Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

RoyReed

Re: So whats been happening lately????

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:01 am

misterbleepy wrote:
I remember you teaching me how to axel at Bristol kite festival quite a few years ago - I can still do it, so you taught me well ;-)
:D
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:16 pm

STACK will be running training at each of the competition weekends this year (on the Sundays of each weekend). We will also be holding a weekend away (like Crantock but for team flying) in September. These events are for anyone to come and have a go. These haven't had the publicity they need so:

Round 1: Dunstable Downs, 18/19 May
Round 2: Weston Super Mare beach festival 8/9 June
Round 3: Berrington Hall (Leominster festival), 20/21 July

Weekend event: Possible location Brean Downs Beach, probably 7/8 September (week after Bristol)

If you havent done any precision or team flying try to get one of these, you'll be surprised at the buzz you get from flying team, and how much a few precision basics will help your flying and trick capability.
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

Flying Fish

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:31 pm

you'll be surprised at the buzz you get from flying team

Can completely vouch for that!!

Team-flying weekend sounds interesting, but unfortunately, I can't make Sept 7. We could probably drive up on the 7th early evening, and join on the 8th? Would you accept such half-attendance? If so, keep me posted as to the plans, and hope Irma and I can join in some way.

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed May 01, 2013 6:21 pm

FWIW, we'll be at Weston on Saturday night and Sunday.

Bryan

SkyRags

Sun May 05, 2013 12:43 am

Ian Newham wrote:
Around 2003 everyone went pitch trick mad, kites were cool again in places like France and there were enough people still interested here that newcomers weren't on their own and the diehards had something new to learn. Things have gotten quieter again.

Sadly now it seems kids just want to sit at their XBox/phone, its cool to sneer at everyone else and deride their interests as gay and they are only concerned with how gangsta they look. Sadly I don't think their are enough diehards left to make it less embarassing for newcomers to play with a kite and those that give it a go are unlikely to tell their mates about it.

Anyone who has battled through the red tape and health and safety paranoia deserves huge thanks. With fear of being sued and no money I think councils are even less likely to give kite festivals the go ahead.

I think it may be some time before things pick up again
</old fart>

I think I would be categorized as your "modern die hard" - that's just how my personality works :)

As for kids who just want to play Xbox/PS I think that we (NZ) anyways is at the seed level of getting back out there-

Video games have actually reached a plateau somewhat in terms of technology- that is games coming out are just filling a money making mould and innovation is becoming more and more stagnant - (generally typical for such industries)

Of course this isn't gonna correlate with an increase in kiting-

That's why I agree with what Dodd Gross says about getting the kite into people's hands - a lot of friends if mine just wanted to keep flying once they had the handles on and really enjoyed the challenge of aerobatics let alone even thinking about acrobatics

It's funny how people (I was the same) think its pretty simple controlling a stunt kite until they actually try - their pride actually takes a small hit and they persevere a little more then a little more until they actually start zooming it around the place

Another small point is the marketing of fliers- NOT TRYING TO BE offensive here but young fliers watching a more animated personality like Barresi become more interested in the sport than someone who fits their uninformed perception of the kite scene (old person, or nerdy looking)

Actually...that leads onto a question I might need to ask myself...do I look cool or nerdy out flying?...hahaha....I don't actually care cos I'm flying for myself and myself alone right now

But for those wanting to actually grow and promote the sport actively it is worth considering
In the bag : KaoS Kites; Charisma, Benson SuperFly, Jest of Eve Talon UL

Bill Lancashire
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed May 08, 2013 10:15 am

Just a few thoughts on how kiting has changed over the last 20 years.

I've seen it posted several times that one of the issues with the 'kite scene' now is that the rate of new people coming in has dropped dramatically.

I wonder if this is fundamentally due to how we fly these days.

Back in the early 1990's when stunt kite interest was booming and we has dozens of active kite traders, the type of dual-line flying was predominantly of the 'precision' style. At festivals and in parks the general public would watch with interest how kites could perform clear manoeuvres like squares, figure-eights, triangles and lots of sharp square corners and of course those snap-stalls. I've observed at the 'Crantock Gathering' in recent years that people barely give a casting glance at the 'impressive' tricks being performed on the beach. However, occasionally a 'pair' will have a bit of fun and start formation flying and guess what?: the public then stop and stare and regularly engage in conversion with the kiters. Similarly attention is given if a nice single-line kite is put into the air.

Just my thoughts of course.
"You don't need a weather man
To know which way the wind blows." - Bob Dylan.

Flying Fish

Wed May 08, 2013 11:06 am

I can second what Bill says. Almost every Sunday we fly at Stokes Bay, mainly practicing our pair and team routines, but also having fun with throwing trick kites around. We often get people coming up to us saying they're amazed by the team flying, and that they really enjoyed it, asking questions, etc (including one woman asking how we did all that with radio control ...). That has, so far, never happened in response to one of us tricking (which may well say something about our tricking ability; let me say that before someone else does :badgrin: ). Happens regularly that we finish our routine, and then get applause behind us from people who were watching, and who we weren't even aware of.

Bottom line from my personal experience: people 'get' formation/precision flying; people don't 'get' trick flying.

Broady

Wed May 08, 2013 12:22 pm

I agree, trick flying looks more like a kite out of control as they don't know how kites have moved on. Watching a kite do perfect squares and low ground sweeps does seem to get the public interest (lucky, as I can't do the tricks). I get quite a few watching when I fly the rev too.
Deep Space, HQ babytana, Chinese Rev copy & vented version
Indian Fighter kites

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed May 08, 2013 2:02 pm

Even more will stop and watch if you add long tails.

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Tails and the Olympics - its the Godwins law of kites ;)

RoyReed

Wed May 08, 2013 7:39 pm

Ian Newham wrote:
Even more will stop and watch if you add long tails.

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Tails and the Olympics - its the Godwins law of kites ;)

Sad but true :(
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

Broady

Wed May 08, 2013 10:14 pm

Tail will be added :-)
Well to be honest, it has been on a few of my kites already. My kids love chasing the tail around and I really enjoy entertaining them
Deep Space, HQ babytana, Chinese Rev copy & vented version
Indian Fighter kites

Kitelife

So whats been happening lately????

Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:47 pm

SkyRags wrote:
Ian Newham wrote:
Anyone who has battled through the red tape and health and safety paranoia deserves huge thanks. With fear of being sued and no money I think councils are even less likely to give kite festivals the go ahead.

Another small point is the marketing of fliers- NOT TRYING TO BE offensive here but young fliers watching a more animated personality like Barresi become more interested in the sport than someone who fits their uninformed perception of the kite scene (old person, or nerdy looking)

Let it hang out, ya know? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3dMVv_ZTDc

You only live once.
John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:28 pm

Ian Newham wrote:

I think it may be some time before things pick up again
</old fart>

A revival of the Pembrokeshire Kite festival is being talked about.
The Carew Control Tower (preserved wartime relic) is getting some funding,Carew airfield being the site of the "Sky Festival" of a few years ago when Steve Walton ("professional kite maker") was the organiser.
http://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... y_history/

As far as Health 'n Safety goes Powerkiting/buggying/kitesurfing are the forms which attract attention.
I've just discovered these "guidelines" for a big beach here in Pembs:
http://www.pembrokeshiremarinecode.org. ... f-base.pdf

and general "tips" here:
http://enjoy.pcnpa.org.uk/new_site/defa ... 3&show=map

Eddie Green

Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:07 pm

Back when I started flying there were a number of factors. I didn't work weekends. I had a company car with free fuel. And an Area51 was under £100 and was cutting edge!

Festivals were a lot of fun, with a great social scene. There were shops you could pop into and buy spares - or places where they would help you repair your kite.

I miss it.

RoyReed

Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:15 pm

Eddie Green wrote:
I miss it.

And we've missed you Eddie! How the hell are you!
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design