FA Supporter

Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:47 pm

That's really not fair...I hope the little shit got a mouthful of carbon
Rob
6Fivers aria del sud

ObijuanKenobe

Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:49 pm

RoyReed wrote:
The way it's getting with dogs now I think it should be illegal for them to be let off the lead. I wonder how you start a campaign.

As a dog owner (2), I think this is a great idea. What this would provide is a definite 'right and wrong' in the situation. A loose dog does damage, owner loses, end of story.

The thing that irks me about this is indifference or even aggression on the owner's part. This is really disturbing and sign of a much scarier problem.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

benjai

Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:25 pm

Holy shit Roy, that's bad - you have my sympathies.

In case it's of any interest, although I guess it's of very little use, the owner of that animal has commited a criminal offence if the animal is out of "control and there is a fear that injury might occur". I'd suggest that the dog got to your kite, making it out of control, and that it tore it to shreds giving you real grounds to have fear that injury might occur (note - injury doesn't actually have to occur, you only need to be worried that it might for a criminal offence to have been committed).

Maybe the local rag would be interested in a "killer dog on the loose" type story? "Keep our parks safe campaign" etc...

BTW, if you buy grazing rights, a sheep and a rifle (and a license) you can shoot a dog that worries your sheep without warning - best to find a really nervous sheep for this.

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:45 pm

benjai wrote:
best to find a really nervous sheep for this.

One from Wales perhaps ?

-Frazer

SteveC

Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:47 pm

Jeez Roy what a mess!...My sympathies to you mate.

Sounds like there was nothing much that you could have done in the circumstances.

I've often thought of carrying a small squeezy bottle with Cayenne pepper/water for dogs or maybe even one of those personal alarms- the noise might put 'em off.

Popeye

Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:07 pm

FFS. Roy that makes me feel sick and angry, and the fact that these wankers havn't got the decency to pay for it, I'm so sorry mate :mad:

Bakardi

Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:37 pm

Shocking...I can't think of any other hobby/sport that is affected by this type of thing.
RoyReed wrote:
I wonder how you start a campaign.
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Leashes/
Don't think there's much hope tho' judging by the respone to it and previous petitions.

Off topic....has there ever been a successful petition...on anything?

Mike

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:38 pm

Sorry to see that, Roy.

Agree it's the owners failing to train/control their dog.

I think in the U.S. they have 'dog parks' where they are allowed to run off the lead.

I'd be much happier knowing that it was illegal to run a dog off-lead in a public space not designated as a dog park.

Actually, this sort of even makes me feel less grumpy about a 14 mile round-trip to a place I've never been bothered by dogs. Sure I'd rather walk 7 mins to a much nicer spot, but post #1 would be the ultimate result.

Mark

jaydub

Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:23 pm

Gutted for you, Roy.

I've had both sides of this. I had two Rottweilers attack my Gem whilst my 12 year old son was flying it. The owner just walked past on the other side of the field whilst I tried to cope with a traumatised child.

More recently, I've had a terrier attack my Sin and the dog owner was one of the nicest people I have come across and agreed to fund a replacement sail without any hesitation.

One of the reasons I fly on a National Trust property is that I hope the owners have more sense of public responsibility than Joe Average dog owner.

Like Obi says the really alarming thing is the aggression on the owner's part. I might not be happy about being significantly out of pocket from the damage caused, but I can live with it. However, I do not expect under any circumstances to be threatened for enjoying my hobby and completely minding my own business.

Daba

Ouch

Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:50 pm

Sorry Roy thats a sad mess of an Exile.

I was also out today and over the hour had 5 dogs all off the lead and wanting to come play with my DS. Chose to bring it down before they came close but when one owner wanted to come and chat I was so peeved I just asked him to take his dog out of reach of my £200 kite

Let's just hope the four legged Exile fiends got a dose of carbon splinters. Don't think there's much you can do except accept whats happened and plan to fly when the dogs ain't in sight - oh yes and save up for a fine replacement.

David

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:07 pm

Wankers law would dictate that the dog owner would probably sue and win a case to pay for vet costs to sort out the carbon splinters.

Roy, I'm going to buy £10 of kite quids for you - no consolation I know, but may contribute to a new sail. (call it half of your VF donation back in kind.)

Bryan

Sub

Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:33 pm

Sorry for your loss Roy.

Nic A

Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:49 pm

whats more annoying is if your kite had swooped past causing injury to that dog it would probably make local press and the owner would be going nuts..

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:09 am

Nic A wrote:
whats more annoying is if your kite had swooped past causing injury to that dog it would probably make local press and the owner would be going nuts..

Yes, true. A topsey-turvey world we live in.

Burgler gets baseball-batted to hell by house owner; house owner gets charged with assault, burgler goes free with hugs and kisses.

Ahhh.

Mark

portley777

Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:20 am

Awful! Sorry to read of this Roy and the violation of your right to kite! It's the worst feeling when this happens- and very very stressful.
I've given up going to my local park because of this (which is nice and 1 minute walk). Unfotunately these pricks will always win, it's just the horrible truth. There's too many powerful proactive wankers who own dogs in my hood and are actually campaigning to have off-lead areas in EVERY local park! I've thought about protesting, but these people will simply ban the "dangerous" sport of kite flying instead. Best of luck. May Karma work its (invisible) wonders :(

Cheers,
Mike