Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

ObijuanKenobe

Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:55 am

jaybett wrote:
I absolutely despise the cavalier attitude of dog owners. It's almost like, what did you expect, he is only a dog? I expect you to take care of any damage caused by your f..en dog!

Jay

Not to keep beating a dead horse, but this ruins it for the good dog owners as well...and we hate them as well. We have regular encounters with these types. For example, recently a larger muscle dog (stafford, pit, something like this) attacked my JR, who was screaming from pain. I promptly used my foot and then hand to separate them, at which point I was told, 'Don't you kick my dog' (in Norwegian).

The dog didn't stop after I let go, so then I really did kick him. He yelped, and the owner went ballistic. Keep in mind, there was a small white dog being crushed and screaming all this time. I let him finish (without really understanding a word), then I said, 'F#¤% you' and walked off. My dog had puncture wounds in her head and ears. All she did to provoke this attack was bark from 50m away.

This pair avoids me completely now when they see me coming, and I haven't seen this dog off lead since.

Sheez, dogs are a pain.
obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Yet another f**king dog attack!

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:29 pm

anyone seen the papers today. Dogs may have to be insured at a cost of £600. I would immagine insurance companies would insist on the dog being muzzeled when in a public place as a condition of the insurance policy. You will still get the irresponsible dog owner who would refuses to get the beast insured but at least that would offer some comeback on them if something like this happens again. Why is it the wind always drops just when the dogs are lines up for the kill.

PaulW

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:44 pm

I've had dog encounters whilst flying small park fliers (polystyrene 12" wing span). Dogs go mad when anything is in the sky, kite or plane.

When I looked into it to see if I would have a case to say these people should have their dogs under control, what I found was that most parks actually have a bye law to prevent model aircraft flying. Odd, especially as they are sold everywhere as park fliers.

Kites also get a mention.

I found this statement on one park bye law

"No person shall fly a kite in such a manner as to cause danger or give reasonable grounds for annoyance to any other person".

It really seems as though if the dog owner so chose they could say "your kite was disturbing my dog and it reacted to it".

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:41 pm

Sub

Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:01 pm

Jest_of_EVE wrote:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20100309/tuk-dog-owners-facing-tough-new-regulati-dba1618.html

Nice link Mark, about time all dog owners are shown they are responsible for what their mutt gets up to.

Currently they are only breaking the law if the dog is out of control in a public place.

Ok then, does out of control = owner shouting at dog to "come here" and it blatantly ignores them, as it then proceeds to tear the kite apart. All the while the owner stood some 20ft away continues to shout commands, which the dog is ignoring. That sounds like out of control to me.

Mmm... so how are we protected by the law from that? Haven't seen any cases where a kite owner has prosecuted the dog owner for an out of control animal attack.

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:04 pm

Sub wrote:
Haven't seen any cases where a kite owner has prosecuted the dog owner for an out of control animal attack.

The inanity of the whole thing is that you can shoot a dog that worries your livestock. but not one that worries your children. Good old British priorities strike again!

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:24 pm

Tonks points out a worrying flaw in the current law.

IF....the revised law is correct, then I could 'have-at' the dog owner for instances like the time in 2005 when I had to keep my Gem airborne for 20 freakin' minutes in the freezing cold whilst the Sunday league footy team waited for me to move off of their pitch! The owner didn't appear for 15 mins, 5 mins of which was said owner trying to bring the mutt under control.

That was the most annoying and slightly embarrassing moment in my kite flying experience. But I refused to land my nice Benson creation only for it to be savaged.

I only ride my bike through that park now...nothing, it would appear, has changed.

7 minutes on foot to a great flying site and I don't dare fly there. THAT, is a fucking travesty my fellow fliers! GRRrrr.

Mark

stuartF

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:37 am

sftonkin wrote:
The inanity of the whole thing is that you can shoot a dog that worries your livestock. but not one that worries your children. Good old British priorities strike again!

