Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Harvey1
Topic Author

Bridle adjustments

Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:26 am

Hi Guys,

I've got an air one liberty, and just last week it seems to have gone weird on me, when I bring it down to land now it over steers really bad to the point now that as soon as it gets near to the ground and loses the wind, it becomes uncontrollable.
Now from what I've been reading this could be due to the bridle losing it setting, but I don't wana start playing with the bridle till I now a little more about it and how it works.
Any suggestions or teaching would be greatly appreciated.

SteveC

Re: Bridle adjustments

Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:07 pm

Have a good read through this.

http://www.iannewham.com/kitedesign/design.html

Generally speaking if the kite oversteers then lengthening the inhaul line a little can help though sometimes at the expense of other aspects of its behaviour. Some kite are more prone to oversteer than others, the best bet would be to find out what the standard settings are first. *** Whatever you do make a note of the current bridle measurements BEFORE you start changing things!!

http://www.airone-kites.com/en/content/4-about-us
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

harveystubbs

Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:19 pm

Laurent at airone will help.

If you not sure what you are doing with bridles then get some measurements off the maker or a mate.

Some kites when you shorten one leg will lengthen another leg so be careful. Good luck :cool:

Tony S

Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:35 pm

If it was flying fine before, there is a strong chance that only one side of the bridle has slipped.

Run a tape measure over the three legs for each side and note the dimensions. If there is a difference between left and right you will have a clue - but not know which is correct. flip a coin then set either the left or right to match the other side. If it is still weird next time you fly it, get your notes back out and set it to how the other side was for both sides.

If you can get the original dimensions then ignore all this, but dont be scared of moving a knot around .......

Tony

Harvey1
Topic Author

Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:15 pm

Where would I get the original dimensions for the bridle from ? Gunna try using Google translate on the air one website tonight, see if I can get past the front page lol

timorohn

Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:57 am

My method of checking bridle is to hang kite up by pig tail(line attachment point) and viewing from above see which is above the sweet spot (see SteveC`s post) adjust the other by measure to the same. This will give a close starting point then adjust on field but only move mm`s at a time. This has worked for me when original measurements not available. you may find that the pig tail has moved either towards or away from the spine.

Harvey1
Topic Author

Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:17 pm

Thanks, I'll try that one, coz there's no info on the air one website, sent them an email, but we'll see what happens

SteveC

Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:06 pm

Whenever you get a new kite before you think of flying it, first take a sheet of paper and measure everything - all the bridle measurements ( with a drawing or photo) length of all the spars, distance and position of all the fitting, nose to upper leading edge fitting, nose to lower leading edge fitting, centre Tee from nose, standoff fittings from centre Tee - everything - with some drawings or photos then keep it in a folder somewhere safe. Down the line when something slips or breaks it'll save a lot of hassle.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

Harvey1
Topic Author

Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:12 pm

Well your mate Laurent from air one has emailed me back, so hopefully he'll give me the correct measurements

Harvey1
Topic Author

Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:19 pm

Ok lourent email me back but the terms he used I don't quite understand, what's the turbo?

SteveC

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:33 pm

Harvey1 wrote:
Ok lourent email me back but the terms he used I don't quite understand, what's the turbo?

Harvey1
Topic Author

Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:28 am

This is what he sent me

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11 ... 2213c2.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

Should I take it that the inhaul is interiure
The outhaul is the exterieur and the incidence is ya Uphaul main.

jaydub

Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:45 am

That's the way I would interpret it, but as all the measurements are 7cm different and all you're doing is checking the current bridle setting, it's going to be fairly obvious when you start to check the kite.

SteveC

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:50 am

Harvey1 wrote:
This is what he sent me

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11 ... 2213c2.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

Should I take it that the inhaul is interiure
The outhaul is the exterieur and the incidence is ya Uphaul main.

Uphaul - 58cm

Inhaul - 65cm

Outhaul - 51cm

Turbo - 2cm