Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

harveystubbs
Topic Author

Help with cutting icarex panels

Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:51 am

I need to hot cut some icarex panels. What is the best way to do this? With a soldering iron?

If any one has any tips I would be grateful.

I am making a couple of vent covers for a vented kite.

Thanks

KaoS
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Help with cutting icarex panels

Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:24 am

Icarex can be cold cut using a very sharp blade (Stanley knife, etc). Doesn't fray.

If you want to hot cut, yes a soldering iron will do the job very well. Make sure the cutting tip is filed to a fine edge so there is minimal heat bleeding away from the cutting edge. Otherwise you can end up with an uneven cut as heat drifts away from the cut line.

Regardless of cold or hot cut, ALWAYS use a guide or template. It can be a simple straight edge, like a steel ruler. Or curves can be performed against a tin can, metal washer, or the like. You can make a single use template from poster board, but don't allow the melted icarex edge stick to the cardboard for too long.

Hope this helps
Kevin Sanders

Willunga
South Australia

harveystubbs
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:07 pm

Thanks Kev very helpful

honchoboy

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:27 pm

As above... 9 times out of 10 I cold cut now. Never had a problem on Icarex.

I would also add that i use a large mirror/piece of glass to cut on. If you very lightly spray the surface with water and then flatten the icarex down into it, the fabric will be held very firmly whilst cutting it out. Then just simply wipe any residue off.
Ian
Northern Monkeys Kite Group

UK STACK Freestyle Champion '18