Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Kamikaze

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:58 am

Given that some idiot ignorant prick American on GWTW has decided to set up another kiting Wiki, paid for the domain and started work regardless of the fact we already had something going, along with the fact that there's not been much work done on the Tricky Wiki for a couple of weeks I'm wondering if there's any point continuing with this.

Personally I think it is important to contribute to just one wiki, rather than try to set up another in competition, but like many Americans, DocOne seems completely oblivious to anything outside of his own tiny world, and strangely unable to understand even the simplest oppositions to his proposal.

Given that there will likely be proportionally more contributors from GWTW and work there will probably progress faster than the TW what do you think?

I leave it up to the nine registered and contributing users on Tricky Wiki to decide whether we continue with this or not.

Fiction
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:07 am

We're not that far off completing the list, and I'd like to see it done.

I think the thing that's stopping people from contributing is that it appears a lot more complicated than it actually is. Right now all we need to do is copy across the Peter Peters definitions. Then maybe add video links/diagrams.

Using the template below, copy PP's definitions into the relevant parts...easy.

! Backstab
a.k.a none listed

^{maketoc}^

!! Description
Axel tip stab

---

!! Execution

!!! Primary Execution
Fly the kite right to left at approximately one wingspan above the ground. Push with both lines to stop the kite, giving emphasis to the right hand. Do not stop the kite so hard that it rolls back on the lines. ((Axel)) with the right hand. The right wingtip should hit the ground with the nose pointing away from the flyer. Hold the kite in this position with even, light tension. Snap the kite back into a regular ((wing tip stand)) position with an even pull on both lines.

!!! Alternate Execution
An alternative entry into the move is to ((side slide)) the kite but allow the kite to rotate as it slides then pop the ((axel)) as it points its nose towards the edge of the wind.

---

!! Notes

---

!! Video Links

!!! Videos with the trick

!!! Tutorials

---

!! Related Tricks
((Black hole)), ((Reverse 3 point spike)), ((Reverse spike)), ((Tequila slammer)), ((Tip stab)), ((Tip stab|Vertical stab))
Rob
6Fivers aria del sud

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:21 am

So far we've concentrated on creating the new PP's definitive tricklist. I think DocOne wants to create something much wider ranging. While we could do that here, with only limited numbers of people contributing (even from the bigger pool of GWTW readers ) to a wider range of topics the jam is going to be spread a lot thinner. I personally think the Tricky Wiki is more likely to keep going when interest wanes on the other Wiki.

I haven't contributed lately due to someone looking over my shoulder but she'll be gone when I get back to work on tuesday so I'm planning to start working on the TrickyWiki again. I'd hate to see the work some of us have done abandoned because of someone elses half arsed trying to be all things to all men site.
Last edited by Ian Newham on Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ObijuanKenobe

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:53 am

I think, honestly, that this Wiki should be for us first (although I only stand to benefit), GWTW be damned. If we are using it, building, and learning from it, who cares if they start one? The Wiki's power is based on who is contributing and using it.

If you look at that forum, it's not FA at all or in anyway. Who cares if they have a Wiki. Just like their forum, I won't be using their wiki. You guys had the first, and it will still be the best (if you can convince the right people to contribute...Benson twins, ABW, CR fliers, etc.) because it's yours/ours.

Besides, the statesiders rarely come over here to fly or compete. Why shouldn't there be two?
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Infinitive

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:57 am

I personally thought it was not far from complete too.... I was just waiting for everyone to come round to my blasphemous idea of deleting all the obsolete nomenclature :badgrin: :twisted: :P
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

RoyReed

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:59 am

Careful Obijuan, it's not all of GWTW, just one guy.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

audiorob

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:38 pm

If people are really going to edit it, then It'd be awesome to keep it. It will certainly be better than anything anyone else can do. No insult intended, but it seems there is a larger concentration of competent fliers here than anywhere else... (except maybe bilboquet) Hell, if you just take andy's, roy's, ian's, and pete's sites alone you have a lifetime of information to tinker with, but there's more than that..

It would be nice if tikiwiki wasn't the choice soft tho.. it seems to be extremely limited. I dont have another suggestion otherwise :(
Anyway this cake is great.
It's so delicious and moist

ObijuanKenobe

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:46 pm

Sorry to sound/type harsh. I only used "be damned" in the sense of "let them do their own thing...who cares really?". I don't wish anyone stateside ill will. But this is your FA, and your wiki.

And I second the thought that the sheer amount of expertise that comes to FA sets it apart. It represents a place where European fliers come together, and potentially has become THE european kiting forum. That's not to be taken lightly, and therefore your wiki is already THE european wiki...

