no
No votes

Total votes: 12

Juha
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:41 pm

Andy wrote:
I don't think you're going to find many people with the equipment to join in: video camera, video capture card, software, broadband...

Strictly speaking, of those four I only have the software (and even that's a one-dimensional piece of shareware junk compared to proper video editing software). Hasn't stopped me from making vids. I don't love the 15fps framerate or the 3 minute limit for a single clip of the digicam I use, but it's serviceable as long as you don't watch too many videos by PaulG beforehand. ;)

There might be a truly great flyer out there who has none of this stuff.

Well... people with access to real-life competitions don't seem to worry about all the great fliers severely limited by geography an awful lot. And they shouldn't. I don't see why those with the means and the will shouldn't be optimistic about their chances of kickstarting something as small-scale (for starters at least) as this. Over-complicated rules or exceedingly demanding equipment requirements are a bad idea but so is pessimism at this stage.

Personally, I absolutely love the idea and would be prepared to either pay for hosting or host my clips myself. Íf the ball gets rolling, I'll bet we'll see people from different countries taking part.

Juha

Andy S
King of FA

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:45 pm

Sorry.. I had a complete downer yesterday. I'm much more upbeat about it now. See my more constructive comment from this morning...

I think your vids look pretty good Juha... no problem with the quality for me. Maybe it's my eyes...

Eddie Green

Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:41 pm

Any mileage in this?

Perhaps it could sort of be a Trickout Winter League and we could find some sort of prize that people actually wanted.

I am very happy to host files and even combine music and video for people. Not sure about online voting, etc. Not really my pasture.

I like Andy's comments about keeping it open and rolling ...

Anyway I am happy to offer my

a) Time
b) Energy
c) Bandwidth

to this. Anyone wish to form a Comittee Of Competitive Kiters?

Oh and what does STACK Europe say, as this will be a worldwide competition of course ...

Juha
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:54 pm

I would really love it if this became a reality. I can offer time and energy, if that helps.

I do think, though, that things MUST be kept as simple and light as possible, at least for starters. The important thing would be to get the ball rolling - elaborate, far-reaching plans have a tendency to fall flat.

I think this needs a forum/category of its own, a place where related matters could be discussed and decided on. How about it?

Oh and what does STACK Europe say, as this will be a worldwide competition of course ...

My opinion is that it shouldn't be considered an "alternative" to real-life comps, just something different. I really don't think there's any danger of STACK-sanctioned competitions somehow losing their importance because of a 'net thingy like this.

Juha

Andy S
King of FA

Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:51 am

If it gets more 'off the ground' I'll make it it's own section, but at the moment I don't want to fragment this out of Competition.

dualline

Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:25 pm

I'm thinking Juha is right. Just pick a format and go with it. I'll send ya 60 sec's of flight from Seattle.

Advantages would be to flyers who have a camera op and the ability to edit in music for sure, but other than that it would seem everyone would be on fairly even-footing.

Besides, I look at this a just a way of expanding the kite-community. I'd love to watch Mike from Russia fly! Not like I'm getting the chance anytime soon any other way.

One question though... Are you looking for a laundry-list of moves, or a structured 60 sec ballet routine? Either way can be cool, I just think it should be clear what you're after as it will alter the flying style greatly.

Matthew

Andy S
King of FA

Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:53 pm

Hi Matthew, welcome to FA, and welcome to the competition.

Try and get JW to send a vid too??

Juha
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:05 pm

dualline wrote:
I'll send ya 60 sec's of flight from Seattle.

Excellent. 8-)

Advantages would be to flyers who have a camera op and the ability to edit in music for sure

Well, Ed (who will host the video files) has said he can edit in music for those who want it in their clips. I think, though, that music or lackthereof won't be a problem in the judging.

One question though... Are you looking for a laundry-list of moves, or a structured 60 sec ballet routine?

Hmm. Around 60 seconds of freestyle flying. It's hard to define because it's precisely that - free style. Stuff that maybe represents you and the way you like to fly. If that makes any sense. :shock:

Juha

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:23 pm

and the way you like to fly.

Thats about the best definition Ive read of freestyle

dualline

Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:34 pm

Andy - I'll make sure JW and I team up and run the camera for each other, that way we'll push each other a bit to come up with good stuff.

Juha - "Stuff that maybe represents you and the way you like to fly." That should be the description for the comp. Really good. Very straightforward. Gave me a lightbulb moment... "Ohhh, THATS what you mean..." :idea: :wow:

Matthew