No votes

Total votes: 12

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Virtual freestyle event

Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:16 pm

Prompted by Andy Wardleys genius on another thread and having discussed this matter with some of our overseas forum members i think there is a place for this.. this means we will all beable to compete in the same comp no matter where we like, juha, andy (s), steve(s) mikelos in russia, even the merkins, it dont matter where in the world you are you can enter this.
The aim of the format is to remove geographical constraints from competitive freestyle flying and to exploit the internet as a vehicle to facilitate this
concequently i have been propmted to draft a basis of a frame work set of rules and guidelines for the event.

Read it contemplate it make suggestions for ammendments and changes, do you even want such an event

The format

The competiton will be structured as follows:

· Competitors will register for the competition in one of 3 classes: novice; experienced; or master.
· They will submit a 60 second video of flying.
· The videos will be peer reviewed and judged.
· A league position will be awarded based upon the results of the judging.

Registration

· Competitors will register their intent to enter via email, giving the requested details and stating in which class they wish to fly: novice; experienced; or masters. Registrations will be accepted for a period of 1 week. Upon receipt of registrations, all competitors will be sorted into classes and lists posted on the net.
· In the event that a class has less than 3 competitors, those competitors will be given the opportunity to withdraw, move up or move down a class (where appropriate).
· Upon publication of the competitor list a closing date will also be published, all videos must be received by this date. Late entries cannot be accepted. Late / non-submittal entries will receive 0 points
· Competitors will be asked to contribute a nominal fee, around £2 (stirling) per comp or £10 per year to cover hosting and bandwidth required to run the format. This may be facilitated by a paypal tipjar or some other means. No pay - No play.

The Video

· The video should be one continuous shot lasting 60 seconds. No cuts, transitions, special effects or enhancements should be used. the video must start from a launch and last 60 seconds from that launch in a single take.
· Sound or music is optional.
· Titles and end credits are acceptable but they DO NOT count as part of the 60 seconds.
· It is preferable that the kite remains in shot for the whole of the however it is understood that this is difficult, therefore MOMENTORY disappearances may be acceptable, any video suspected of being cut will be put to a forum vote and any deemed to have been tampered with will score 0 points.
· A resolution of 320x240 should be used to allow reasonable access to those with dial up connections.
· Bit rates and frames per second are up to the individual but it would be preferable to keep videos under 8 mb, this helps with hosting and storage and bandwidth issues.

Judging

· The competition will be peer-judged, only those submitting videos will be allowed to vote.
· When registrations have been received then a marking regime will be allocated to each class based upon a total of 100 marks per class to be divided in varying quantities between. For example with 5 flyers the marking may be 1st=50, 2nd=20, 3rd=15, 4th=10 and 5th=5
· Upon closing of the competition all videos will be published on the web, all competitors will be expected to rank all other video in all other classes.
· Competitors do not rank their own video.
· All rankings to be returned via email by a predetermined date. Scores and rankings will be calculated and posted on the forum/website. They will take the form of individual competitions and an ongoing league.

Ranking and class

· When a competitor has previously ranked in a competitive before (trick out, trickster, hot tricks, tricks party, ballet events etc) they would be expected to compete at an equivalent level in the virtual freestyle event.
· If a competitor is place in the top 3 in their current class 3 times running they will move to the class above (if there is one). They may not move back down a class again until they have finished in the bottom 3 at least 3 times.
· If a competitor’s peers appeal that a competitor in their class is competing at a level below the flyer’s standard then the appeal can be put to a competitor vote. Dependant on the outcome of this the competitor may be moved up a class.
Last edited by Martin on Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eddie Green

Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:40 pm

Well that is a hell of a lot more complicated than I joped for, although I appreciate the work you have put into this Martin.

I was kind of hoping for more of a rolling thing, a bit like those Hot or Not websites, but with a human being collating scores and running it.

I am happy to offer hosting as at the moment I have just paid for a lot more Bandwidth than I use.

I would also suggest 30 Second videos. Why? Because that opens the field up to people with a wider range of equipment, like some digital cameras which will capture quite acceptable 30 second clips. I know that is short, but perhaps people could have the option of two 30 second clips?

Overall this is rather exciting. I would prefer something more laid back, but if you folks want a more 'competition' environment then go for it.

