[-o<

Pps. And good to show them power-kiters, that the tricksters are alive and well. (I hope)
8-)
JoE Talon UL
MB Webbed Synthesis
AeroStar Stryke Fighter
What next...
Blue Moon MSE UL on the way
:-$

Mark E Mark
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:38 pm

Well, it's all intended as a bit of an 'in' joke I'm afraid. When the SKF were formed it was almost exclusively stunt/trick flying. As the years progressed and kiting altered in popularity the club gradually became much more biased towards power kiting. Now unfortunately the insurance required by the club insists that it will only cover power kiting and that only this activity can take place. As a result, those of us who only fly trick kites are bizarrely no longer actual members (we are honorary members bit not included in the members list). This makes us something of a splinter group - outsiders – rebels without a (T-Shirt)........well, you get the idea, hence the design (I’ve only recently done a quite different design just for the power kite membership of the club).

Right, I've spent a whole day of my holiday on it - it's done (I've spent longer than that on it in fact):

P.S. It's fine with the criticism - I just dismiss it out of hand if I don't like/agree with it :).

Last edited by Mark E Mark on Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.