Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

3D over Hilton...

Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:30 pm

...well, almost.

Went out optimistic as the treetops were swaying slightly, but after 5 minutes on the Gem I realised I was getting nowhere. So I tried the 3D.

Had a lot of problems at first, but eventually realised the bridle was set up slightly incorrectly (parts were unknotted when I first got it)... after a bit of practice I managed the 360 (kite flys round in a circle horizontally) and axels were no problem. Couldn't get an Up and Over or a Flyaway though... thought the flyaway would be easy, but no bones, whenever I flew to the top and turned down the kite pancaked and fell out of the sky. I guess I need to walk back as it's turning to keep air in the sail.

Packed up in the end as I was just feeling silly, flailing around, looking gayer than a man with his arse stuck right out... :wink:

Reckon I'm going to need a sportshall 200m on a side... :shock:

Finished off by putting a birds-nest knot in that line they give you with it, so I've got to sort that out with help from the three cats, no doubt.

Andy

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:47 pm

sounds like great fun... the 3D is certainly a different beast. I found that it fades like a dream. stick with it i am sure that the small, gentle input that is required to fly the 3D will only make you a better flyer. The up and over will probably be easier indoors in true zero wind conditions, looking forward to it.

Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:30 pm

Hi I agree, I have mine for a few weeks now and it definatly helps me improve my skills, I also knotted the lines a few times, hell I even broke my record for longest time spend unraveling, today I flew it and it went fine untill I pulled a bit to hard and the line broke! unbelievable, it just snapped. It cost me more than 30 euro (20 £) to get new ones.
Sky,

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:47 pm

Hi Sky...

Sign up, get a user account and become a proper member of the Fractured Axel people.

So.. you have 3D (with broken lines)... what else do you fly, where are you based? Who do you fly with?

Greets,

Andy

Zippy8

Re: 3D over Hilton...

Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:51 pm

h_i_r_0 wrote:
whenever I flew to the top and turned down the kite pancaked and fell out of the sky.

The 3D is hugely different to a real indoor, no wind kite (ie; full sized). It's just so much faster and more fidgety. It's a giggle but it's very easy to overdo everything.

There's a short sequence including a 3D being inexpertly ground into the concrete on here.

gayer than a man with his arse stuck right out... :wink:

I think the politically correct phrase is "more gay" :-D

Mike.

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:02 am

I can now 'fly away' with ease... ending with a nice near-ground axel, 540 or pancake-fade-backspin thingy... so I'm quite happy there...

As for the gay thing.. you'd have had to have seen the original 'trickkite.tk' site to 'get it'. It's a jab at Martin, as most of my nonsensical posts are...

You might be able to see the original site at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/martindevonshire
and see where I was coming from

Bastiaan
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:16 am

Hi, I fly only by myself, the sport here is more focussed on powerkiting.
I have the HQ symphony 1.4, 2.2, 3.3Quad.
I also have various trick kites, Benson Gem and Minigem, soon the Airbow.
I have R-sky frenezy and Opium, HQ Breeze(for sale) and the 3D.
I owned and flew various other trick kites.
I am Dutch and am on some forums, I know the benson twins and various other guys flying, whenever I am in Holland I meet up with them.
Sky,

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:19 am

We never claimed to be PC :evil:
ROFLMAO @the vid clip, what the hell flying in a carpark... leading edge launches, boy some people just love their kites.

I love my 3D, we had high hopes of doing some indoor work but the cost of hiring a space for now is prohibative.

What do u mean "real" indoor kite... the 3D holds the record for indoor flight (over six hours) i take it you mean bigger (it aint always better y know in the words of bananarama
it aint what u do its the way that u do it....

Sure the 3D is a little squirrely at times (is that a bad thing ???) if i can learn to fly my 3D well, surely that can only make me a better indoor pilot and "real" indoor kites will be all the more easier to fly.

I think for the price you would be hard pushed to find something to challenge it....

www.fracturedaxel.co.uk

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:25 am

I don't care ...

I don't fly kites anymore

I just got Halo for my PC.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

No, but really.... I actually look forward to non-wind days. I love flying the 3D... if a 'real' 0-wind kite is this much fun then I'm wasting my money on normal kites.

Where's the sportshall king when you need him? Sportshall! Sportshall!

(It's a Dune thing... slonshall and all that)

Umm... so...

I'll watch the video tomorrow at work, but is it the 'Prism Urban Kiting vid'??? Urban kiting... :P :P :P Reminds me of the Jackass Urban Kayaking... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zippy8

Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:32 am

Martin wrote:
ROFLMAO @the vid clip, what the hell flying in a carpark... leading edge launches, boy some people just love their kites.

That's no carpark ! That's the town square of beautiful, downtown Joensuu. And that's me abusing the 3D. You should see the out-takes :shock:

What do u mean "real" indoor kite...

Anything framed in Skinnies, more or less. :cool: Try an Inner Space (or a 4mm framed Sweety (hang on, back to the "gay" thing unless we're careful)) and it is soooooo much more mellow. You get half a clue about what's going on for a start.

I think for the price you would be hard pushed to find something to challenge it....

True enough but it's a small market. It's a good indoor kite, don't get me wrong but it is:
a) thrown together
b) piggin' sensitive

Mike.

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:44 am

I own a small (5.5 ft) Nitrik pro made by john taylor (Dot Designs) that has a 4 mil frame(tube) pc31 sail, it is an ul but it has been flown indoors

I get what you are sating, the nitrik pro although still light and delicate feeling still feels solid at the same time due to the bridling it is far less squirrely quite a large turning circle relative to the kites size but a joy to fly, not seen anything axel flatter, first kite i did multi backspins on, unbeleveble in fade for such a small kite, on a good day i can force the odd rung of a JL out of it... but it aint that much different to the 3D in size

Martin

www.fracturedaxel.co.uk

Davey

Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:32 am

Martin wrote:
What do u mean "real" indoor kite... the 3D holds the record for indoor flight (over six hours) i take it you mean bigger (it aint always better y know in the words of bananarama
it aint what u do its the way that u do it....

Have a look at the videos on http://www.levelonekites.com There's a handful of vids of the Amazing being flown indoors - Have just received one myself - I'll post a review once I get a chance to give it a go.

Look a little more about the site and you'll see the Thors Hammer being flown indoors... Not too bad - especially given the kite has a wingspan of about 13 feet!
Davey
::
Nope, I hadn't fallen off the map. Although one would be excused for thinking so...