Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Davey
Topic Author

Comparing the Dot Matrix & Minigem

Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:53 am

Not a review in itself, but was hoping that some here could post an objective comparion between these two kites.

Already have a Psycho, but was looking for something a bit more capable / refined in the high-wind arena.
Davey
::
Nope, I hadn't fallen off the map. Although one would be excused for thinking so...

Zippy8

Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:07 am

I still don't quite know where the idea came from that the DM is a high-wind kite at all. Even though the recommended wind range is 6mph+ I don't think anyone should be troubled getting good work from it at 4mph and a little familiarity will take even that down a notch.

Yes, you can spank it in pretty high winds but... not at it's best IMHO.

If you're just looking for high wind toy, the Minigem gets my vote. As for being more refined than a Psycho... anything is :cool: but that's its appeal.

Mike.

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:44 am

I cannot comment on the DM, nice kite but i thought it was built to be a trickable version of the Matrix not as a high wind kite.

I DO however have a Psycho and a Minigem (cheers Craig, best £70 i have spent in a long time).

The psycho omes out of the bag when it is howling, it is fast, fun... it is a psycho.

The Minigem... different class, i have had this kite for a couple of weeks now... WOW, i think i love it more than my Gemini..(ans as Andy will tell u that is ALOT), the minigem does all tha standard gem does and more IMHO, obviously it is a little faster, but once u tune into it it is an awsome kite. it does Jacobs' ladders easier than the Gemini, backspins nicer, the easiest french toasts, hurricanes and axel takeoffs.

Fades are a little less unstable than the Gemini but it doesnt take long to get used to tending them. The Minigem is happier on its back than the Gemini , i found the turtle to be deeper at the nose this makes new skool french style combos a little easier to achieve. Possibly the thing that surprised me the most about the Minigem was how well it rolls up !!

The Minigem rocks...IMHO no kite bag is complete without one.

www.fracturedaxel.co.uk

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:03 pm

Zippy8 wrote:
I still don't quite know where the idea came from that the DM is a high-wind kite at all.

I would slightly disagree with this, for me the Dot and the MG fly best in the same wind range. With hands down winner being the Dot

Even though the recommended wind range is 6mph+ I don't think anyone should be troubled getting good work from it at 4mph and a little familiarity will take even that down a notch

Its no light wind flier though, whilst you could keep it flying its not at its best, below 6mph. Thats why Carl makes an UL in 2p spars :cool:

If you already have a Gem then the Mini will seem familiar and thats no bad thing, but if you have deep pockets and want something different then go for the Dot. As ever though try to fly before you buy !

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:20 pm

Assuming the minigem is to the gemini what the DM is to the matrix, then I should have bought a matrix and not a gemini. I think the DM is amazing, its not that difficult to fly even in high winds altho i dont agree its a particularly high wind kite, and its low wind capability is pretty close to the Gem. I find it a much "stiffer" kite to fly in that its responses are less soft which for me means that if you are devoid of a deft touch like me then the Dot will do things that I cannot get the gem to do. Its alse near as dammit unbreakable so it gets my vote as the ideal kite to learn with :lol: