Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

mark-essex
Topic Author

New Kite Dilemma

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:08 am

Hi,

New to the forum, and probably a question that most of you are fed up seeing! I have done a fair bit of research via this forum and other websites, but still a bit unsure before I click ‘BUY’.

Looking for a stunt kite, £100 budget, would go up a bit if it was really worth it. I flew kites when I was younger but they were budget models, non-branded etc. Loved flying though and looking for a new relaxing hobby.

Prism and HQ seem to be the make that is available in the UK and fits my budget. Correct?

I’m really liking the Prism Hypnotist. I’ve read it’s a bit heavy though?
HQ models I’ve been looking at are the Jive and Maestro.

Something that would fly in lighter winds would be preferable (would be able to get out more), but I don’t want something that would break all the time.

My other thought was about spares. Are Prism spares readily available? I’ve read that HQ kites are cheap to repair due to standard diameter carbon etc., is this not the case with the Hypnotist?

Any advice greatly appreciated. Looking to buy within the next few days and really quite excited about it all (is that right for someone in their mid 40’s!)

Cheers.

SteveC

Re: New Kite Dilemma

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum.

Of the two I'd recommend the HQ Maestro 2 - it's a really good and capable kite for £100 ish and comes with a decent set of lines. Nothing really wrong with the Hypnotist but it is a bit heavy as it is designed for beginners. The Maestro will do pretty much most tricks and is nice to fly - I have one and use it most of the tiome - and it's pretty tough. It's mostly 6mm carbon - cheap and easy to fix - apart from the lower spreaders which are Dynamic DT15 which are also pretty tough - I've yet to break mine. Good wind range too. Later if you want it can be easily 'tuned' to make it even better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2cqTGiNzrg

Me messing around with mine.

and the tuned version flown by someone much better than me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NBK6CCliYY

Edit - Spares for the Prism shouldn't be a problem - Frame fitting are generic ( probably APA's) but you can get equivalent easy enough. Most of the frame looks to be 6mm plain carbon tube with skyshark lower spreaders - You can get Skyshark in the UK no problem - you can't get Dynamic's easily, but they can be easily replaced with Skyshark so not a big problem.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

mark-essex
Topic Author

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:49 pm

Thank you for the prompt response!

Funny, I had imagined the Jive to be the one that was recommended, it always seems to get good reviews everywhere I have looked, I haven't actually seen many comments regarding the Maestro.

Being new to this, but liking to understand things...can i ask what makes the Maestro II better than the Jive II?

Thanks again.

SteveC

Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:00 pm

I've flown the Jive (version 1 & 2) for quite a while before I got the Maestro and at one time I would have recommened it. However since getting the Maestro 2 I've become a bit of a convert - it is a bit bigger and slower (good) and is just easier to fly and trickier than the Jive straight out of the bag. I did get my Jive 2 to trick well, but had to mess around with it a lot (New bridle, extra standoff, extra weights etc) the Maestro just works.

Not much choice in the UK in the midrange of new kites - lots of cheap kites, some nice £150+ high end kites but not much inbetween - the Maestro and Hypnotist are probably the best in the price range. Prisms do tend to be a bit expensive reletively speaking as import duties are high on non EU kites.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

Flying Fish

Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:13 pm

Or the Dream On, which was offered for sale here (if it hasn't sold yet).

Yan

Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:12 am

Hi Mark,

Are you in Essex? If it's not too far... come and meet with me and Gary (fulldog) on Sunday at
Rougham http://skfc.co.uk/Rougham-Airfield.

Yan

mark-essex
Topic Author

Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:21 am

Yes I am, near Stock.

I'm in North Wales this weekend but will definitely take you up on the offer when I'm back, thanks! Will keep in touch.

Just trying to decide between a new 'HQ Maestro' and a S/H 'Dream On' now.

Gagging to get started but don't want to make an early purchase error that puts me off!

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:39 am

Always worth meeting up with others, not only to try their kites, you learn much quicker too :thumbsup:

Yan

Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:30 pm

dragonfly wrote:
You have also the choice of a kite made closer to home, e.g. an Easy2 or Reloaded by Level One. Alternatively look for a second hand Gemini or Deep Space by Tim Benson.

Second what Craig says. Best to try before you buy.

Good luck.

I have a reloaded you can try. :wink:

mark-essex
Topic Author

Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:30 am

Just thought I'd post a small update!

Decided to buy the Dream On. Very nice to meet you Martin, sorry it was a 'flying' visit but I was en-route to Snowdonia for a climbing weekend and we were concerned we were going to arrive too late for a few pints before bed!!

Absolutely loving the kite. I have flown it 6 times since I collected it, with yesterday being the best conditions so far. I'm sure there are better kites around but the Dream On is perfect for me, well it certainly is at the moment. I came home with aching arms yesterday, the gusts were probably a tad too strong!

I had one small issue with a dog walker! A large labrador took a lot of interest in me and ran straight for me while I was flying. The dog jumped up at my back with both paws on my shoulder...kinda comical I guess but could have been a lot worse. When your flying it hard to push a dog away, I just shouted at it and tried to shrug it off. The owner called it off eventually, but didn't get round to saying sorry, oh well just glad it wasn't my daughter with her kite.

I have a lot to learn with the kite but am enjoying the relaxation side of it, it's nice to just get away now and then and enjoy the surroundings, the weather and the tranquility that goes with kite flying.

Thank you for helping me make a good choice.

Mark

MartinG

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:50 am

Glad you are pleased with it Mark, and it's getting some air time. Have fun!