Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter
Topic Author

to sleeve or not to sleeve...................

Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:00 pm

that is the question.

In the (new) review section Jimothy mentioned that the lines that came with his E2 were not sleeved, I replied that I thought that Mark Reid (Prism) didn't use sleeving, so thats maybe why.
I always believed that Spectra/Dynemma was fragile at the knots and so have always either bought pre-sleeved or done it myself, I think I prefer it like that anyway, what about everyone else ?

Andy S
King of FA

Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:02 pm

As I said in Jimothy's review, I was led to believe that these tightly woven thin lines would cut themselves at the knots, so I always sleeved anything I bought.

Secondly, I like to sleeve pairs in different colours so I can tell at a glance which is left and which is right.

Thirdly, it just looks so much damn neater.

jimothy

Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:37 pm

it's obviously that Mark Reed (as it's spelt on the prism DVD case) has had a lot of input into the lines and straps that come with the E2. As well as the unsleeved lines (which have a loop of thicker, sleeved line attached to both ends, which seems pointless if the lines themselves are tied), the "duo" straps have a large loop (that's meant to go across the back of your hand) and a smaller one (that's meant to go round your little finger) all this is meant to leave the lines "running over your finger tips" so you can sense the line tension, but this only works if your hand are exactly the same size as Mark's.

I'm afraid I cut both ends off the lines, sleeved them my self and fitted HQ finger straps, which to me feel much more natural.

SpOoC
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:20 am

Interesting. When I bought my E2 the lines came sleeved. I had some QC problems with it (came with a fractured lower spreader and the leading edge connection came unglued among other things) so it was exchanged and the next one had the unsleeved line set. So far I haven't changed it, but I am going to as I prefer to know at a glance which is left and right too...
Refusing to use the spellchick!

Zippy8

Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:39 pm

To sleeve. It reduces abrasion at the bridle and straps attachments if nothing else (ie; Spectra self cutting being the other reason). If your lines last long enough to need it :?

Mike.