Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Flying Fish

Re: Where is everyone.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:22 pm

If you count me, despite my very limited tricks repertoire, you should count Irma (the other Flying Fish) as well (equally limited tricks repertoire).

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:26 pm

Steve

In the bag
Talon UL, Talon standard(x2), Talon vented, Talon SUL Prism Q Pro, Elixir, Zephyr, E3, E2, Hypnotist, Nexus, 3D, Micron

http://www.facebook.com/northernmonkeyskitegroup.nmkg

RoyReed

Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:52 pm

Hawkerhunter wrote:
I do vaguely remember some kind of map but it's probably well out of date now. I don't know if anyone's got the IT skills to get another one up and going but it would be helpful.

Do you mean something like this?

http://reeddesign.co.uk/kites/maps/googlemapsv3.html

There's more places marked there than there are flyers in the whole of the country now.

I must be getting old, 'cos I'm thinking 'those were the days' when I used to go to Blackheath and there'd be at least two teams practising, probably a couple of pairs and several individuals - and that was just the STACK fliers. There'd probably have been another twenty or thirty fun flyers. And of course the Decorators doing their own thing well away from anyone else.
Last edited by RoyReed on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

Ian
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:56 pm

Still flying here very occasionally at Crosby or Beacon Park but mostly when on holiday nowadays. Need to get some more in, though.

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:00 am

Keithgrif wrote:
Am I allowed?

South Northants these days.

At least I made it to the trick competition :-)

Likewise. I came last so no-one else had to. :badgrin:
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Needs to fly more, now that I can.

jaydub

Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:02 am

Ian wrote:
Still flying here very occasionally at Crosby or Beacon Park but mostly when on holiday nowadays. Need to get some more in, though.

Cor Blimey. Thought you were missing in action. :badgrin:

Would love to meet up again some time. Perhaps the four of us in the North West should try and meet up, although organising it might be a bit like herding cats. ;)

Steve, I'm in the Stockport area.

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:27 am

Noted John

@Roy..Thats a great map Roy.It would be good to get something like that linked to the FA Forum. And so that it remained currant if it could be made so that the data entered only remained for say 12 months and then flyers had to go back onto the map and re enter there information. That way we would always have a over view of who's actively flying and where.
Steve

In the bag
Talon UL, Talon standard(x2), Talon vented, Talon SUL Prism Q Pro, Elixir, Zephyr, E3, E2, Hypnotist, Nexus, 3D, Micron

RoyReed

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:50 am

Hawkerhunter wrote:
@Roy..Thats a great map Roy.It would be good to get something like that linked to the FA Forum. And so that it remained currant if it could be made so that the data entered only remained for say 12 months and then flyers had to go back onto the map and re enter there information. That way we would always have a over view of who's actively flying and where.

You can make one yourself very easily on Google Maps. Here's a link to one I've started for you that anyone with the link should be able to edit.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... pjSZd0Vvfs

It's only got one marker (me on Clapham Common) and you'll have to zoom out to see more of the map.

Roy
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

tricksyme

Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:22 am

I'm still active. Fly in Cornwall, Devon, Somerset or any other part of the country depending on where i am working at the time. When at home, i fly on the Isle of Wight.

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:51 am

RoyReed wrote:
Hawkerhunter wrote:

You can make one yourself very easily on Google Maps. Here's a link to one I've started for you that anyone with the link should be able to edit.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... pjSZd0Vvfs

It's only got one marker (me on Clapham Common) and you'll have to zoom out to see more of the map.

Roy

Nice one Roy. Im on the map. Is this something that should have its own position on the board index Craig?
Steve

In the bag

RoyReed

Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:01 pm

Hawkerhunter wrote:
Nice one Roy. Im on the map. Is this something that should have its own position on the board index Craig?

Personally I can't really see the point of this, but if you're going to add markers to the map I think you should at least put a name with the marker.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:17 pm

A bit of user error there Roy. Ive updated the markers. As regards its point. The group I fly with is very active in looking at ways of bringing together flyers to encourage and promote the sport. Im meeting a few guys at Filey shortly and Ive no doubt future meetings will come up in conversation.The way I see it information like this is handy in establishing if there is a potential demand or sufficient interest in organising larger events and if so where in the country such events may be best placed. Its just a great reference tool provided the information is up to date. I was also curious to try and get a more accurate picture in the UK as to who was actually actively engaged in flying kites rather than just talking about it. Thanks again for setting up the map.
Last edited by Hawkerhunter on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

In the bag

Deep Freeze

Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:29 pm

I'm an active flyer, mostly at Hengistbury Head, Christchurch/Bournemouth

David

Flying Fish

Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:50 pm

Have added myself in my two default flying spots to the map.

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:15 pm

Thanks for everyones response to date. The maps beginning to look pretty healthy already as more flyers add there details.
Steve

In the bag