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:14 pm

Thanks for the comments Ed , the format above is only a proposal, i like the idea that we can compete to some extent over the web, it has already been pointed out to me tha\t you could just fly for hours in front of a camera until you get the "golden minute", i think thats fine, so long as it is a single take, no edits or cuts.

i didnt mean for it to sound too formal or stuffy, i think that with something like this you do need some kinda rules, i didnt think it was that restrictive
this is kinda how i envisaged it working

1. forum announcment, virtual freestyle event, all entries stating what class to me@here.com, by 99/99/99

2. email sent to all competitors stating who is flying in what class and the closing date

3. on the closing date the vids are posted, competitiors rate the vids by email

4. Event and league results are published.

on to the next one....

like i say i was really taken with this idea , i may have gone over board with the rules... i am sure other people will have there say and after that a mutually agreeable format can be arrived at

www.fracturedaxel.co.uk

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:18 pm

The other format i concidered woa a virtual trick out

people enter into 3 classes again

they are drawn against each other

both parties have an amount of time to prepare 3x30 second single take vids as in a real trick out

on a predefined day they must submit all 3 videos in the order they want them to appear.

the trick out is peer judged as per a normal trick out, you fly heats to win a place in the final, then the place you finish dictated the no of points you get towards a league ranking

Martin

www.fracturedaxel.co.uk

Davey

Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:30 pm

Probably harder to achive - The single 60 second one would work best - Even in the trick-out format. Given there's no 'live' competition you can't adjust your routine if you feel you need to raise the bar for one of the 30 sec slots...

Still would consider a review of the scoring - Make it fixed rather than distriobuted amongst the competitors in any given 'run' of the comp. e.g. 50 (1st) 20 (2nd) 10 (3rd) with a nominal 'thanks for taking part' 5 points for all the other competitors (or something like that)

A given 'entry' into flight, even a given 'end' - i.e. launch-to-landing - may add to the competitive aspect a bit given that it'll try to ensure that it's done as one take instead of finding that good 60 seconds in a days flying. It'll level the field a bit, as even good flyers can have a sucky 60 seconds (ooh - nerves etc.)

:)
Davey
::
Nope, I hadn't fallen off the map. Although one would be excused for thinking so...

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:34 pm

good points Davey, i think the launch is essential but not the landing, i think givin 60 seconds worth of video starting from the point of take off is a good way of doing things, i think that if you include a landing too it may make timing and filming hard for solo flyers.

as for the scoring, sounds a good plan to me to make it standard,

Martin

www.fracturedaxel.co.uk

Davey

Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:41 pm

Good point on the landing...

Mebbe reinforce the 'good-will' nature of the comp - asking competitors to use the 'first take' for entries in the spirit of fairness... and fallibility ;)
Davey
Nope, I hadn't fallen off the map. Although one would be excused for thinking so...

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:46 pm

do you think that people will ??, i think that so long as it is from a take off then there is no problem

Martin

www.fracturedaxel.co.uk

Eddie Green

Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:07 pm

Well I am certainly up for this. The rules aren't that complicated really.

I still like the idea of video Hot or Not ... as well as doing the serious judging how about having the option for a Fractured Axel vote thread on a number of these video shorts? Say 5. If people want to have an experiment then I am happy to take 5 short clips, run them together into a single video in a variety of compression formats and we could just start a vote thread? People vot for their favourite. Sure people can vote for themselves, but it is a bit of fun, and I imagine we can trust people not to register 400 new IDs ...

Meanwhile Martin can get to work on the real deal ... :)

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:13 pm

sounds like a plan to me, before i finalise anything i would like the input of more people...

Martin

www.fracturedaxel.co.uk

Andy S
King of FA

Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:06 pm

I don't think you're going to find many people with the equipment to join in: video camera, video capture card, software, broadband...

There might be a truly great flyer out there who has none of this stuff. This could be as constraining as geography.

Davey

Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:13 pm

Well... at least it's only one constraint instead of two for me... I'm geographically stuffed over here ;) - as are a couple of others.

It's an attempt to include more flyers - make it a bit of fun. Even submitting vid from a digital camera should suffice (if you can excuse the 15 fps ;))

Mebbe that truly great flyer has a m8 with a video camera etc... or his m8 has a m8 who... or his m8s m8 has a m8 with...
Davey

Eddie Green

Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:28 pm

The digital camera thing is why I suggested 30 second clips as plenty can only take video in 30 second bouts.

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:38 pm

Good idea martin, but the point about access to a camera is valid, ive got a digicam with 30s of mpeg, but no digicamcorder....

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:49 pm

Perhaps we could arrange a "group competition", where individuals have their 60 second slot and one person volunteers to video them. Then each flyers contribution is cut out and distributed.

Just an idea. Not everybody has the wherewithall to contribute to this kind of format. But I do like the concept very much.
:D
Andy