Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, Yan, Zippy8

Popeye

Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:35 pm

Well done Piero and to all the other prize winners and entrants, hats off to Mike too, yet another brilliant job. :thumbsup:

Bakardi

Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:43 pm

Infinitive wrote:
How did you decide who came first between Bram and Bryan? Yet Mike Fogg and Thomas Petersen share 10th?

....Ssshhhh. Otherwise I might go down to Eleventh. :lol:

Mike

Yan

Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:55 pm

Bakardi wrote:
I still struggle with the scoring tho' and tend to score the same for both Technical and Freestyle, unless its bloomin' obvious.
Also, after scoring the first vid I then fit the others around that score...then after watching a particually good/not so good vid have to re-score everything again.

Is there any value in posting the full set of scores to the entrants to give us/me a better idea if we/I am way off the mark?

Glad i'm not the only one who struggles with the scoring! Your description above Mike, is exactly how I have done the last two rounds.The hardest for me is scoring people who are way above my skill level. It would be interesting to see how the more experianced flyers had scored their immediate peers and may be a usefull (if brutal) way of getting some kind of feedback on your own performace. However it may not be in keeping with the spirit of the competition to have such publing scoring.

Yan

Popeye

Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:11 pm

The best way for me is to place everyone 1st 2nd 3rd etc. based on overall impression and then build the scores from that so that you work from a basic framework.

Bakardi

Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:19 pm

Yan wrote:
However it may not be in keeping with the spirit of the competition to have such publing scoring.Yan

IIRC the scores used to be published for all to see.
Perhaps they could be published to those entrants who asked for them.

Then again this may create more work for Mike.

At this rate VF could replace Dancing on Ice for Sunday night prime time TV......YES i have to watch it...anything for a quite life

Mike

RoyReed

Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:37 pm

Congratulations to everyone and especially to best newcomer Bram Bijlhout - I've asked AndyS to send you your KiteQuids.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

mama74

Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:00 pm

Hi,

Congratulations, Piero, on yet another win :-)

On evaluating the other contestants:
When scoring, I watch the videos three times before things fall into place. The first time, I write down the scores based on first impressions.
The second time, I watch the videos in another order, see if I think the same as the first time, and adjust the scores if needed.
The third time, I start with the video I gave the lowest score and end with the highest, making sure I think everyone is placed correct and correct the scores again.
This I do in three sittings. The first set of scores I send in, I was told were a bit hard, so this round I tried to be nicer :-)

PieroS

Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:00 am

:D
Well done to all the competitors, and thanks to Mike and Roy and Mark.

The standard of flying is improving every round and the scoring is getting more and more difficult!
Piero

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:08 am

FFS give someone else a chance or we'll get Chris and Carl to enter :-)

Well done Piero, hope you managed to learn something about flying straight lines today and didn't spend all day drooling over the Element :-P
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

WinterDaze

Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:41 am

Firtstly, let me join in the chorus of 'thank yous' and 'well dones', all very deserved!

Secondly, I want a bit of WTF time too...

I damn well earned last place! how dare the judging panel hamstringing my obvious performance, 20th... whats with that....there's no glory to be had with that!

I DEMAND A RECOUNT and I'm going to suggest to the authorities that we implement a re-education program....

Well done to all, and all I'll say now is Bring on VF 12

So Davey and Mike when can we expect it?? huh huh.....

Shannon
Tako Kichi Gai

Zippy8
Topic Author

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:16 am

Infinitive wrote:
How did you decide who came first between Bram and Bryan? Yet Mike Fogg and Thomas Petersen share 10th?

Bram Bijlhout     345.75
Bryan Beasley     345.50

Mike Fogg         317.25
Thomas Petersen   317.25

Some people scored to the ΒΌ point :-)

Because of ties there were 30 top scores (ie; who people thought were the best) awarded:-
Piero Serra     9
Will Sturdy     9
Peter Maternus  4
Bram Bijlhout   3
Martin Madsen   2
Bryan Beasley   1
Dave Hearn      1
Jay Couey       1

There were two 10:10s awarded:- one to Piero, one to Will.

As I said before... the difference between the top two was in the range of Bugger All.

Most generous scorer was Sammy, most miserly were Will and Ianto.

Lowest "best" score was 15 (a 7 and an 8 ).
Lowest "low" score was 3 (2:1 and 1.5:1.5).

If you want I can chop up the scoring, whilst keeping it anonymous, to show the spread of scores. It can be difficult to separate the two elements but as long as everyone does their best it seems to all come out in the wash.

Mike.

TobyR

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:15 am

Only just got round to checking the results. Well done to the top guys for your superb performances, and to all for having the guts to enter! Many congratulations to David for winning that magnificent kite 8) And of course not forgetting the organisers and prize-givers: a big CHEERS to you!

As for publishing the scoring, I'd quite like to see the breakdown into technical and artistry, as this will let everybody know where they need to focus most attention next time. If minimum and maximum scores were provided as well as means, I don't think there'd be any need to publish all the scores - you could see from these statistics whether you were a harsh or generous scorer and if your entry appealed equally to a wide range of people or to some but not others.

Just my thoughts.
See ya next round.
Toby

Zippy8
Topic Author

Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:52 am

Technical

Artistic

One note regarding MAXIMUMs... one entrant scored in the range 7~10 for everyone. He wasn't always the high scorer but he was for a lot of those who placed lower down the table.

Update: redone in score order.

Mike.
Last edited by Zippy8 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaasplank

Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:14 pm

Damn, i'm happy with this :)

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:05 pm

That there is an interesting breakdown...

Technical...
1 - Will 8.9
2 - Piero 8.6
3 - Bryan 7.8

Artistic...
1 - Piero 8.3
2 - Will 7.9
3 - Bram and Martin 7.8
(Bryan waay on down there somewhere...)

Food for thought indeed.

Bryan