Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

northern kite monkey
Topic Author

Northern Monkey Kite Group, Filey 2016

Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:16 pm

DATES FOR FILEY 2016

Well hasn't that year gone quick.For the 4th(?) year running the NMKG will be having a weekend fly-in at Filey, Yorkshire, UK.

The weather in the UK has been abysmal for kite flying for the last 4-5 months but we are determined to put a stop to that!

So dust off those kites, check the camping gear and pencil these dates in your diary

Thursday 23rd - Sunday 26th June 2016

SEPTEMBER DATES TO FOLLOW

These are informal fly meets which we hope will attract flyers who want a weekend of laid back trickery-flickery

We will again use the Filey Brig Campsite.

The meetings have been a lot of fun in the past and we look forward to meeting not only our regular members but some new faces as well.

More details to follow

NMKG.

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Northern Monkey Kite Group, Filey 2016

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:28 am

Count me in. I seem to do more flying in one weekend at Filey than I do all year. I also need my annual fix of greasy fry ups and beer breakfasts. Ill be booking the pitch this week. :D :D
Steve

In the bag
Talon UL, Talon standard(x2), Talon vented, Talon SUL Prism Q Pro, Elixir, Zephyr, E3, E2, Hypnotist, Nexus, 3D, Micron

http://www.facebook.com/northernmonkeyskitegroup.nmkg

honchoboy

Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:44 am

A very big in from me. This has been my holiday for the last three years and likely to be the same this year. Even the wife enjoys it and she has zero interest in kites.

I'll get pitched book asap.

And guess who's also said there in again...only a certain Mr Mark Clements :) what is the collective name for a bunch of Talon's? A flock?
Ian
Northern Monkeys Kite Group

UK STACK Freestyle Champion '18

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:35 am

Pitch booked. All good to go. :D
Steve

In the bag
Talon UL, Talon standard(x2), Talon vented, Talon SUL Prism Q Pro, Elixir, Zephyr, E3, E2, Hypnotist, Nexus, 3D, Micron

northern kite monkey
Topic Author

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:44 pm

Pitches are booking up fast people so if you are coming I recommend getting booked onto campsite quick. Their number is 01723 513852.

September dates have also now been agreed upon - Friday 9th- Sunday 11th September. I know a few of us are arriving on the Thursday so why not make it a long weekend?

honchoboy

Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:47 pm

Pitch booked for both dates.

Are we having a kite movie night projected onto the side of camper again? One of my highlights last year, especially with the whisky that accompanied it :badgrin:
Ian

northern kite monkey
Topic Author

Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:05 pm

I'm sure we can repeat the movie night - what about a showing of past VF videos?

As always we don't stick to an agenda ( you can do whatever you want) but a loose plan is as follows:

Thursday - get the tents up, an afternoon of clifftop flying followed by communal evening BBQ and drinks.

Friday - Fried breakfast, help tents up of new arrivals, fly at your leisure (tends to be down on the beach), fsh and chip supper and evening beach fly whilst sun goes down. Drinks and banter back at the campsite.

Saturday - Another BBQ breakfast, clifftop flying and weather permitting a very informal trick competition. Evening meal, tends to be along the lines of a stew or curry followed by ice cream van. Rounded off with a kite movie night, more drinks and late to bed.

Sunday - cafe breakfast, hangovers, copious amounts of coffee, fly at your leisure either on beach or clifftop, pack up camp and goodbyes.

Kites present will be Bensons, Jest of Eves, Lumo kites, SKDs, Prisms, self builds, Horvaths, and some old school goodies.

We have made it a thing that if you give us notice you are coning then we purchase your county flag and it gets to fly on the pole for this and all future events. To date we have had West, East and North Yorkshire, Sussex, Northants, Warwickshire, and Catalonia.

We appreciate it is a distance to travel for a lot of flyers but let's be honest. There's not much else on the calendar for a flyin weekend in the UK at present so dust off those kites, pack the tent, put fuel in the car and once your there you'll be glad you made the effort.

shaun

Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:21 am

hello gent's
the current undisputed Chimpion is book and ready to fly!
if you think your worthy come and try to take the crown!!!
see you all soon Shaun

roisinroisin22

Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:35 am

I`m in , an looking for my trophy back =D> =D>

northern kite monkey
Topic Author

Tue May 24, 2016 5:37 pm

Hate to tempt fate but this looks very promising.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/6 ... 6-heatwave. :D :D :D

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue May 24, 2016 5:43 pm

I saw that. I think the new Oil Drum BBQ that I have picked up for Filey is going to get a good baptism if those reports turn out to be correct. 8) 8)
Steve

In the bag

northern kite monkey
Topic Author

Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:43 am

Less than two weeks to go now till our Filey meet up so it's time to crank up the preparation. Steve (Hawkerhunter) is going to do a curry for Saturday night and just needs to confirm numbers so can you send him a PM via FA or Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/northernmonkey ... kg?fref=ts if you are coming so that we have enough for everyone.

We are looking forward to meeting up with all the regulars and hoping to see some new faces at the event as well.

Nmkg

honchoboy

Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:22 pm

So we are on site and the first day has been mostly setting up camp. A few of us meet up at s local pub and enjoyed a few drinks prior to arriving at Filey. :mrgreen:

It's looking quite the business with 6 of us here already, flags flying, gazebos up, and great company. We've been treated to sweet and sour pork casserole followed by Strawberry's and cream for tea courtesy of Ray. Happy days.

You may have noticed I haven't mentioned flying. There was zero wind today. As in negative wind. The Talon SUL on 15m lines provided me with a bit of fun but with a rather large cliff behind me i knew when to call it a day :shock:

But we did try =D>

Forecast looks better for tomorrow so I'll update again.
Ian

jaydub

Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:37 am

Hope you guys have a great time. One day we will meet up again.

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:43 am

Well the weekend is over and was one of the best equalling the June 2014 meet. The weather was very kind. We had sunshine throughout apart from a single rainstorm on Thursday night about 10pm that dumped on us for about 15 minutes then stopped. Winds on Friday and Saturday were great and for a change the Standards got a good airing and the venteds didnt see the light of day once.

Saturday was glorious and we could have been in the mediteranean. Sadly I had forgotten my suncream and had to wap the jeans on at lunch time to stop the sun burn. Winds on Saturday in the morning and early afternoon were UL - Std depending on which kites you were flying, but they eased off mid afternoon to definate UL just as the friendly trick out started.

Trick out took about 2 hours to complete with Mark C taking the trophy after getting a clean sweep through all his rounds. I would like to think that we gave Mark a run for his money with Ian coming in as runner up. Great fun.

Fantastic turn out and support for the event, thanks everyone who came. I will put a slide show together sometime over this next week and post a link if you would like to see the photo,s. =D> =D> =D>

Steve.
Steve

In the bag