Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, Yan, Zippy8

mama74

Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:45 am

buzzbee wrote:
I vote for keeping things as they are.

That being said, Martin, how did you get such a vivid full screen video at 20 Mb? I just picked up an HD camera and hoping to improve the quality of my submission for the next round. What editting software do you use? What tricks are you using to compress to 20 Mb?

My guess is these tips might help many of us.

Brian

Quite simple :-)

1. I record in full HD. Camera: Canon HF10. Focus is set to infinity. No zooming is used.
2. Edit in full HD, using Cyberlink Powerdirector v7 (it sucks, but I've gotten used to it). To make the picture look better I adjust brightness, contrast, shapness and saturation.
3. Save to mpeg. File size: >200 MB.
4. Convert to avi, using AVS Video Converter. File size: <20 MB.
5. Done... I'm In! :D

This might seem a bit off topic? To get back on track, here's another question:

The rules say "no in-flight edits". Does that include the kind of picture adjustments mentioned above?. Or is it just that you can't make any cuts?

Zippy8
Topic Author

Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:03 am

Davey wrote:
I remember one of the 1st rounds had an entry filmed on a mobile phone!

One of the entries in VF13 was filmed on a mobile 'phone :wink:

The rules say "no in-flight edits". Does that include the kind of picture adjustments mentioned above?. Or is it just that you can't make any cuts?

Adjust away for clarity. The video doesn't have to be raw off the camera but it has to be a single, continuous piece of flying - this is partially the reason for the out-of-frame restrictions/suggestions.

Continuing... :-) for me the entry is the flying, not the submitted video. I laid out why the 20Mb size restriction is there presently. I watch the entries full-screen and, due to my screen resolution, all entries are scaled up. A high resolution, low bitrate video doesn't look a whole lot different to a lower resolution, higher bitrate specimen to me. And certainly not enough to affect any opinion I might hold of it. The difference between, for example, Thomas Petersen's VF11 entries 16.7Mb and 43.2Mb is in pretty but not in score.

Of the video parameters I'd rate "focus" as far more important than any other factor.

Mike.

WinterDaze

Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:26 am

"Don't fix whats not broken" thats what my Pa always told me...

We'll maybe not, but you get my point.

I think Benj has covered my points well, lets just 'keep it real'.

Next thing will be someone accusing someone else of using 'performance enhancing drugs'... :pimp: :drinking: :shock: :protest: :firing:

WinterDaze
Tako Kichi Gai

Andy S
King of FA

Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:56 pm

WinterDaze wrote:
Next thing will be someone accusing someone else of using 'performance enhancing drugs'... :pimp: :drinking: :shock: :protest: :firing:

Random drug testing will soon be introduced. If anyone we don't approve of ever wins they'll be subject to 'random' drug testing on a near-daily basis.

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:44 pm

mama74 wrote:
This might seem a bit off topic?

I think that a thread with tips on video encoding/compressing to acheive the <20Mb filesize target would be a very handy resource to have, and especially useful to those wshing to enter future VF rounds who have little or no experience in this area.
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

ObijuanKenobe

Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:02 pm

Keith: Let's start one then!

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:12 pm

ObijuanKenobe wrote:
Keith: Let's start one then!

obi

You've pressed the Emery button.

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:19 pm

misterbleepy wrote:
mama74 wrote:
This might seem a bit off topic?

I think that a thread with tips on video encoding/compressing to acheive the <20Mb filesize target would be a very handy resource to have, and especially useful to those wshing to enter future VF rounds who have little or no experience in this area.

That is actually a great idea. Bring it on! :D

Mark