Sounds more like welsh politicians to me.
Stuart
the lunatic is on the grass

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:22 pm

But what will it achieve, apart from a bit of stealth tax on the insurance premiums. When you ask the owner for their insurance details they'll still ignore you / tell you to sod off just like before because they don't want their premiums to increase.
Despite being a dog owner I'm actually in favour of compulsory insurance in principal but its never going to work :roll:

Brackie

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:08 pm

The compulsory insurance will solve nothing. The kind of people who own these dogs don't have car insurance so the won't bother geting Fido Insured.
Two weeks or so ago we were flying at Exmouth, we had our Fury in the air and the wind was not too good, about 6mph. A large Sh*t hound appeared and started chasing the kite, looking back it was not too big of a problem, when the wind gave a little I had to run a bit to keep the Fury airborne, but my wife was very upset. It was a good 3 minutes before the owner appeared. I was then asked if I could fly it lower so that Poppy or what ever the bloody thing was called could chase it!! My rebuke lasted about 3 mins consisting largely of the F word. Poppy was then harnessed up and taken back to its Merc!
I think a big problem is people have no idea how much our kites can cost, they think it's a £10 thing from the beach shop.
I'm sorry for you loss of a great kite.. We don't ask much. :mad:

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:21 pm

I think a big problem is people have no idea how much our kites can cost, they think it's a £10 thing from the beach shop.

Ahhh indeed, you can't win. I had one 'regular offender' tell me I should 'grow up'. What? Because I was flying a kite or because I was too short?

I don't consider myself a short bloke, maybe she was just really far away from me; I can't remember. ;)

Mark

Brackie

Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:06 am

Point taken.
But it just goes to show how much of a problem this is.
That thing will never be insured because mummy knows it would never be naughty.. Like F**k!
So where do we start?
We had a Kite ban at Exmouth Rec Ground of anything over 2 metres for a bit, until they thought it may ban a dog!
:?

BTS

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:09 pm

Dogs savaging kites!...............this isn't something I had given any consideration to, until reading this. Given that I'm a total novice and any kite I fly spends more time nose down on the ground than in the air, the inevitable is likely to happen. Choice of a suitable flying area is difficult already, I will be paranoid about a dog attack now lol :badgrin: :roll:

I guess I need to get more practice in....haha! I'm genuinely sympathetic to the original poster, its a shame nothing can be done about the geezer with the Boxer/ Mastiff/Stafforshire...whatever...cross! :mad: :cry:
BAZZ

Prism Hypnotist & JoE Talon in Halloween colours

Mc Twizzle

Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:14 pm

ok guys,
wow that was a big thread. the answer is easy.
bb guns are really cheep and you can get them with mini paint ball
pellets. keep it in your back pocket, fly the kite to the top of the window
and let go.
you are then free to shoot the little fucker right in the tea-towl holder and i bet
it never bothers you again.
As for an agressive owner, get a water pistol and do a mix of 1-100 bleach and water
and spray it in the cunts eyes. they will be blind and cry like a little bitch but it only
lasts about 10-20 mins. if they keep getting agressive repeate prosses untill even the biggest
guy crys for his mummy. :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

Sorry about you kite roy. :(

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:58 am

^^^ sadly, this is the only sort of behaviour these twats understand.

Not a dog attack but the same mentality reminds me of a time I was followed home by a 12yr old scrote chav shouting abuse for no reason. I got sick of it after 5 minutes and ran at him. He ran off but appeared half an hour later with his dad on my doorstep. The dad was a bigger version of him (grown up chav = grunt) and started saying I'd assaulted his son and he was going to kill me, burn my house down etc etc. Now, what I should have done is try to reason with him. But I didn't. I lost it. Badly. I grabbed a golf club pushed him backwards with it so I could step outside and took maybe for or five swings at his head with it. Two of them connected well. At this point the dad changed his attitude and seemed to not be able to apologise enough and begged me to stop. I stopped and he was crying. He grabbed his son and I think the pair of them won't be trying this double act again.

Unfortunately it really is the only language these idiots understand. I'm convinced they get off on the terror that they inflict on people. The lengths they'll go to to have a big-I-am story in the pub. Vermin.

I don't play golf any more but the thought of golf or the sight of someone playing it just re-ignites my anger.