Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Flying Fish
Topic Author

Competition flying

Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:13 pm

As people may know, we participated in our very first competition (UK nationals, Dunstable Downs) this past weekend, almost to the day two years after our very first festival demo. We had been uhming and ahing about flying competition for some time (there was also gentle pressure from the likes of Keith and Barry ...), and are very happy we took the plunge. Despite the challenging wind, we got a real buzz from it, got loads of good constructive criticism from the top flyers, and have several ideas as to how to improve our routine for next year's competition. So a really positive experience that, if nothing else, will make us better flyers.

I'm sure you're all aware that the number of UK competition flyers, whether freestyle or precision, individual, pair or team, is pretty small, so competition flying desperately needs more new blood. Based on our personal experience, I'd really recommend taking the step. And there was not a single quad-flyer at Dunstable, so any individual, pair or team flying quads would have been UK champion automatically ... I know there's one FA member who might be convinced to fly quad pairs next year (you know who you are :cool: ).