Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Great weekend - despite only 4 hours of flying.

Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:40 am

What was looking like a kite-less weekend due to a trip to Reading to see my brother, turned out to be a very productive weekend kitewise.

Firstly, thanks to Craig (CBH) for travelling down to see us at the common on Saturday and letting me crash all your European kites... shame about the wind for flying the Nirvana, I couldn't really tell whether I liked it or not. I'd still pay that much just so I can wind Martin up with the noise though ;)

Having nailed the backspin on Friday night I was able to practice that on Saturday morning too.

Saturday afternoon I went into Reading town center and spoke to Richard in Tradewind Kites for a little while, and totally forgot half the stuff I went in for (end caps and yo-yo stoppers). I did get a bunch of winders and some bridle line with which to put the UL style bridle on my Gem.

Sunday evening we met Martin again for a few hours flying before it got dark. Els got a handle on the axel at last. After that I went home and started work on that bridle... got everything cut + tied and I just need to remove the old bridle and replace it with the new one. I replaced the trickline with the one suggested on http://www.bensontwins.tk on the adjustments page with the more pulled-in version (those standoff ties are half the length of the standard trickline). Quite pleased with the progress but of course it's still got to fly before I can really pass comment. It took me about 8m of line to do the lot.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:22 pm

h_i_r_0 wrote:
Firstly, thanks to Craig (CBH) for travelling down to see us at the common on Saturday and letting me crash all your European kites... shame about the wind for flying the Nirvana, I couldn't really tell whether I liked it or not. I'd still pay that much just so I can wind Martin up with the noise though ;)

No problem, we'll have to do it again.

Save up your pennies, you'll like it, even without the wind up factor 8-)

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:12 pm

Don't tell anyone but I'm in secret talks with Richard Marsh ;) ;)

I've also got to ask Craig: Did you go to the Southampton festival at Lordshill? And if so, were you the person standing behind us watching Scratch Bunny (who were, at the time, doing their routine on one leg)??

Zippy8

Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:40 pm

Are you guys really going to love the Nirvana ? It's v. nice as what it is but it's really different in character to the Gemini, for example.

The original definition of Freestyle was of a very loose flying style, unstructured and spontaneous. As redefined by the French and illustrated in their kites, it's more like slack-line Precision (and I know how much you despise that word !). The moves are very advanced but very orthogonal and broken into little pieces, rather than flowing. (SET Pretentious=OFF)

Nice to hear that the Scratch Bunnies are retaining their hard-won reputation for professionalism :D

Mike.

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:48 pm

I know one of us ISN'T going to love the Nirvana... Martin's the one who's vehemently opposed to the Ballet and precision styles. I still bang out a few polygons while he's not looking, and I have a printout of the precision figures in my kitebag (true!) I also plan routines in my head as I listen to my mp3 player (fair enough, they'll never work in real life, but I can dream). I like the idea of becoming a good all-rounder one day.

Apart from all that 1) I'll still have my gem - I've just finished rebridling it benson-twins style to see how it goes... and 2) It's looking decidedly worn these days... it's time for something new and crispy, so why not get what *everyone* is talking about?

Now Mike... the only thing I need to work out is: Why do you make me so defensive?? ;) ;)

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:19 pm

Martin might not like it to start with, but let me tell you when you start banging out complex trick combos without breaking sweat he'll be breaking out the cheque book ;-)

and no I've never been to Southampton (kite festival) come on I'm originally from Portsmouth, aren't we supposed to hate em.

Zippy8

Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:26 pm

Do you mean like or be impressed with ?

Certain people still aren't going to like it, no matter how many silly combos it hands to you on a plate. The Nirvana certainly makes some stuff far, far more accessible (in the same way that eg; the Gem. does) but does it have the 'tude ?

Still... worth having, just for the pose factor :)

Mike.

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:36 pm

Everyone's impressed with it at the moment... even those who've never seen one in the flesh. Just the talk about it is making some people salivate. It's the Next Big Thing.

Regarding the 'tude... I said - I'm not getting rid of the gem, and I'd consider the N. to be a pretty risk-less purchase. How much of a loss do you think I'd make selling it second hand on ebay.com or kite-classifieds to the Americans? :P :P

I'll let you know whether I love it, like it, or am merely impressed with it in a couple of weeks... ;-)

jrharrold
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:06 pm

I am one of those (the only one?) who didn't like the Nirvana. Sold mine to Craig :lol: .
I am less keen on the larger arm movements it needed. I am much more impressed with the Skymax Evotec .814 and Surprise kites from Germany. Less effort with more result in my book.
Come to think of it, I like my Masquerade and Ronin more :P
Last edited by jrharrold on Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
Stratford upon Avon
England

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:11 pm

I doubt very much you're the only one who doesn't like it... the sound alone would put some people off I'm sure. :P :P

Davey

Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:02 pm

h_i_r_0 wrote:
I doubt very much you're the only one who doesn't like it... the sound alone would put some people off I'm sure. :P :P

Heh - Aye it's meant to be a bit of a raspberry-blower in flight. Even thought that the STX's in some of the ballet vids are a bit noisy.

Still would prefer a matrix to the nirvana myself. Long arms so I'd prolly manage the flying style ;)
Davey
::
Nope, I hadn't fallen off the map. Although one would be excused for thinking so...

Zippy8

Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:10 pm

jrharrold wrote:

Ah. The ugly kites :P

My newly arrived Dot Matrix is at least as capable as the Nirvana but far more entertaining. I just enjoy flying it more. There's no danger of me selling the N. and I still regard it as the most complete kite available but it isn't for everyone.

Mike.

jrharrold
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:29 am

Zippy8 wrote:
jrharrold wrote:

I like to think they are 'interesting' :cool:
Jeremy

Stratford upon Avon

England

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:14 am

jrharrold wrote:
Zippy8 wrote:
jrharrold wrote:

I like to think they are 'interesting' :cool:

I'm keeping out of this one... I just wanted to keep that nesting thing going :lol: :lol:

The Dot looks a great kite, and watching Craig throw it around on Saturday was very cool. I've got to leave Ellie something on her wish list though... :cool: :cool:

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:35 am

I am reserving judgment till i fly one... i want to see what Tim Bensons Reply to the recent glut of eurotrixters will be, can he do it again ??

It has been suggested (by the GWTW lot) that Tims recent sucess is actually Andy Wardleys sucess and without him Tim is a bit of a has been...

what i want to know is.. is the Nirvana a flash in the pan... or is it an instant classic as the gemini was will it have the gems staying power ??

I mean everyone was shouting about the c21....the new gemini... best thing since... went kinda cold.

I am sure the Nirvana is nice fly but in the words of Public Enemy

"DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE"

The other thing with the new euro kites is they dont have the visual appeal of other trick kites, i know that function is important but i like a kite that is stunning to look at too (not that stuns you if u look at it like wayne knotts work:P)... i dont think the Nirvana is.

www.fracturedaxel.co.uk