Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Old Tom

Sat May 30, 2009 8:54 pm

This brings back memories! I have quite a lot of Tim's first kites- single line (Kluster, Honeycomb, Asteroid, Bee and possibly a Conyne) and two line (Scorcher 1 & 2, Phantom, Wasp). I also have his early 1988 catalogue/price list which only has single line kites in it. The first batch of six Scorchers were a different colour to the one you have and were knocked out in time (ust) for the 1988 AKA convention in Chicago- they are black with flo pink, flo yellow and flo orange stripes (framed in Vlieger Op 6mm and 5mm GRP tube), no standoffs and have no labels. It is a fast, frisky, attention demanding kite to fly- bit overweight and prone to luffing if you drop the speed. My early Phantom has no label and may well predate yours (Beman carbon and beautiful handmade fittings)- the orange on black machine sewn label first appeared in about September 1988 if I remember correctly on the single line kites and occassionally on the bags (although you rarely got both together). My most hideous Phantom is the custom "Andy King" one complete with fag hanging out of his mouth (think this is a 1990 one). I remember Tim ringing us at the end of 1988 and asking for all the magazines we had showing current American designs for stunt kites (Stunt Kite Quarterly, Kitelines) and which we thought was best- there were rumblings when the Phantom appeared because it was very close in design to the Lee Sedgewick/Sue Taft Spectrum Dart (albeit without the tip fillets).

Bill Lancashire
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sun May 31, 2009 7:26 am

Old Tom wrote:
This brings back memories!

Hello Mark,

Many thanks for coming into the thread here and filling in some nice pieces of history.

Old Tom wrote:
The first batch of six Scorchers were a different colour to the one you have and were knocked out in time (ust) for the 1988 AKA convention in Chicago- they are black with flo pink, flo yellow and flo orange stripes (framed in Vlieger Op 6mm and 5mm GRP tube), no standoffs and have no labels.

I have one of those black coloured Scorchers (rather battle-scarred!).

It also has some of the intricate handmade fittings that you referred to. Look at the end detail on these upper and lower spreaders:

The ends are small wooden dowels that appear to have been carefully 'shouldered' so that they fit perfectly flush when inserted into the ends of the fibreglass spars.

It could have been yourself (or possibly Paul J.) and Tony C. who Felix and Jacob told me they saw flying the Scorchers at Blackheath and it persuaded them to get a set of Scorchers as their first two-line team kite!!!. My goodness, that was early days wasn't it?.

It would be nice if you could post an image here of the 'Early' Phantom.

Bill.
Last edited by Bill Lancashire on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

austro_astra

Sun May 31, 2009 9:51 am

Still the most beautiful kite on the market imho.

Still a proud owner of a Custom Phantom UL, circa 98/99, which I was able to refurbish with some 3wp skyshark recently with help of those awfully kind (and knowledgeable) peeps on this forum.

I remember seeing the likes of Bungle and Andy W at Blackheath in the mid nineties doing things with a Phantom I thought not possible.... Inspiring stuff. Bought my first Phantom (a Fizz standard) shortly thereafter. Tim was kind enough to indulge me soon after Benson Kites started producing under it's own banner with the first of my custom Bensons, the aforementioned Phantom UL. An indulgence that continues to this day.

Long live the Phantom.

Thanks Bill (and others) for filling us in on the history of such a great kite. I, too, would be interested to learn more about the Phantom and others. The Box Of Tricks for example.
He who dies with the most wins!

A few piccies.

Bill Lancashire
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sun May 31, 2009 10:04 am

austro_astra wrote:
Long live the Phantom.

Thanks Bill (and others) for filling us in on the history of such a great kite. I, too, would be interested to learn more about the Phantom and others. The Box Of Tricks for example.

Thanks for your post. I plan to make a thread a bit later covering the '2nd generation of Phantoms', including the 'Elite/UL' and also derivatives like the 'Fusion', 'Outer Space'(inc. Freestyle), Mini-Phantom etc. It will be nice to see photographs of your kites when we get to discuss the relevant era.

