Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

autopilot
Topic Author

Need help chosing new kite...

Sun May 17, 2009 11:55 am

Hello there. Finally managed to sign up to the forum as about 6,943 attempts at the registration Capcha code verification :)

Basically i want to get back into kitting. I have a battered E2 in need of repair and it will be about the 10th time i repair it. Until now it's just been frame parts, but now the sail needs repair too. However i now notice the E3 is out and it uses the same frame parts.

But, i have also always loved the look of the CR Fury. Aesthetically i think its the nicest looking kite design i have seen - but never flown one. So i was wondering if people could help me chose between an E2, E3 and the CR Fury.

I have been flying for year but never had the chance to really put enough time into it, but i plan to change that. I'm still really very much a novice, but i can stall a bit (never found the E2 as easy to stall as everyone says), axel and fade. Few backflips, yoyo's etc - nothing amazing and usually ends up in the dirt. I dont know any other fliers and i kind of felt like i had hit a wall with my progress.

So what the fury compared to the E2/3? Should i stick with what i know, or will a Fury open up some more tricks?

Infinitive

Sun May 17, 2009 1:13 pm

The Fury is more of a dedicated precision kite. It can and will do tricks, and it can do them nicely - but it is hard work, big inputs, buckets of slack. KRD did develop the Fury .85 as a 3/4 version of the Fury, which is easier to trick. The Fury line all suffer from being pretty awful at turtle based tricks, and fracturing an axel is for some reason very difficult... The upside is that it is very easy to comete compared to most kites.

The E2 is easier to trick, and more forgiving than both the Fury and the .85. There aren't many tricks that are out of bounds on the E2, though I feel it is a pretty substandard design compared to modern kites. I'm not sure any new kite can "open up more tricks" but perhaps a new kite will make you want to go out and fly more thus indirectly make you a better flyer.

If you are a novice and want a new kite I would not point you in the direction of the Furies, as kites like the Benson Deep Space or R-Sky Nirvana are more rounded kites, and would be much easier to learn on. I also wouldn't recommend the E3 as it is ugly and there are other producers who deserve your money more 8)

But yes I agree, the Fury has one of the best looking sails in kite history.
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

DWayne

Sun May 17, 2009 1:51 pm

Sooner or later you'll end up with a Talon, so just get a Talon and be done with it. :P

Denny
Rehab is for Quitters

autopilot
Topic Author

Sun May 17, 2009 3:29 pm

Infinitive wrote:
If you are a novice and want a new kite I would not point you in the direction of the Furies, as kites like the Benson Deep Space or R-Sky Nirvana are more rounded kites, and would be much easier to learn on.

Can you recommended somewhere in the UK for Benson and r-sky?

autopilot
Topic Author

Sun May 17, 2009 3:36 pm

Hmm, the Benson Deep Space looks lush - so you think that would be a good learner?

atho

Sun May 17, 2009 3:41 pm

http://bensonkites.com/index.html

Speak to Tim he will sort you out !!

Infinitive

Sun May 17, 2009 4:02 pm

autopilot wrote:
Hmm, the Benson Deep Space looks lush - so you think that would be a good learner?

Yes. I feel the DS is the easiest kite to trick ever made. Get one direct from Tim if you can - he's very friendly.

BTW where are you? You could try to meet up with flyers and see if you could have a go with their kites, or get flying tips.
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

booty

Sun May 17, 2009 4:38 pm

Hi Autopilot welcome to fractured axel.
I have been flying for about 8 months now and had a DS for Christmas; I have been very pleased with it.
Tim was great to deal with, the kite is really tough it’s survived me learning and crashing it with no breaks so far. And if you take the top spar and the weight out it will fly in quite low winds too.
I don’t think you will regret getting one, and as you said it looks "LUSH"

autopilot
Topic Author

Sun May 17, 2009 4:48 pm

Infinitive wrote:
BTW where are you? You could try to meet up with flyers and see if you could have a go with their kites, or get flying tips.

Shropshire area.

adampoll

Sun May 17, 2009 5:06 pm

Theres a few flyers from the wirral area if you can make it up one day and try before you buy?

I started with a DS shortly followed by a Talon. I reckon it increased my learning curve massively.
RUN WITH IT!!!!!!!LEG IT!!!!!!!!

Aeri

Mon May 18, 2009 6:58 am

Talon, DS or Gemini I'd say.. but try and fly one before deciding on it...
thats the only way to know if you'll like, dislike or fall in love with a kite
Old school was a great school

SteveC

Mon May 18, 2009 11:02 am

I believe Jaydub still has a standard Gemini for sale at a good price in the sale/wanted section. 8) ( I've already bagsied the U/L ! 8) )

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon May 18, 2009 11:48 am

If you get the chance to fly before you buy do so. And remember all of the above are opinions so here is a different one:

I prefer the fury to trick on because it is slow and requires big inputs, it gives me the thinking space I need for the next input and will forgive a little indecision so long as I make the next input big. That's how I learn, it's quite different to the way others learn, but find what works for you, don't simply assume other people are right.

This includes me of course, I may be all wrong and others are all right, after all I'm a precision flyer :-P
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Needs to fly more, now that I can.

jaydub

Mon May 18, 2009 6:33 pm

SteveC wrote:
I believe Jaydub still has a standard Gemini for sale at a good price in the sale/wanted section. 8) ( I've already bagsied the U/L ! 8) )

I still do. :)

And it's a great kite to learn on. :thumbsup: