Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Ara Ararauna
Topic Author

A step up from the Soul...

Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:02 pm

Hi,

I am saving money to buy a new STD that brings me a step up from my FW Soul.
I don't really know whether this actually makes sense since I can still not make the most out of the Soul.
However, I have seen that changing kite (like when I got the Talon UL and more recently with the SkyBurner Aura SUL) has greatly helped me in improving flying, control and tricks. And I think this is because these two latter kites are very good and well made.
I am now at a point in which I am improving in a lot of small details but I feel a good kite would start consolidating many things...

(So much for speaking out my brainwash to get me a new kite... :P )

So, my doubts are the following:
1. There are so many kites out there I really have a mess (BTW really difficult to find all the manufacturers... any web directory available?)
2. I don't want to spend my life's savings but I want a good kite
3. I don't understand how different a kite of over 300€ can be compared to a kite of 250€

I think that once you get to the 250€ price tag the difference must be subtle and probably not worth the extra cost for me that cannot really use all the subtleties.

For example:
I am thinking on getting a Benson SuperFly (~250€). Have heard marvels from it and I really like its layout.

But I see so many people with the following kites:
* R-Sky Nirvana or NSE STD Skyshark 299.00 (a classic!)
* L'Atelier Transfer xt.z 320€
* Alphakites TNT Std 315€ (another classic!)
* Alphakites Hugo Std ???€ (couldn't find it in its web site)
* Sportkitedesign Seven STD 300€
* Kitehouse Cosmic STD 339€ (!)

Then there is also the possibility of an open source kite such as:
* Sixth Sense
* Invictus
which I would not build myself because of lack of time and space. Hence I would have to find some kind soul to build it for me (Krijn???)

BTW, I must say I am thinking on European kites to avoid the high shipping costs, but I would accept other kites if you think they really make a difference.

So any comments? :?
Thanks!
In my bag...
Duals: No-name (No-brand), Nexus (Prism), Talon UL (JoE), Soul (Flying Wings), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura 4.7Oz (Sky Burner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Re: A step up from the Soul...

Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:04 pm

All the kites mentioned are excellent, and will pretty much do anything you wish, which one do you prefer to look at!

adicakes
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:14 pm

Don't forget the Benson Deepspace - it's still one of the greatest freestyle kites of all time.

Note: Sportkitedesign is no longer producing kites. Still, if you can find a second-hand Seven or Seven.5, it would be a superb purchase. Frazer will probably beat you to the punch though. ;)

Ara Ararauna
Topic Author

Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:37 pm

Craig wrote:
All the kites mentioned are excellent, and will pretty much do anything you wish, which one do you prefer to look at!

Hmmmm... difficult to say...
But my question is:

How much better are the ones listed compared to the Benson SuperFly to justify the extra quids?
In my bag...
Duals: No-name (No-brand), Nexus (Prism), Talon UL (JoE), Soul (Flying Wings), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura 4.7Oz (Sky Burner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:29 pm

Speak to Ian before you commit to a SF. If I were you Narcis I would keep my eyes open for a Talon Standard to complement the Talon UL that you already have. On a personal note I have recently flown the Benson Deep space and the SF and if I had to choose one over the other I would choose the Deep space.
Steve

In the bag
Talon UL, Talon standard(x2), Talon vented, Talon SUL Prism Q Pro, Elixir, Zephyr, E3, E2, Hypnotist, Nexus, 3D, Micron

http://www.facebook.com/northernmonkeyskitegroup.nmkg

Ara Ararauna
Topic Author

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:18 pm

Hawkerhunter wrote:
Speak to Ian before you commit to a SF. If I were you Narcis I would keep my eyes open for a Talon Standard to complement the Talon UL that you already have. On a personal note I have recently flown the Benson Deep space and the SF and if I had to choose one over the other I would choose the Deep space.

