Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

flat out
Topic Author

POWERHOUSE KITES?? Anyone remember them? Please read.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:35 am

Bit of a weird one this... and a big long shot!

Basically this was my first proper stunt kite bought for me by my folks when i was about 13 years old. It was a Powerhouse Adrenaline. Cut a long story short. I had this kite for years and years, totally loved it (im now 25) and 2 years ago it was stolen in the back of a car of mine. :(

I know Powerhouse have been out of business for a number of years but is there anyone out there that knows where i might find one or even that they still have an Adrenaline or a Blade that they might wish to sell?

Ive done some research and as far as i can tell they were made in Plymouth by a Husband/Wife setup.

Its just to rekindle some old love for what really got me into the sport. I bought myself a Tim Benson Gemini to replace it but as good as it is, nothing is quite as good/exciting as the noisey old Powerhouse on a windy day.

Ive spoken with a number of oldschool kite shops that remember the Powerhouse series and they all refered me to this forum.

So basically im looking for a Powerhouse Blade if anyone is willing to sell one that they might still have in good condition.

Can anyone help me?

Kindest regards

flat out

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:05 am

A long shot but maybe 3 years ago 'Just Kites' still listed a few old Powerhouse kites like Moonshots and Panics.

The website has gone and ISTR reading they'd closed the shops and gone mail order only but they're still listed on Yell:
Polzeath, Trebetherick, Wadebridge, Cornwall PL27 6TL
Tel: 01208 862993

Could be worth a call?

flat out
Topic Author

Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:07 am

Cheers Ian i'll try. But im looking for a Blade if im honest.

Cheers for the headsup :)

Zippy8

Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:32 am

Other than nostalgia I can't say that I see the point.... :? (not that I have anything against nostalgia) This certainly predates the kiting experience of many people active on this forum (frickin' n00bs the lot of them).:P

Beyond posting to every UK kite forum going :wink: you could ask a few kite stores if they have one knocking around at the back. Maybe even extending over to Holland/Belgium as Powerhouse produced the Moonshot for a Belgian team.

Mike.

ObijuanKenobe

Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:35 am

Skill level: Intermediate to INSANE.

Thanks funny.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

flat out
Topic Author

Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:50 am

Ive been calling around the long running stores to ask if they have one and given out my number if they come across one.

I guess i'll keep on looking.

It is a nostalgia thing as i know there are better kites out there, but kites that offer that level of excitement that i remember as a kid.

I dunno??
Freestyle kite buggier... attempting to learn how to freestyle deltas

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:05 pm

There's lots of hard pulling dual-line power type kites around, nostalgia's not what it used to be :wink:

The Germans seem particularly keen, look at 'Power & Speed'

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:22 pm

Ian Newham wrote:
A long shot but maybe 3 years ago 'Just Kites' still listed a few old Powerhouse kites like Moonshots and Panics.

The website has gone ........

It appears that the web-site hosts ,aol,have done away with this service.Following the link to Just Kites brings up a page of comments from not-too-happy former users.

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:28 pm

Just to be clear they're former users not too happy with AOL - at first I read that as not too happy with Just Kites.
Never dealt with them myself so I worried that I'd recommended a bad shop then :D

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:31 pm

Ian Newham wrote:
Just to be clear they're former users not too happy with AOL - at first I read that as not too happy with Just Kites.
Never dealt with them myself so I worried that I'd recommended a bad shop then :D
Yes,thank-you for that clarification.
I was re-reading my post and wondering whether I ought to edit it :)

Zippy8

Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:50 pm

I can't say that I remember much about this kite from the early~mid '90s. I do recall that I only saw them in either all black (which looks quite butch) or some hideous left/right combos. Powerhouse were amongst the first (if not the first) to use Mylarâ„¢ sail reinforcements.

For the moment I think that flat out has done as much as he can to find one.

Mike.

flat out
Topic Author

Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:04 pm

Indeed i have been trying hard to track one down.

Hopefully one might come up though.

As for hard pulling dual line noisey kites. Whats out there today that fits the same bill as the old blade did?

I thought all the new stuff had no pull and were as quiet as a mouse :(

Feel free to educate me on the current offerings lads.

ObijuanKenobe

Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:16 pm

What do you think guys? Something like the Cougar?

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

flat out
Topic Author

Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:50 pm

Are they loud/noisey in the sky like the blade used to be?

Yan

Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:13 pm

Flat Out,

I've got a Powerhouse Storm, haven't flown it for years, used to love it! I'll never fly it again. It may as well go to someone who will fly it, if your interested.

If i remember rightly, it needs a lot of wind to fly, pulls a bit and is noisy. I bought it about 17 years ago, it's still in good nick.

Yan