Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

tenohfive
Topic Author

A bit of guidance

Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:18 pm

Having decided to get a simple sports kite "for the kids," I stumbled across this forum and hoped I could pick your collective brains.

I'm almost completely new to flying kites - I used to mess around with a stunt kite 10 years ago, but nothing fancy - and after some looking around I settled on an HQ Limbo. I couldn't find much opinion on it, but it seemed sporty (if not tricky) enough to have a play with (and crash countless times) before shelling out £80+ on something like a Jive II if I get into things, and which either way will keep the missus entertained.

I took it out for the first time today in what might not have been the best conditions - it was slightly breezy, from 7mph+. When the wind picked up it flew great but at lower speeds it was hard work keeping it in the air - even around the powerband it just dropped out of the sky. Equally getting it back up was a pain, having to wait for a gust to get it flying. Yet other kites didn't seem to be having the same issue (I think a pair nearby were HQ Mojo's if that gives any indication?) So I wondered if it could be anything I was doing wrong?

Secondly, when the wind picked up the Limbo got a fair turn of speed and despite surviving minor bumps a good paced nose dive into the ground cracked the central vertical strut, ending play for the day. (Missus flying incidentally - not my handiwork.) I may try gorilla taping it into shape - the fibreglass stayed attached but sort of exploded outwards - but I'm not optimistic. The missus thinks I should make an issue of it with HQ as it was during the first use, whereas I'm more inclined to say that it took a good hit and should just pay to replace it myself. Thoughts?

Leading onto if going with the latter, are carbon struts actually stronger than fibreglass and worth the extra money?

Had a great time despite the abrupt ending, definitely planning to get back out there as soon as possible and hoping for some nice windy days to make the most.

Oh, one more question I forgot to put on - the Limbo comes with 2 x 20mm dyneema. Is it worthwhile looking at something longer?

honchoboy

Re: A bit of guidance

Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:30 pm

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Personally I'd replace the rod now and not try to repair with tape. The kite is not going to like the quick fix of tape and will stress, flex, and break proper - you will risk putting a tear in the sail when the rod goes. You would kick yourself if this happens.

Things break on kites (especially when you are starting out). We've all been there. Its just the downside of flying. IMO its not HQs fault, kites just aren't keen on being driven into the ground. Its frustrating I know but you will get better and noseplants will soon become a thing of the past.
Ian
Northern Monkeys Kite Group

UK STACK Freestyle Champion '18

tenohfive
Topic Author

Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:09 pm

Just to be clear - 2 hours of flying, no spectacular nose plants from me. It was all the missus fault!

But I agree, her point of view is, "It's new, it shouldn't break." Mine is that no kite is intended to hit the floor nose first that quickly.

Harvey1

Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:21 pm

Hi,

I've recently started flying and started with beginner stunt kite the prism quantom (it good for teaching you to fly fantastic tracking) but now I've bought a professional stunt kite, it's taken a few tumbles but survived fully in tacked, personally I think paying £70 or 80 squids more will benefit you cozI feel they are stronger and now I can pull tricks with it lol.

Tip I got givern by Andy Phelps "if your gunna take a bad dive run forward, coz it'll take the wind out of the sails!!

Also meet with other flyers in you area, it'll be alot to take in in one day, but it'll be worth it's weight in gold.

SteveC

Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:05 pm

You need to get the spine replaced as soon as possible - it won't fly right until you do. It is 5mm fibreglass and shouldn't cost much to fix - details of the specs are HERE. Breakages are par for the course when learning - I broke my first kite in 10 minutes!

Make sure that you are not trying to fly too close to trees or buildings - they can create a 'wind shadow' of turbulant air 10X their height that can make flying difficult. Also check that both lines are the same length - HQ lines can stretch a bit the first few times you use them and 2cm difference will make the kite less responsive.

Fix the Limbo and learn the basics then if you have 'the bug' buy a better kite once you've stopped nose diving. Oh yes and if you are going to hit the ground hard run towards the kite!

Have fun.
Last edited by SteveC on Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:08 pm

SteveC wrote:
.... It is 5mm fibreglass and shouldn't cost much to fix - details of the specs are HERE. .

Note,HQ's helpful spec pages being in German you should be aware "Rohr" means "tube"

RoyReed

Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:05 pm

You don't say where you fly, but if you could meet up with someone who's got a bit more experience it could be useful. Most of the guys on the forum are friendly and only too willing to help.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:38 pm

Stan Doff wrote:
SteveC wrote:
.... It is 5mm fibreglass and shouldn't cost much to fix - details of the specs are HERE. .

Note,HQ's helpful spec pages being in German you should be aware "Rohr" means "tube"

Though as you still have the damaged part you will have undoubtedly noticed it is a tube rather than a solid rod,but that has only just occurred to me..DOH!...

tenohfive
Topic Author

Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:41 pm

Indeed. I've ordered a replacement section and will see how it gets on.

Any ideas on the slow wind issues?

And location wise the place I went last time was Dunstable Downs as it's not a million miles away.

SteveC

Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:53 pm

tenohfive wrote:
Any ideas on the slow wind issues?

The Limbo is a pretty small kite and I don't think it has any wind adjustment pigtails so you are probably going to need 7-8 MPH to get it in the air. Try and get together with other fliers and they will be able to give you some help.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

Harvey1

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:26 am

Yeah I go there sometimes (Dunstable downs) met aphelps there, I know a group of flyers will be there on the 1st Sunday of November, if that helps :-)

povlhp

Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:53 am

On German forums, the recommendations is to start with a kite at least 1,8 meters wide preferable more. Larger means it will be slower and will fly in less wind.

When it looks like crashing get some slack in the lines. Will soften impact.

80 pounds should get you an ok large kite with Carbon tubes from China. I see a 2.2m Albatross rtf for $90 on aliexpress with carbon tubes.

KaoS
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:21 am

povlhp wrote:
80 pounds should get you an ok large kite with Carbon tubes from China. I see a 2.2m Albatross rtf for $90 on aliexpress with carbon tubes.

I got an Albatross in a bulk lot at a deceased estate sale. Although it looked pretty good, and appeared to be well constructed, it flew really badly (woefully badly!). I was going to "tune it up", then give it away to a deserving young lad.

I spent a lot of (too much!) time tweaking things. 3 point bridle, turbo bridle, reverse turbo, I even sewed extra trailing edge reinforcements on and altered the standoff locations. It didn't matter what I did, it never improved to the point where I was happy to give it away.

Eventually, I threw it in the trash :(
Kevin Sanders

Willunga
South Australia

krijn
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:01 am

:twisted:

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:56 pm

povlhp wrote:

Pushing nasty Chinese made Rev's is one thing ... I mean, who gives a shit ?

But please refrain from hawking random dual line kites from dubious sources.

-Frazer