Wow, that's a strong statement...
Coming from you Steve I really will consider it.
However, I had the idea that the SF would be a much more updated kite with newer technology and/or newer design that could better adapt to current flying trends.
Whereas I saw the DS as already a bit old kite... not to say anything bad about it, please don't misunderstand me. Actually the DS was one of the first high end kites I fell in love with when I started looking at this two years ago.

On the other hand, I must admit I am not as in love with my Talon UL as I used to be. I don't know why. I feel I can do more and better things with my Soul than I can with the Talon UL.
So I am not feeling too prone to chose a Talon STD as my next kite...
Just a personal feeling I must admit...

Since I am in no hurry I will wait for as many comments as I can get, but I will add the DS in my list (and start playing with the colouriser :wink: )

Cheers
In my bag...

krijn
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:51 pm

hugo is €420... (and not from alphakites, that is the x)

seven is no longer available

i have a feeling the NSE (or the new third edition) is a nice kite next to your talon and quartz (or the sixth sense, bit more predictable/solid)

yes, i can build you a sixth sense (much better than the invictus), please send a pm if you want this (also for a pricing)

Krijn

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:16 pm

Another bit of advice Narcis. What ever you do dont sell the Talon UL. Once you have unlocked its secrets you will realise what an awesome bit of kit it is.
Steve

In the bag
Talon UL, Talon standard(x2), Talon vented, Talon SUL Prism Q Pro, Elixir, Zephyr, E3, E2, Hypnotist, Nexus, 3D, Micron

http://www.facebook.com/northernmonkeyskitegroup.nmkg

Ara Ararauna
Topic Author

Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:57 pm

Hawkerhunter wrote:
Another bit of advice Narcis. What ever you do dont sell the Talon UL. Once you have unlocked its secrets you will realise what an awesome bit of kit it is.

Don't worry. I won't.
It is a very dear kite for me since I discovered many things with it. :-D
In my bag...

ian muhamad

Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:35 pm

There are loads of capable kite out there, but its down to you how far you want to take it...
Here are list of kites I have flown,(some are not mine) with my personal ranking.
Freestyle:
1) mx comp ( very capable, very neutral easy for tricks and combos.)
2) superfly ( very capable but inputs have to be spot on very sensitive, takes time to adapt,like to turtle, cynique easy)
3) Vital ( very capable, short and fast inputs. Taz cascade easy.)
4) NSE 15 (very capable, fast, cynique a bit difficult without mods. )

Polyvalent

1) TNT std comp. ( never dissapoint me everytime I flew it. )
2) Hugo ( nice precision , trick capable. Pull quite strong in high winds, need to buy KING..if you constantly fly in high winds)
3) Nirvana FE ( still a beauty , capable kite)

Ara Ararauna
Topic Author

Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:18 pm

Thanks Ian :-D
In my bag...

Ara Ararauna
Topic Author

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:53 am

OK everyone, I've finally made up my mind.

I will get a Sixth Sense as my next STD (although my heart is still with the SF but I don't want to run before I learn to walk)

I have taken the offer of a great craftsman to get it built by him (I have no time, space or family cooperation to do it myself :P )
So now it's colour choosing time. But I've gotta be careful.
I've seen already many nice layouts but I have something running in my head and will try to get it out onto a picture. Hope it doesn't take me ages.

Thanks all for all the feedback and suggestions!
It's great to have your support and knowledge at hand.
Cheers!
In my bag...

jaydub

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:31 pm

I think that's probably a very wise choice in terms of giving you a kite that is different from the ones you already have in your bag and because it will be a slower than a freestyle kite it will give you a bit more time to learn the timing for new tricks. =D>

kareloh

Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:43 pm

Great choice, very nice kite.

Here's mine for some inspiration:

timorohn

Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:56 pm

The Superfly has and does cope with a wide wind range.I have flown mine down to 3mph(all be it a smooth steady sea breeze) and beyond its recomended 25mph on 130ft/40mtr,200lb/90kg lines. It will still perform, although needed to be at the sides of the window at these speeds, and make you grin. There are few others in my bag that can manage this wind spread.