Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

jrharrold
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:34 pm

Sorry but I don't know. I've heard of it and i've read desriptions in the past but I still haven't a clue :cry:
Jeremy
Stratford upon Avon
England

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:53 pm

A "lewis" is a rolled up lazy susan.
You can download a vid here:
http://bscv.free.fr/video/lewis.wmv

Juha
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:16 pm

h_i_r_0 wrote:
Come on - one of you longbeards tell us young'uns how it's done? please?

Longbeards? Hmmmm... 8-)

The Insane itself is a very simple trick, it's the setup that's sometimes a bit hairy. Basically, the Insane consists of holding one line tight against the trailing edge in a more-or-less turtle position and the kite spinning around that point, losing height in the process. It looks a bit (but just a bit) like doing continuous Lazy Susans. Here's how I do it:

1) Do an aggressive right handed half axel from a position where the nose of the kite points roughly to 8 o'clock. You can also do a right-handed spin axel - whichever setup you use, the goal is just to get the kite to overrotate straight into a turtle position by providing slack.

2) When the kite falls on its back, keep tight the line you popped the axel with and let the other go slack.

3) The right hand line should now be tight against the trailing edge and the kite starting to spin around it. From this point on, it's just a question of holding on to the line and watching while the kite spins towards the ground.

4) You can either let the spin continue until the kite lands or stop it in midair by pulling softly on the other line until the kite ends up in a stable turtle/bacflip.

Hope that helps. It's probably wise to practice the Insane by starting it from a turtle - just pull on one line and keep it tight while giving slack on the other and see what happens. Having "mastered" that complicated procedure :lol: , you can then start integrating the setup into the trick.