Moderators: Craig, Andy S

SpOoC
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Well, here goes...

Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:54 pm

Hi

Ok, my name is Faith and I am a 40 something from Reading, Berkshire, and mum to Christopher, 4 who also loves kiting (he's a whizz with a Beetle :-D )

I currently own a Shuriken (Old man's kite), Breeze, Ozone and a Rev 1.5 SUL.

I can't really do anything much with any of them but I have a heck of a lot of fun trying :P

In Reading I fly at Bulmershe where I met some great people during the summer but they seem to have disappeared for now. (If Ian ever looks in here, hi and hope to meet up again when Tuesday nights lengthen out again)

My ambition is to get good enough to do some team flying, ballet. I need a lot more practice though. (Help!)

I would happily travel down to Portsmouth some weekends, I was down for the frestival and had a great time.

So, that's me...
Refusing to use the spellchick!

jimothy

Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:21 pm

hi again faith,

Thought I'd reply (again) as this was my idea in the first place. My name's Jim (in case you had guessed) I'm 25 and teach physics in a high school in Cardiff. I've been flying for several years now. After starting out with a cheap and cheerful stunt kite, I soon got lured (away) by the whole power and traction side of things (I still do a spot of kitelandboarding when I'm feeling energetic). I got ill early on this summer and was too weak and pathetic for a time to do any power kiting; so desperate for my kiting fix, I bought myself a Gemini and now I'm thoroughly hooked on trick kiting with an ever growing selection of "sticky" kites (see below).

See you on the forum,
Jim :cool:
Last edited by jimothy on Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amazing
Box of Tricks $
Double Zero
Frenezy
Impact; Vented, Std, UL $
Maestrale $
Nirvana; Std, UL (reframe)
Ronin
Sweety $
XnTric $

$ for sale

SpOoC
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:48 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the quick bio :-D Maybe some of the others will follow on.

It's interesting to see what people fly and why. The power/extreme kiting appears to be the growth area, at least around my area. It looks fun, but as you say, needs loads of energy as well as skill.

Anyway, I am looking forward to joining in :-D

Andy S
King of FA

Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:17 pm

Most of my info is on this page:
http://www.fracturedaxel.co.uk/phpBB2/n ... er=h_i_r_0
plus some photos and the contents of my kite bag.

To set up your own nickpage click the link in the toppermost right of the page, above the Log out link... upload some photos and whatever you like really.

I'm married to Ellie (on the forum, but she doesn't post much at the moment). I fly regularly with her and Martin, another Portsmouth resident on the common, where you went to the kite festival.

This year was my first summer back after a 3 year hiatus, having given up out of frustration... at the start of the season I could just about axel, and in six months or so I'm pretty happy with my progress. That's the bonus of flying with other people - you learn, you teach and you can work stuff out together.

We've had a couple of club get-togethers with attendance soaring to a mighty six people this last Sunday... It'd be great to see you at the next one, along with Christopher, and I'm sure we'll have you both axeling in no time. Maybe you'll find some people to do team ballet with, although it takes a heck of a lot of time to devise and practice a routine... I'd be willing to join in for fun, but I'm not sure about competing in ballet.

jrharrold
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:57 pm

Hi Faith, I recognise you from the Kite Connection forum. Good to see you here :-D
I live no where near Portsmouth but the guys on this forum are very friendly which is cool :satisfied:
I've been flying around 4 years and find it a great way to relax and unwind from looking after my two sons. I sometimes wish I could fly like Craig (cbh) but a man can dream, a man can dream :lol:
Jeremy
Stratford upon Avon
England

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:33 pm

Hi Faith welcome to the forum

I am Martin and im a Kitaholic... Well i guess that all of this is kinda my fault, after flying solo for around a year i decided to get me some kite buddies, built a website, put the word about, and was put in touch with Andy and Ellie via Keith from Mobius Flix.... FRACTURED AXEL was born.

I fly when i can, and when i cant i look at kites on the web, talk about kites on the web, mend my kites... you get the picture. The precsision/ballet thing dont do it for me, trick and freestyle is my bag, thanks to the temptuous Mr Hibbert i have in recent times been introduced to the joys of french kites and the french pitch and roll style tricks . I have a wish list as long as your arm and could blow a couple of grand in minutes. And thats me

www.fracturedaxel.co.uk

Andy S
King of FA

Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:38 pm

Martin wrote:
I am Martin and im a Kitaholic...

Heh.. I was just on the verge of editing my post to say that... great minds, eh?

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:16 pm

Hi there, I'm the French kite pusher, whatever you want I can get
:cool: :cool:

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:46 am

french rocks :P but i must say that my head has really been turned by the surprise SUL, not seen anything else in the SUL bracket that seems to measure up, although i am sure that we are gonna hear a few opinions...

Martin

www.fracturedaxel.co.uk

SpOoC
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:13 am

Nice to 'meet' you all. Likewise Jeremy, I recognise you from KC and GWTW (which is where I noticed the link this site).

I have been looking at the Nick page and it is obviously a great idea, but when you are new it's kind of nice to see everyone on the same page as it were, a welcome thread is always a good start :-D

Hopefully before long I will be able to put some names to faces, which would be good and ANY help in learning how to axel would be hugely appreciated, as well as any other tricks and tips you guys would like to share.

When I got my Rev SUL, the bridle came unknotted before I got a chance to fly it, and although I think I have it sorted, it would be nice to have someone who knows take a look at it. I am also trying to make pigtails and have heard that longer handles would make flying in lower winds (which we are having a lot of currently) a bit easier.

So, thanks for making me feel welcome...I will now read all the current threads and up date myself on what's going on...possibly :-D

fearoffours

Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:06 pm

:sleepy: i need another fix of that Furio man.....
Furio, Firestorm, Gemini, New Jam, Beetle

Andy S
King of FA

Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:08 pm

Check his Nickpage gallery and dream... ;) :lol:

SpOoC
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:02 pm

I know the weather forecast is lousy, but anyone flying at the weekend?

Just thought I'd ask... :?

Andy S
King of FA

Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:38 pm

I think, given the weather forecast, that any flying is going to be ad-hoc, grab-it-while-I-can flying. I can't commit to be anywhere at a particular time I'm afraid, as we have stuff to do around the house, and a weekend of bad weather is a good time to do it. If there's a break in the rain I might head out for a rest from DIY and tidying for a couple of hours, but I don't know where and I don't know when.

SpOoC
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:10 am

Oops, guilty of a severe case of wishful thinking... :shock:

The weather has been so lousy, not one window of kiting opportunity in Reading all day yesterday. It doesn't look terribly promissing for today either :cry: