Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

pink
Topic Author

.....Kite Industry...

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:08 pm

it was intresting topic, one of the reasons why i started to build my PINK was i thought that all these modern, trickmasters are to big and to expensive for kids ( flying kites is for kids i thought ) i changed my opinion little bit, but i`m still thinking that there should be more cheap/good/light-pull/trick kites for kids.

my buddies 4 and 5 years old they really enjoy flying my PINK in light winds.

but kite like that should be priced max 50 euros, it might be a good idea to start opensource project here on FA focused on
junior trick kite i know there is plenty Daddies on FA ;-).

another problem is lines - teach kid to wind up lines corectly is pain.
Prism Nexus, Chris Matheson - Midi Sandpiper, DIY Le Quartz, R-Sky Diablis, DIY Pink S.U.L
CIM - Fireman, DIY SunDog Fighter

http://pinkfloodesign.com/

Broady

Re: .....Kite Industry...

Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:37 pm

I'm trying to teach my 4 yr old and cheap kites are so twitchy and always over steer. I'm now trying with my Benson DS as it is the lightest on the lines from the kites I have. Would be nice to have a good young child friendly kite that is cheap

I've not attempted to get her to wind up the lines....
Deep Space, HQ babytana, Chinese Rev copy & vented version
Indian Fighter kites

pink
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:59 pm

Broady wrote:
I've not attempted to get her to wind up the lines....

i just show them - is too dificult.
I had experience with 8 year old kid that after 3 days flying and loads instructions he finally
brought kite back to me with totally tangled lines (it took 2h to get them back in order).
Prism Nexus, Chris Matheson - Midi Sandpiper, DIY Le Quartz, R-Sky Diablis, DIY Pink S.U.L

Broady

Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:00 pm

When she winds the line in on one of her single line kites its that loose. Maybe someone could make an electronic Winders so all they have to do is attach the lines!
Tbh I'm just happy she is flying kites as it means I can get out more often. Even my eldest (y yrs old) showed a bit of interest today! The DS did take some abuse from them :-(
Indian Fighter kites

SkyRags

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:35 am

My 13 year old nephew was very 'scornful' of kite flying...then I took him out and taught him a backflip

He became pretty interested but didn't really want to admit it lol

Kite flying is certainly not dead IMO

Kids need to have a reason to get out of the house more and more
In the bag : KaoS Kites; Charisma, Benson SuperFly, Jest of Eve Talon UL

MOZI

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:00 pm

I am introducing my 13 year old daughter to the 'art' and she is loving it!

However, she lost control the other day and performed a spectacular high speed 'lawn dart' manoeuvre....which shattered the spine!

My aim is to do syncro pairing with her to music. She has only tried solo flying a couple of times so far. We usually take one line each and I teach her the moves. It sort of works....unless I do one input and she opposes and it all goes to worms!....Very funny though!

I have been researching suitable kites stable enough for syncro but with trickability and I conclude that the best is the HQ Yukon. A good starter kite for all round flying.

The smaller so-called beginner/entry level trick kites are useless. You are right - totally uncontrolable oversteer. Waste of time and money. I have tried 3 versions so far.

We have been using the HQ Atomic (I should have got the Jive II) but with 20g weight added to the tail and tightened up the trailing edge, I can do all the tricks - just....but it does them albeit a bit messy. But that is mainly due to puffy swirling wind rather than the kite or my poor inputs....I think....

So to conclude - don't bother with the 'entry level' kites for kids as advertised.
Go that little bit higher.

I took 2 entry levels to Australia over Xmas for 2 lads 6 & 9 years old - waste of time.....they just could not control them. But had success with the Atomic.

The HQ Yukon is usually about £45 but I have just seen £25 so shop around....:)

Marcus
Benson Superfly, Benson Airbow, HQ Atomic, HQ Yukon, HQ Mojo,

Broady

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:20 pm

Highwayman kite shop has them for £25 for the Yukon.
I was very tempted, but I'm happy with them flying the DS (its in a poor state already, but still fly's well).
Indian Fighter kites

MOZI

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:15 am

I was after the Gemini but Tim recommended the DS.

However, now the Superfly is out, that is what I will go for!

Having said that I intend to get a DS UL as well.......:)

The Yukon looks like it will suit our pupose best as a starter for syncro and learning tricks - cheaply. I don't fancy watching a DS in a high speed lawn dart move!....LOL!

Highwayman kite have a pretty high despatch cost I have found, but talking to them it is best to call orders through rather than on line.

Marcus
Benson Superfly, Benson Airbow, HQ Atomic, HQ Yukon, HQ Mojo,

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:23 pm

MOZI wrote:

Highwayman kite have a pretty high despatch cost I have found, but talking to them it is best to call orders through rather than on line.

Have you tried sending something other than a letter recently?

Unfortunately our prices are going to have to go up as well, sent 2 rods in a tube yesterday, less than 200g:

Medium parcel signed for First class £6.75
Medium parcel signed for Second class £6.30

Used to cost less than half that!

Broady

Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:07 pm

The Highwayman for small orders it is better to ring Sean and he will give you the best postage deal he can. But as Craig has said about the postage going up, its not going to be cheap to send kites anymore. And I think it was Steve that started a thread about postage costs :-(

How can it be cheaper to send a kite from China to me than it is from someone in the UK? And that was before royalmail increased there prices
Indian Fighter kites

pink
Topic Author

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:16 pm

this is (fucked-up) modern kapitalism, how can be cheaper to ship coal from columbia to i.e,
if Poland is much closer and coal is better.

Zippy8

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:37 am

pink wrote:
this is (fucked-up) modern kapitalism, how can be cheaper to ship coal from columbia to i.e, if Poland is much closer and coal is better.

I did not come here for a lecture on Communism.

Mike,
surely points are available.

pink
Topic Author

Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:08 pm

I got a little emotional :-), i`am not a communist at all - but i`ve been born in communism and i`am still alive.;-).

Zippy8

Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:58 pm

pink
Topic Author

Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:17 pm

i like your new website dragonfly,

there is still small issue with that search/subscribe bar when the screen width goes down.

you can check that in firefox dev mode ctrl+shift+m.