Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

SICKENER
Topic Author

Kite repair after dog attack

Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:35 pm

Nice day with moderate wind so with a hour to spare I headed to the local sports ground for the first flight of my new Jive II. I've only got into kiteing in the last few weeks and the Jive was my first 'real' kite. Now to be clear I'm in a sports ground that is massive with nobody around me and just a coastal path south of where I was but at least more than a football pitch away. I was bringing the kite left to right slowly and almost too slowly when out of nowhere a black lab attacks my kite. I'm kind of lucky there isn't a big hole but the sail trailing edge seam is torn and the tension cord has broken. Being new to this I'm not sure how to approach the repair and would appreciate some advice?

With regards the dog owner, I got a half hearted sorry after I caught up with her and a acknowledgement that her dog dislikes kites with a history of kite attacks! I said it was unacceptable to allow her dog to attack my kite and suggested that they should be on leads (yes there was two dogs). I also questioned why she was bringing her dogs into a sports ground that had signs clearly stating that they where not allowed! I was told I should be flying somewhere else and there was nothing she could do. >:( Hey Ho :(

SteveC

Re: Kite repair after dog attack

Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi there,

Bad luck - irresponsible dog owners are a real problem with kites - several folks here have had very expensive kites damaged and usually the dog owners don't want to know. She is responsible for the dog but it's your word against hers and chances are you won't get anywhere. If you have trouble again tell her you'll report her under the dangerous dogs act - the dog doesn't have to attack you, you only need to in fear of being attacked. I keep a close eye out and resort to loud verbal abuse if anything comes too close!

If the damage isn't too bad you should be able to fix it ok - can you post a photo of the damage then we can probably advise you.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:07 pm

Sadly this happens all the time, when I'm out flying and a dog is near I just tend to keep the kite high up in a neutral position until the dog/owner pass.

Interestingly I once heard a story about a couple of flyers that had a kite damaged, they kidnapped the dog and held it to ransom until the owner coughed up :wink:

RoyReed

Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:52 pm

We share your pain :-(
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

SICKENER
Topic Author

Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:17 pm

Craig wrote:
Sadly this happens all the time, when I'm out flying and a dog is near I just tend to keep the kite high up in a neutral position until the dog/owner pass.

Must admit I have and would have done that had I seen the dog. I'll probably take my gopro if I visit there again just in case. It's funny I went out later to a different location and all but one of the owners stopped and put leads on as they passed. The one who didn't, approached and apologised for the dog running at me and then leaded him. So their not all bad.

I've bought some of this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301167988195 and some 1mm of this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281714172954 to hopefully sort out the repair. I think I've fared well considering some of the wrecks I've seen online after dogs are done.

Pic of damage here https://goo.gl/photos/cZUhBktsT2KxQX557

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:43 pm

I'm considering one of these - both for the bike and for the kite bag.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pepper-blaster

Badly behaved dogs are fucking menace, to children, cyclists and kite fliers - all of which concern me greatly.

When I dog mauls one of my kites I'll be taking a snap of the dog and the owner then calling the law - fuck em.

-Frazer

SteveC

Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:21 am

Something like a pepper blaster would be a great idea, unfortuately the UK Police take a very dim view of any sort of pepper/mace/tazer type things and will drag you off to the local nick! (Though you can make your own). Maybe the best way is just to film the dog/owner/damage on your phone. To be fair most dogs and owners are OK , in fact I know a lot of the local dog walkers and have introduced some of their dogs to my kites and after they have had a sniff they don't seem to bother, as always it's the few idiots that cause the problems.

Luckily the damage wasn't too bad.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,