Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Kite killers for Nirvana

Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:56 am

Anyone got any recommendations for kite killers for the N?

I've got a 'nappy' that came with my old Tramontana (like a single rectangular mesh sheet that goes between the lines and the bridle tows), but I figure that's going to get in the way of any pitch tricks, and probably screw up most tricks.

I've also seen the robertshaw style brakes that go in between the standoffs, but the standoffs on the Nirvana are quite close together, so I'm not sure they'll work.

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Kite killers for Nirvana

Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:45 am

h_i_r_0 wrote:
I've also seen the robertshaw style brakes that go in between the standoffs, but the standoffs on the Nirvana are quite close together, so I'm not sure they'll work.

Do you mean the Wah pads? These are triangular pieces of mesh that attach along the bottom cross spreaders and up to the top. Shouldn't need to mess with the stand-offs.

Personally.. any form of brake is going to alter tricks. Wah pads are probably the best for minimising this. Have you considered heavier line to create more drag and thus slow the kite down?
Dave Morley

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:57 am

Having searched on 'wah pads kites' I found this page:
http://www.kites.org/jo/wind.html#wah pads
which has some great tips to try. Think I'll knock some of those up next week...

I thought the Robertshaw ones I saw at Flight school fitted between the standoffs, but these look much better.

Thanks for the pointer Dave. 8)

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:01 am

kite killers are the things that neandertals... i mean traction kiters attach to their brake lines and their wrists so they can drop the handles and "kill" the kite if it scares em

www.fracturedaxel.co.uk

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:24 am

You should know Mr 'Nearly bought some PKs'... :P :P

If it's adrenaline you want, then start practicing for next season's comps... ;)

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:41 pm

Roger T G recommended those Carl Robertshaw Wah pad things for the N. on Bilbouquet forums recently.

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:26 pm

Martin: found enough webbing in my sewing box :oops: to make two sets of these... want a pair?

I'm thinking some fairly stiff round elastic to larks head on the upper spreader (passing the pad through the loop) and then velcro at the bottom... Not sure how Carl's fit the top spreader without removing the spar (as stated in the text) but I reckon a larks head's as good as anything.

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:59 pm

that would bee cool, pantie liners all round... the larks head sounds fine.

Martin

www.fracturedaxel.co.uk

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:07 pm

h_i_r_0 wrote:
Not sure how Carl's fit the top spreader without removing the spar (as stated in the text)

Ok... you have a triangle shaped piece of mesh with a velcro'd sleave (dacron) at the base and a velcro tab at the top with a loop of string. All you do is open the velcro at the base and attach it to the bottom spreader, then loop the loop of string over the top spreader and back down again to the top strip of velcro with you close around it (similar kind of thing to what you get on some kites at the base of the spine to hold the spine and trick line in).

This works really well and is quick to put on and remove from the kite.
Dave Morley

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:53 pm

I've made a pair now... fixed loop of elastic at the top to larkshead onto the upper spreader and a velcro fixing at the bottom... seems pretty tough. sure it'll do fine.

Out of dacron and velcro now though, so Martin's gonna have to wait. (sorry)

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:25 pm

Hahaha.. and now the wind drops to 0. So typical!