I will post a thread on the Highflyers era (1990-1992) next.

BTW, I like the custom DS in the avatar :)

Bill.
Last edited by Bill Lancashire on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fungus
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Thanks Bill
my rainbow phantom ( highfliers ) is still at rest in the loft, must get it out for an airing this summer.

If anyone is interested in adding a piece of history to their kite collection , 'SKYBUMS' have a phantom and scorcher and other 'BENSON' kites for sale.

fungus :-)
w H ind c H ecks H ar 4 w H imps

thief

Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:43 pm

hey Old Tom:
Any chance of scanning that catalog in so we can see it???? would LOVE to see some of it!!!!!
kites kayaks & corgis

Bill Lancashire
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:37 pm

thief wrote:
hey Old Tom:
Any chance of scanning that catalogue in so we can see it???? would LOVE to see some of it!!!!!

No need for Mark (Old Tom) to scan the catalogue. Tim is going to sort that from his archives!.

Bill.

Zippy8

Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:07 pm

Bill Lancashire wrote:
Mike, thanks for posting that photograph of the Romney Johnstone's red team kite.

I've don't know if this is that specific kite but The Decorators had different kites for EuroCup #1.

Mike,
you have no idea how this was playing on my mind until I went looking for the pic.

Bill Lancashire
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:24 pm

Zippy8 wrote:
Bill Lancashire wrote:
Mike, thanks for posting that photograph of the Romney Johnstone's red team kite.

I've don't know if this is that specific kite but The Decorators had different kites for EuroCup #1.

Mike,

Nice photo Mike.

As I said in my post above, the red/white/black kite image that you posted first was in fact one of the 1989 set of Phantoms badged 'Benson Kites'. The second image you posted shows the Decorators flying their second set of Phantoms that were made for them in 1990 by 'Highflyers'. I have restored one kite from this second set:

I don't know exactly when the Team changed from the '1st' to '2nd' set of Phantoms, but there was probably an overlap period. I do however have a note that Felix and Jacob recall being presented with their first set of Highflyers Phantoms (2nd Phantom set overall) at 'Bristol 1990'.

There was a final set of Decorators Team Phantoms produced by Highflyers in 1991 in Malaysia Airlines colours.

I'll post more images and details of the Highflyers kites on a separate Forum thread.

Bill.
Last edited by Bill Lancashire on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

austro_astra

Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:25 pm

Fascinating stuff :thumbsup:
He who dies with the most wins!

A few piccies.

kareloh

Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:19 am

Jep great!
So Bram/Kaasplank has an old Fizz Phantom, from what period would that be?

Bill Lancashire
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:13 pm

kareloh wrote:
Jep great!
So Bram/Kaasplank has an old Fizz Phantom, from what period would that be?

Bram's 'asymmetric' Phantom is from the early part of 1992.

I'll put up a thread later on the 'The Original Benson Phantom - 1991-1995' where that model is included.

Bill.
Last edited by Bill Lancashire on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldflyer
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:19 pm

Bill - suerb write up and photos - great stuff! Many thanks!

I think I will dig out my Benson Bee and Wasp tomorrow and fly them

I was tempted to make the Scorcher II from the Moulton book plan that I have. Some of the measurements seemed to be missing though.

Thanks again - Can't wait to read further posts from you on Tim's kies.

Nigel

Bill Lancashire
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:39 pm

oldflyer wrote:
Bill - suerb write up and photos - great stuff! Many thanks!

I think I will dig out my Benson Bee and Wasp tomorrow and fly them

I was tempted to make the Scorcher II from the Moulton book plan that I have. Some of the measurements seemed to be missing though.

Thanks again - Can't wait to read further posts from you on Tim's kies.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel.

I'm just working on the next thread about the Highflyers era at the moment, hoping to finish off some photography this weekend if the weather is kind.

Let me know which Scorcher II measurements you need and I'll see if I can help.

Bill.

Michel

Fizz Phantom - green fade

Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:10 pm

Many thanks Bill for this nice history ! :-D

Here one of the nicest Phantom Fizz - green fade - (IMHO). But it's not mine. :-(