Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter
Topic Author

Gem Yo-yo stops

Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:45 am

Here's what I did, this is very easy and means no disassembly. I'm very pleased how it worked.

I heated up a flat head screwdriver and punched a small hole in the LE, 51 cm's from nose, then just put through a cable tie, tighten then cut off excess plastic. The good thing is that the "stopper" bit is on the back of the LEwhere it needs to be, and not on the top or front..(obviously black would be better).

http://community.webshots.com/photo/718 ... 4914RXnrRk

http://community.webshots.com/photo/718 ... 4886eFsqNC

Andy S
King of FA

Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:54 am

Very cool...

If that's all that's required with yo-yo stops, why do we have such large attachments on the Nirvana, f'rinstance?

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:55 am

Thats a cool idea craig , any chance of getting a shot looking from the nose of the kite so we can see the angle of em ???

How well do they work ?? would you say it is worth the extra effort to put a propper fitting on ??

www.fracturedaxel.co.uk

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter
Topic Author

Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:23 am

h_i_r_0 wrote:
If that's all that's required with yo-yo stops, why do we have such large attachments on the Nirvana, f'rinstance?

From experience you dont need such big fittings on the LE,( unless you wrap the kite up more than 10 times or so ) they're just the smallest 8mm kite fittings there are, so unless you custom make something, its the next best thing.

Martin wrote:
Thats a cool idea craig , any chance of getting a shot looking from the nose of the kite so we can see the angle of em ???

How well do they work ?? would you say it is worth the extra effort to put a propper fitting on ??

Not my idea I read it somewhere, probably GWTW.
I'll take a pic this PM. I've only flown it twice since I did it and it works real well, as it stands I wouldn't bother with a Apa fitting.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter
Topic Author

Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:28 pm

Martin, as requested:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/718 ... 2362skkkPP

also you might like to see the Yo-yo slide. I used 5 inch long 2mm fiberglass with rubber end caps, with a groove cut in the LE fitting and glued in place. I used fiberglass rather than carbon as its more flexible over the LE fittings.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/718 ... 2148KOIzre

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:07 pm

Cheers Craig... that looks like a really simple solution

Martin

www.fracturedaxel.co.uk

jrharrold
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:17 pm

Good pictures craig of the yo yo stoppers. I might just have a go at that.
Like the evo vented, but a tad bright for me :P
Jeremy
Stratford upon Avon
England

Juha
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:36 pm

cbh wrote:
Not my idea I read it somewhere, probably GWTW.

AFAIK my mate Simo was the first to use cable ties as yoyo stoppers... here's how they look on his Orange:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/simo.sivonen/ora ... topper.jpg

They seem to work fine in a kite that rolls up slowly and calmly, but I'm still a bit hesitant to use them on my more pitch-happy kites, as most of my yo-yo entries on them could be described as a bit... violent. :cool: The small cable ties just don't always catch both of the lines when the kite snaps around very quickly and there's still a lot of slack in the lines.

The idea itself is sound, though, and eliminates many of the problems with using LE or standoff connectors as stoppers.

Juha

Andy S
King of FA

Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:19 pm

Did both the stops and glides today before going out to fly... wind was too high and lumpy to get an effective yo-yo on the Gem, so can't really comment yet. Still, definitely a neat job with a minimum of intrusion / cutting of the kite.

Craig - what glue do you use to stick the glides? I used the 'tails' of the cable ties, but loctite gel is too brittle I think - both sides were undone (although still tucked nicely in the LE fabric) by the time I'd finished for the afternoon...

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter
Topic Author

Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:46 pm

I use this:
http://www.gluelines.co.uk/zap.htm
the green bottles, Zap-a-gap its fantastic stuff and the 1 oz bottle lasts forever and cheap about £4 from my local model shop.

jrharrold
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:54 am

I have found the ties are a little too small and have glued end caps onto them which increases the height. SKB on the GWTW suggested this when discussing his method of yo-yo stopper attatchment so credit to him :-D .
Jeremy

Stratford upon Avon

England

jimothy

Confused newbie time again.....

Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:38 pm

Erm, it's me, Mr Muddle. :oops:

Seem's to me that the glides and stops are designed to do exactly the opposite of each other (ie. glides let lines run smoothly over LE/ while the stops, well, stop them) 8-[

Not sure I really get the point, or is it (this is my only idea) that the lines should run over the upper connectors only to be stopped by the stops further down the LE. :-k

Does this make the kite more stable in the yoyo or something? What's the advantage of this over getting the lines to hook up on the LE connectors?

Aaaaaah!

Jim
Amazing
Box of Tricks $
Double Zero
Frenezy
Impact; Vented, Std, UL $
Maestrale $
Nirvana; Std, UL (reframe)
Ronin
Sweety $
XnTric $

$ for sale

Andy S
King of FA

Re: Confused newbie time again.....

Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:46 pm

jimothy wrote:
... or is it (this is my only idea) that the lines should run over the upper connectors only to be stopped by the stops further down the LE. :-k

Bang on...

jimothy wrote:
Does this make the kite more stable in the yoyo or something? What's the advantage of this over getting the lines to hook up on the LE connectors?

It's not really for yo-yos per-se but to allow the kite to fly while 'wrapped up'. Having the lines caught against the yo-yo stops means that it steers from more or less the same position (top to bottom) as when it's flying normally on the bridle.