run into the pack and take people down.

On training rides I got into the habit of carrying a metal pump ... which
was used to dispatch a particularly aggressive mutt who plagued our
Sunday traning ride. I rode off the front one day and when he came out
to greet me cracked it over his nose / muzzle / whatever .. and that was
the very last time he came racing out !

Over here in La La Land you're not required to leash them outside of city
limits and out they come at top speed from yards and drive ways all teeth
and sinew ... oh yes ... I fucking hate dogs.

I clobbered one pretty good on commute one day. A playful - 100lb
Rottweiler "pup" ... off his leash ... on a bike path ... in the city .. hurtles
toward me. I couldn't stop ... T-boned the fucker ... Wooof ! indeed.

How I didn't end up over the bars I'll never know. He wasn't walking
properly after that and the owner was unable to comprehend why I was
quite so angry with him ... given I'd hurt his dog. He could most probably
say - in all truthfulness that he'd "never been so insulted in all his life".
I flagged down the next cop car Ipassed an reported the incident then
and there ... not that they ever found the joker and his dog.

-Frazer

ObijuanKenobe

Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Geez, Frazer...sounds like you live in hell, and Cerberus has had pups.

But seriously, dogs chasing bikers is NOT normal, and should not be tolerated. I don't need to even mention actual attacks. Keep on clubbing. And that's coming from a dog lover.

The more this thread has grown, the more in full support I am of the idea that dogs should be on lead most/all of the time. A great idea that goes along logically with this would be to charge owners to certify that a particular dog is safe off lead...a sort of special 'off lead' license.

This could potentially result in many good things...like more dogs on the line, a legal basis for collecting damages, more revenue for the local budget, AND a genuine advantage for folks like me, that have spent time and energy to train our dogs to come when called, to fetch rather than kill, and lick rather than bite.

I am long beyond done with the idea of blaming the dogs, no matter what experience anyone has had. However, I endorse the clubbing because it works (maybe you could use a length of garden hose rather than a metal pump, though). Pain discourages, and fun encourages. Most of all, you can get really hurt falling from a cycle, so you need to defend yourself.

(I have to put a -1 on the Jack Russell comment. Yes, they are a hardcore dogs requiring loads of consistently rigid training. But, they are great intelligent dogs that with the right training, can be insanely rewarding. A thinking dog is not dangerous unless it thinks more actively than it's owner...which is what this thread is all about. Small dogs feel threatened more easily, and feel they need to keep reminding others they are there and important. Good owners can easily use this to their advantage, resulting in a very attentive, loyal, and obedient little shit.

Going to A&E for a bite from a JR is a precaution...but from a Rottweiler, it's necessary. So, yeah, they might be responsible for more bites, but on the damage scale, a JR could never kill a child, not even in the worst case psycho-animal...that cannot be said for many/most other breeds. A JR is never going to wreck Frazer on the bike either.)
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

hezz

Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:34 pm

Sadly, Obi.. a JR was involved in this incident..

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 04029.html

Back to topic.. so sorry to hear about this Roy. Did you report it to the police? Most dog walkers tend to go out at the same time every day. If you thought there was a chance of bringing this w*nker to justice then it might be worth a chance. It could well be a child next.

Either that or get someone to follow him home and then post your own little present through his letterbox :evil:

Hezz

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:43 pm

In my old spot there were some hardcore mountain bikers, timing gear on the bars, etc.

Clearly they were out to push themselves to the max. Perhaps that's why one of them got extremely irate with a dog that was snapping at his calves!

Wasn't you was it Frazer? ;)

I've got a Jack Russell next door. Sometimes it jumps the fence which makes me want to assert Frazer style beatings! The missus doesn't find it particularly bothersome, but I wonder if she'd feel that way if her babies, Tigger or Wobble (our cats) wound up in a bloody mess?

Mark

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:59 pm

When I lived in France - the neighbor - an auld crone - used to let her dog
out in the yard when she'd had enough of its whining. Where it used to bark
for fucking hours ... unless I filled a basin of water and tipped it over said
mangy beast. Where upon - auld crone - would come out - inspect the
drenched animal - cuss me out ... and take it back inside again.

