Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

kitejan
Topic Author

Revolution Kites?

Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:02 pm

OK - what is going on here. I turn my back for a while and Revolution seems to have (almost) vanished!

The reason for asking is I am now in pretty urgent need for some spars for my (to be fair homemade) Revs - and no one I can find seems to offer Rev spars. Not Highwaymen, Kiteworld, eBay, etc. I would at least like to consider the official replacements before looking at something cheaper :-)

So is this it then? Revs have gone the way of everything else, or am I missing something?

Jan

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Re: Revolution Kites?

Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:39 pm

No idea what's happened, they're still around though, maybe ask them who they supply.

http://revkites.com

However I'd be looking at using Skyshark P series spars, way cheaper.

kitejan
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Thanks - for some reason I hadnt seen the kites on their new design site, just the Club38 (or 18-30 or whatever :-). Doh!

But none of the UK suppliers from their websites work - either "page cant be displayed" or nothing doing with spares.

Useful to know about Skyshark P - what would you recommend for verticals in a vented - P200 or P300? And who would be a good supplier these days?

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:05 pm

I'm not an expert on Rev's but i'd have thought the P200 would be fine it's not like there's much pressure going on the vertical spars.

Tim Benson sells them as do The Highwaymen, Tim's cheaper though.

http://www.bensonkites.com/shop/spares.html

JohnE

Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:32 pm

On my last home made Revs, I used Easton Powerflight arrow shafts in the leading edge. Their 500 is roughly equivalent to P200 and I have used these in my standard. Their 400 is roughly equivalent to P300 and I have used these in my mid-vent. Slightly shorter than a normal kite spar (about 31" ? I think) but same internal diameter so use the same 6mm internal ferrules. To get the required length I used a Skyshark spar in the center with ferrules glued in, linked to the two Powerflights.
I just use cheapo 6mm pultruded carbon for verticals. Only ever broken one in about 4 years.
Have used the arrow shafts in the leading now for about 18 months and no breakages.
I picked mine up from an archery shop for about £3 each. Bargain !

kitejan
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:57 pm

JohnE wrote:
On my last home made Revs, I used Easton Powerflight arrow shafts in the leading edge.

I'm definitely interested in trying out the archery shafts - do you have a supplier you would recommend?

JohnE

Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:05 pm

Re: carbon arrow shafts, I got the idea from Crafter who posted in the Building, Repairing and Modifying section of this forum about his Nazganic. You might want to also check this post.

I bought mine from Archery World. I called into their shop which is just off the junction of M61 and M65 near Preston. IIRC, I bought 8 for £24-99 (£3-12 each). It was quite good as in the shop you could select different types - I got 4 x 500 (P200) and 4 x 400 (P300), whereas online it looks as if you would have to buy 8 of the same type. Have just had a look on their website and they are now charging £48 ! That's a lot of inflation in 18 months !

At £6 a shaft, I don't think I would recommend them. I've not used them, but another supplier, currently charging a more sensible £3-43 per shaft (+p/p) is Merlin Archery, and it looks like you can order just the number you want. Try http://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/easton-powerflight-shaft-only.html

If there is an archery shop near you, might be worth a call to see if they have any or can order any for you, to save p/p.

As I said I have 2 in my standard home-made Rev, 2 in my mid-vent home-made Rev, and the other 4 in the LE of a 2 line kite. They have all taken one or two hits, and they have all been fine (so far ! ).

The down side of these is the length not being standard kite spar length. Also I was surprised that the ones I bought were slightly different lengths (only a mm or two or three).

I've only ever flown home-built Rev's, never an official Rev, so could not tell you if there is any noticeable difference. However, I have not noticed any difference in performance when swapping Skyshark rods for carbon arrow shafts. But then ... you've not seen me fly !!!

Good luck if you decide to go down this route.

kitejan
Topic Author

Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:26 pm

Thank JohnE - I shall report back in due course! When visiting my parents I pass quite close to the Archery World place so I might muddle through until I can call in (or find a store somewhere near Sheffield). Postage costs are quite steep (approx £8) so I think I will try and avoid for the moment. If it works then its worth buying more and the postage cost isn't such a problem.

I also only fly home made Revs - and have never actually flown a "proper" one (apart form the original EXP I bought in 2001).

We shall see :-)

timorohn

Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:05 pm

There is a carbon manufacturer in Rickmansworth were called Woolmer Forest Composits, now known as Carbon Fibre Profiles. Used by several kite designers . Big stock , most sizes. Worth a try.

jad

Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:31 am

And we're back....

I use p90, p200, p400, race rods. Whatever works.

P90s seem too bendy and breakable but I've not broken one yet.

Jeff
JeffD

JohnE

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:40 pm

Carbon Fibre Profiles

Just looked at their website - good range of carbon products. OK if you live in the area ... but £15 minimum postage - Ouch !!!

timorohn

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:34 pm

I always call in on my way past when I need carbon so hadn`t seen postage cost. Yea bit steep. I am able to buy and transport at 4mtr length, handy.