Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

bionic
Topic Author

Nirvana vs Supernova

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:53 pm

Hey guys as the title suggests :) currently own a deep space and an rsky shooter.

I'm interested in both supernova and nirvana as a next kite, though I currently don't have an UL and it might be good to get one. Do you guys have any opinions about these kites compared with each other or light wind variants? If you were me, knowing what you know, what might you invest in to round out your kite bag?

Cheers

jaydub

Re: Nirvana vs Supernova

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:33 pm

Nirvana will cost you more and the build quality will be inferior.  I have a SN, but not flown a recent Nirvana.

I believe Sean from the Northern Monkey Kite Group had a N3E and was so under impressed with the build quality he applied for a refund.

I suspect the N3E might be easier to fly across a range of conditions.  I find the SN challenging in gusty conditions.

harveystubbs

Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:25 pm

The SN is not a light nor a heavy wind wind kite and needs 4-5 mph wind to get things going. It's a good kite though.

All 3 nirvana models are great though the build quality isn't as good as the Benson. The nirvanas are all precise, trickable and have a good wind range. They are much more precise and larger than what you own. The nirvana lw or ul kites are good too.

The ds flies low with the top spreader and tail weight removed. The ds ul flies really low for an ul kite.

There are lots of others to consider though

bionic
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:15 pm

harveystubbs wrote:
The SN is not a light nor a heavy wind wind kite and needs 4-5 mph wind to get things going. It's a good kite though.

All 3 nirvana models are great though the build quality isn't as good as the Benson. The nirvanas are all precise, trickable and have a good wind range. They are much more precise and larger than what you own. The nirvana lw or ul kites are good too.

The ds flies low with the top spreader and tail weight removed. The ds ul flies really low for an ul kite.

There are lots of others to consider though

What other options? I like SN for supporting UK kite building and cost, but also design. Wanting a full size kite, with straight leading edges, this kind of design.

jaydub

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:01 pm

bionic wrote:
What other options? I like SN for supporting UK kite building and cost, but also design. Wanting a full size kite, with straight leading edges, this kind of design.

From a UK perspective, the SuperNova is it.

There are plenty of good European kites though:
  • Germany:  Diamond Kites Aventador or Nero
  • France:  L'Atelier Curve
I think Krijn has both the Aventador and Nero, so may be able to comment

Krijn may well offer to build you an open source kite: the Magnet XL and Derefat Monster are both excellent kites that will give you a bit more bang for buck.

Harv may well be able to offer other suggestions. 

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:36 pm

harveystubbs wrote:

My SN is the standard configuration with 7PT spreaders and its an excellent heavy wind kite. Its frame is super stiff and continues to pitch well in biggish winds. I'm just back from a week at a blowy Texas beach and I flew the SN and DS VTD extensively.

I'll grant you its not a good light wind kite, but with 7PT spreader would you expect it to be ? :shock: Tim sells the SN with optional 5PT spreaders, which of course is a nod to this and with those I've no doubt its better in the lower end, but I've not tried that for myself yet.

--

The Nirvana and N3E are great kites, not Benson quality, but R-Sky has improved in that respect markedly over the years. I bought a set of N3E's and was happy enough with the build quality, but they will not wear as well as Benson kites over time - I've got a DSUL which has a ton of time on it and it's still it excellent condition really.

One thing in the N3E's favor is that there are different versions available, SUL through to VTD, which cover all your wind conditions/needs.

-Frazer

harveystubbs

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:32 am

jaydub wrote:
bionic wrote:

From a UK perspective, the SuperNova is it.

There are plenty of good European kites though:
  • Germany:  Diamond Kites Aventador or Nero
  • France:  L'Atelier Curve
I think Krijn has both the Aventador and Nero, so may be able to comment

Krijn may well offer to build you an open source kite: the Magnet XL and Derefat Monster are both excellent kites that will give you a bit more bang for buck.

Harv may well be able to offer other suggestions. 

Consider the second hand options as well. Talons, akujis, TNT. How about a seven?

The vortex is a great open source kite too. Krijn is a good guy and worth getting his take :cool:

timorohn

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:24 am

SN for me I have flown it with the 7PT and 5PT down to 3mph and up to 22mph with long lines. I also have tried 3PT but found it looses precision. Chris had not tried this when I mentioned it to him so proved a no go test. Build is top notch, just what Tim Benson does best. And UK maker.

kareloh

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:44 pm

SN is a very capable kite. Awesome build quality and a very nice appearance in the sky! Instead of the N3E (which is great as well) you might want to look at the Unik by R-Sky. I was seriously impressed by it and it has quite a windrange. Much more a tricky polyvalent kite that is also precise then a precise polyvalent kite that also tricks. If you click with the shooter i suspect you connect better with a Unik compared to the N3E.