You should try it ... if you don't care about neighborly relations.

-Frazer

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:26 pm

We should send this thread to Stephen King, I'm sure he could knock up a bestseller out of it :lol:

Mark

kevspilly

Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Sorry to hear about your kite Roy.

I think all dogs in public should on lead and muzzled.

I caught a dog trying piss on my gear, and gave it nudge with my left foot
between it's back legs. The owner was most annoyed however, when I assured him I'd personally piss on his sporting gear in return I think he took the point.
All that matters in life is kite flying, love and work ….preferably in that order.

In the bag; Shhhhh... far too many to mention, don't tell the Missus!

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:50 pm

kevspilly wrote:
Sorry to hear about your kite Roy.

I think all dogs in public should on lead and muzzled.

I caught a dog trying piss on my gear, and gave it nudge with my left foot
between it's back legs. The owner was most annoyed however, when I assured him I'd personally piss on his sporting gear in return I think he took the point.

Same thing happened to me once. The dog got as far as cocking its leg and was met with a trainer to the bollocks! The owner just grinned at me.

Mark

ObijuanKenobe

Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:04 pm

hezz wrote:
Sadly, Obi.. a JR was involved in this incident..

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 04029.html

Still fighting for the little guy...the JR in this incident had NO blood on it. And...any dog person can tell you that Staffords are known for their 'occasional uncontrollable urge to destroy'. There is no way you'll ever convince me that JR did anything to that baby.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

ObijuanKenobe

Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:09 pm

Jest_of_EVE wrote:
I wonder if she'd feel that way if her babies, Tigger or Wobble (our cats) wound up in a bloody mess?

Mark

Given what I have seen, the average JR is not interested in killing cats, just harrassing them. If your babies have claws, they'll send that dog running in pain with ease. I have seen my JR take it in the face several times, and that ALWAYS ends the game at once, even without claws!

Now if you had rabbits (or a guinea pig running loose), they'd be dead before you even saw the dog had jumped the fence. Even then you might not notice at first, because after the animal was dead, the JR would be on about his business of finding something else moving to mess with!

obi

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:37 pm

OK, I'll take you on that. Cats have some defence in the form of sharp claws.

The pidgeon this JR shredded in front of a shocked family didn't do so well! :lol:

Mark

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:55 am

I've just had a dog go berserk at me on my motorbike - JR :roll:

JRs aside I'd like to see some sort of restriction, maybe compulsory muzzles on what are frankly p*nis extension dogs perhaps based on jaw size. I realise this is a sweeping statement but if it can fit a kids head in its jaws it should be muzzled in public.

WTF is a massive dog like a Rottweiler, Doberman, Ridgeback etc. doing in a built up area? They were bred for their ability to bring down a grown man / large animal.

Peter

Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:55 am

While I am also a JR owner and lover, I can see the issues here. As ever it's not the pet, but the owner! if the pet isn't trained or brought up correctly then issues can arise. Answer, lock up the owners as well!

OK an exteme responce, but unless the law steps in and bans the owner from having another dog then the issue does arise again. the RSPCA have the records for that! The problem here is that an incident has to occour before you identify the bad people. and where is the kennel club on this..... Would the re-introduction of liecencing help? only if the they are issued after ownership training perhaps. It might be expensive, but that might stop some of it.

I had to train my dog not to attack chickens and ducks (Wife's hobby), not easy - but when she caught, killed and dragged back to the house a rabbit almost twice her size I can see the potential. and yes, she did have it for supper!

All of this doesn't help Roy, or the rest of us, sadly.

jaybett

Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:03 am

If misery loves company, I had a Fearless that on its third flight got mauled by a dog. It sucks and it still makes me angry. The owner never paid me one red cent for that kite.

I absolutely despise the cavalier attitude of dog owners. It's almost like, what did you expect, he is only a dog? I expect you to take care of any damage caused by your f..en dog!

Jay

Aeri

Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:05 am

as long as idiots are allowed to handle animals the problem wil remain... if its not a kite it'll be a child or poor cat...

we should teach those dogs to attack there masters... solves two problems at once
Old school was a great school