Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

E-wan
Topic Author

New kite advice

Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:49 pm

I have been intermittently flying two line kite since I was a kid.

First a powerhouse adrenaline

Then got a prism micron in about 2000

Never done anything more complicated than flying them back and forwards across the sky looping and doing figure of eight and seeing how close I can dive to the ground without crashing.

Keen start learning more complicated tricks

Decided to sell my 4.0m Flexifoil blade II power kite as I no longer live next to a beach and think I'm likely to injure myself with it on solid ground.

Would welcome advice on a new kite which I'm hoping to buy with the proceeds of selling the power kite.

I was looking at something like a prism hypnotist or would it be worth saving a bit more for a Benson Gemini (do these ever come up second hand) any other sugestions.

I'd like to find a new kite I won't break too easily as I expect to crash occasionally but still responsive enough to learn a variety of new tricks.

Thanks

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Last edited by E-wan on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying Fish

Re: New kite advice

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:02 am

You'll get at least as many different suggestions as people responding ....

Prism Hypnotist is a solid kite, but a bit of a tank: quite heavy and sluggish. Look into a Skydog Dream On. Quite a wide wind range; does all the basic tricks, and when you crash it (you will!), the spars are cheap to replace.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:22 am

I would look at buying second hand, you'll get much more for your money. A Prism E3 has just come up here, certainly worth a look.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13409

bionic

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:55 am

E-wan wrote:
I have been intermittently flying two  line kite since I was a kid.

First a powerhouse adrenaline

Then got a prism micron in about 2000

Never done anything more complicated than flying them back and forwards across the sky looping and doing figure of eight and seeing how close I can dive to the ground without crashing.

Keen start learning more complicated tricks

Decided to sell my 4.0m Flexifoil blade II power kite as I no longer live next to a beach and think I'm likely to injure myself with it on solid ground.

Would welcome advice on a new kite which I'm hoping to buy with the proceeds of selling the power kite.

I was looking at something like a prism hypnotist or would it be worth saving a bit more for a Benson Gemini (do these ever come up second hand) any other sugestions.

I'd like to find a new kite I won't break too easily as I expect to crash occasionally but still responsive enough to learn a variety of new tricks.

Thanks

Ewan

Are you UK based?

I started flying kites about a year ago, the Prism E3 was my first 'real' kite. It served as my entry to the hobby and I still really enjoy the kite, It can fly in quite a big range of winds and is very durable. It is a bit slower/heavier in the sky than my Benson Deep space, but that helped learning. I have learnt axels, half axels, and yoyos with this kite - I have been told (and seen videos) that it can perform most tricks in the book, albeit not everyone easily. I think i paid around £200 for at the time, in hindsight if I had that much to spend I might have saved up more for a benson. Selling cheap just because I need to clear space, kite is in great condition.

E-wan
Topic Author

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:27 pm

Thanks for your suggestions think I might keep a lookout for a second-hand SkyDog kite as they look cheap and easy to repair.

Ewan