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Bodyflight

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:35 pm

Soory, sorry, sorry for not contributing more. I have no net access at home at the moment, and VERY limited use of the work PC.
I think we can make a good job of this. Can't we keep the project open and let it grow slowly in it's own time?
There are enough F.A. users out there to make it worth keeping it, surely?

randyg

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:07 pm

Vent=On

Andy S wrote:
Given that some idiot ignorant prick American on GWTW has decided to set up another kiting Wiki, paid for the domain and started work regardless of the fact we already had something going

Site administrator, huh? Nice! Really showing you're a class act there, Andy, what will the name-calling and all. How would you presume to know anything about Mr. Smith.

I know Brad had been working on the idea for a while and emailed me some time back. I see he's had his wiki up since mid-July, maybe sooner. But to infer he set his up in response to yours might, I say might, be incorrect. I'll let him know about this so he can comment if he chooses.

...but like many Americans, DocOne seems completely oblivious to anything outside of his own tiny world, and strangely unable to understand even the simplest oppositions to his proposal.

Painting with a large brush are we, Mr. Worldly? [steroetype] Maybe I could stoop to making fun of your teeth or the lack of dental plans in the UK or something. [/stereotype] As an American I take offense to what you have typed about us. Same to you, ObijuanKenobe. Who are you to say anything about us as a people. You probably have no clue about us in all reality. We're not what you see on the news, btw.

As for your wiki, I submit this as why my head spins when I've visited as a guest:

For many kites a pop to get the nose to lean back initially is necassary. The spin portion may require a 2 hand movement in which the hands are placed offset and pulled at the same speed together.

It is also possible to fly downwards, slightly flare the nose then pop. The kite will come towards you, up and away as in a yo-fade? and while this is occuring applie slight pressure to one hand. The kite will rotate into position for the spinning portion of a crazy copter. This is often the easiest way to begin crazy copter cascades and can be easily done anywhere in the window.

The crazy copter can also be initiated from a backspin?. Place the kite in a fade and give a very strong input for a backspin?. Many kites will require a slight manipulation to bring the kite around flat, but as the nose goes away you can stop the kite then begin the crazy copter rotation.

Multiple rotations are possible, as are crazy copter cascades (alternating direction every rotation). The crazy copter can also be executed in any direction including upside down, diagonally and sideways.

The kite can even be rotated 1 whole extra time to do a fully wrapped crazy copter. That is 630 degree's of forward rotation.

If that where you guys are going, good luck. That sound more like someone is bragging than actually trying to help someone figure out a trick. Of course, as you say I am probably missing the point since I am "completely oblivious to anything outside of his own tiny world".

Vent=Off
Randy
My Blog

audiorob

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:34 pm

-----

I posted a video of doing crazy copters from a backspin on gwtw. (hurricane thread in photo and video links)

I also posted video of crazy copters starting from downward flight on my (publically linked) blog. (just updated website, will be backonline soon)

Crazy copter cascades put online by piero.

Fully wrapped crazy copters put online by christian derefat. (and other crazy copter varients)

------------

All that was under alternate executions as well. The Primary execution was correct.

All alternate methods have verifiable proof online except the 2-pop method described which if it's ever-so-important I have video of on my camcorder sitting a few inches from me... though you were only maybe 75ft from me when I did them during my warmup and during my routine at saskc TP in january :P

I wasn't aware the point of the wiki was to help someone figure out a trick, but to explain tricks and their variants. I think there's already plenty of video's out there explaining how to actually DO the tricks and help you figure them out.
Last edited by audiorob on Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anyway this cake is great.

It's so delicious and moist

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:57 pm

Randy G, even though your abuse is aimed at our administrator, it has not been pulled. Consider it roundly condemned though.

As someone who is only a reader of the wikis, I like the tricky wiki because it helps me to understand the trick, rather more helpful to me than videos. I'm sure that there will grow links to videos along with other sites.

Unfortunately kitewiki's trick section is at a stage where it is less than helpful, I'm sure that it will grow also, but I cannot make a direct comparison, because it would be unfair to Kitewiki at this stage. It does however seem to have a much broader remit than the tricky wiki.

Perhaps they don't have to be mutually exclusive & could link to each other?

As a recipient of information, please don't stop tricky wiki, it is very useful.
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Needs to fly more, now that I can.

smithcreek

Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:05 pm

Vee wrote:
Randy G, even though your abuse is aimed at our administrator, it has not been pulled. Consider it roundly condemned though.

Ouch!!! Randy, you've been roundly condemned. And you may not think ObijuanWhiner knows much about the US, but that's where he says he's from, he just left because he was too darn intelligent to put up with us. LOL!

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:05 pm

randyg,

Ouch. If it stings, it's 'cos it's true.

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:17 pm

randyg wrote:
blah blah blah

Also, if you can actually offer any rational defense for the complete ignorance shown in that thread, I'll be happy to read it.