Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Bob bennett
Topic Author

Advice on first kite

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:48 pm

Hello. Thank you for accepting me on the form. I live in Fife in Scotland and I am looking for some advice on first kite. I have been looking at the hq maestro 3 but unfortunately can only find available with a company called kitestar which seems to have stopped doing business in 2006 so not sure if this is legitimate or not. Does anyone know anything about them or could recommend a good kite that would be good to learn on and take a bit of a battering. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Flying Fish

Re: Advice on first kite

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:12 pm

What do you want to do with the kite? Tricks? Carving lines in the sky? Just having fun? And how much are you looking to spend, roughly?

Bob bennett
Topic Author

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:18 pm

Looking for a trick kite so would be looking for something that i was able to perform tricks but sturdy enough to take the odd crash. Looking to spend 100 and 150. Thanks

honchoboy

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:47 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I thought kiteworld.co.uk sell the Maestro 3 but don't quote me on that.

Excuse the questions but they help narrow down the options on what might suit you.

1. Have you flown any kites before? Be it single line, foils, cheap beach dual lines, etc? If the latter can you steer it ok without hitting the deck too much?

Is trick kiting something you want to do occasionally or are you pretty certain you'll be on it for hours and hours and still practicing in 12/24/36 months?

For £100-150 i would say go second hand for 2 simple reasons. Firstly, if you stick with the sport you are more than likely to want to purchase a 'better' kite at some point. If this occurs the Maestro is likely to just sit in the kitebag from that point on. This leads into the second point. The resale value... You won't get much if you did decide to shift the Maestro on, probably not even half of what you pay for it. But a good second hand higher end kite will hold more value and would be easier to sell on in the future.

All kites break when you are starting out, so costs of repair should be a consideration but after a point of learning breakages tend to be few and far between.
Ian
Northern Monkeys Kite Group

UK STACK Freestyle Champion '18

Bob bennett
Topic Author

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:08 pm

Apologies, I have been trying to keep my ask of other people to a min with out success. Right I got a shot of a friend's kite last year and basically took me back to my child hood rembembering how much i loved it, foil kite, I imeditatly bought hq beamer 3 meter kite to now I have become board with it. I purchased a 20 stunt kite and have flowen it to death. I have seen the Benson for sale on the forum, but I would not be showing it the respect it deserves. So I am looking to tire out a cheap trick that I can learn the basics. Due to the weather just now out when winds hear. Not looking to compete just have recindel a childhood love.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:36 pm

You could do a lot worse than the Deep Space, easily repaired, amazingly well built, you'll never out grow it!

BigT

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:33 pm

should get the deepspace Bob
save ya gettin 2 or 3 cheaper jobbies before endin up with a benson anyways

Bob bennett
Topic Author

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:36 am

I have decided to take your advice and I have bought the deep space on the forum now I can't wait to play with it thanks for advice really appreciated

honchoboy

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:42 am

Very pleased you made that decision. You won't outgrow it.
Ian

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:18 pm

The Deep Space is a brilliant kite, just a few random thoughts which might help you get going:

+ It needs 5mph to fly easily (you can fly it in less with practice and a couple of tweaks)
+ Tricks become harder above 12mph by 15 its pretty fast and would be difficult to trick.
+ Smooth winds are best for tricking, ideally off the sea.
+ Buy a new lineset or two, using cruddy old lines with a quality kite is a false economy.
+ IMHO the DS is best one 60-80 ft lines, you shouldn't need more than 90lb strength, but 150lb is okay.
+ Don't run before you can walk ... take offs, landings, recoveries, ground work, then axel, half axel.
+ You'll progress quicker if you stick with the one kite for tricking and get to the beach often.

-Frazer

Bob bennett
Topic Author

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:14 pm

Fworley thanks so much, great advice. I am going to take my time slowely very. Terrified off tashing it, so respect of time and builder, is at the forefront of my mind. I have fallen in love before it's even got hear. I was about to ask what lenth of line so on but you have answers my question and then some. Where is the best place to buy line any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks so much for advice much appreciated

honchoboy

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:22 pm

Hengistkites.com... I use the Shanti speed Line. Can either buy premade or make a set up yourself.
Ian

Bob bennett
Topic Author

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:29 pm

Thanks I will order some line and make them up. Love hands on aspect. Thanks for your advice read applicated

honchoboy

Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:54 pm

You'll also need some sleeving if making them up yourself. Can't see any listed on their site but if you give them a call they are super helpful. If they can get it in they will.
Ian

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:56 pm

By all means make your own sets, but its a bit of a hassle, measuring, stretching, re-measuring, sleeving ...

But I'd just go here order a set of ready-made sets: https://kites-ireland.com/lines-straps-handles

-Frazer