Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, Yan, Zippy8

tpatters

Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:22 am

Mike,

I think you are doing a great job and I'm glad that you are. :)

Coming from one of the entrants whose first entry was rejected due to OOF, I think that says alot. Ignorance is no excuse, but I just didn't know. I think making it more prevalent on the VF page (perhaps in bold with stronger wording) would do just fine.

BTW, if you would like to post the (err, very first) video that I submitted for further discussion of what NOT to do, then you have my blessing.

-Tom

Zippy8
Topic Author

Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:49 am

tpatters wrote:
I think you are doing a great job and I'm glad that you are. :)

Ta muchly. :D

I think making it more prevalent on the VF page (perhaps in bold with stronger wording) would do just fine.

I'll see to it.

Mike.

benjai

Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:26 am

Zippy8 wrote:
This is a little sad. And this is me talking. :P
I just knew I could rely on you to bite on that one :P

Zippy8 wrote:
So the entries that were accepted were OK, according to your statistical analysis, but what about the ones I didn't let through. :wink:
Obviously I have no idea, but those who had an entry rejected and you are in the best position to judge whether there is a problem.

Zippy8 wrote:
I, for one, don't want to go to a hard rule that exiting the frame means your video isn't accepted. I know the pain of spending time shooting a VF entry, thinking you've got a nice, representative bit of flying (for once !) then discovering that the kite wasn't in the frame between 0:48:17 and 0:48:19 :cry:

I'd rather take a freestyle approach of knowing when too much is too much, without having to define it to two decimal places. Entrants should always consider flying off frame to be A Very Bad Thing.

But that's just my view and not the final word.

Mike.
No problem with any of that. I agree with it being as non-prescriptive as possible, and to reiterate something I posted earlier, I think it’s about right as we have it now. So long as everyone has approximately the same understanding of the “grey area” then there isn’t a problem.

So maybe a pertinent question is, having seen the accepted entries, do any of the people who had a video rejected feel that it was harsh or do they now have the same understanding of the rules as you and everyone else? Perhaps a way to judge how easy it is to pitch your entry correctly, is to know how many videos had to be rejected. If it’s a big number, then maybe the rules need a bit of clarification, but if it’s only a couple then I’d say it’s a non-issue.

As I recall, someone (can’t remember who :wink:) once said:
we will take a "you don't follow the rules but I like your style" approach to the whole affair. Take care not to slip into "ah now, don't push it" and trouble will ensue if you encroach on "right, you're taking the piss".
And I’d say this is spot on… Keep doin’ what you’re doin’ Mike :thumbsup:

[statto mode] To answer Tom’s question, of the 24 entries, 10 contained an OOF. [/statto mode]
Last edited by benjai on Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sub

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:01 pm

A nice collection of videos everyone. I'm sorry I wasn't able to enter this time. As usual Mike has done a great job in promoting with a theme.

I look forward to seeing the results.

tspdk

Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:24 pm

When can we exspect the results ?
Best Regards
Thomas

Zippy8
Topic Author

Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:32 pm

tspdk wrote:
When can we expect the results ?

Feel free to start expecting them whenever you wish :wink:

I've set a deadline of the end of this month. I've had eleven sets of scores to date (plus one that I've queried but not had a reply on) but I reckon a few people won't get to this before the weekend.

Like I said, I'll nag ONCE. No score = DQ and no chance of that Talon UL.

Mike.

tspdk

Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:05 pm

oki thanks.. !
Best Regards
Thomas

Zippy8
Topic Author

Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:53 am

As of now half of the scores are in (with another one still waiting to be confirmed....).

Without wishing to give anything away :wink: I wouldn't want to place a bet on the overall winner unless I was the one in charge of the scores but the best newcomer seems clear unless there is a dramatic change in fortunes.

If the rest of the scores aren't in by the middle of next week then I'll send the ONE reminder to the stragglers.

Mike.

PAW

Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:24 pm

Scoring is sent :wink:
Account deleted !

tspdk

Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:03 am

waiting waiting
Best Regards
Thomas

Zippy8
Topic Author

Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:02 am

3 to go.... :-D

One pair have promised them tomorrow, I haven't heard from the other guy since he sent a video in.

Mike.

tspdk

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:17 pm

OKi.. thanks for the update !!
Best Regards
Thomas

Zippy8
Topic Author

Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:10 am

Now just waiting on one last set of scores. If anyone knows Monty Escabi, prod him in the ribs wouldya ? :wink:

Not to give anything away but.... tight at the very top with a strong chasing pack. And of course the Talon UL could still go to anyone :-)

Mike.

tkippel

Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:29 am

Waiting and going craaaaazy :crazy:

bye Thomas

Sub

Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:23 am

Don't hurry the man, he's on "11" effort level already :P
Read the signs people... give him a break, relax, chill... take deeeeeep breaths, do some kite repairs. Volunteer to do a better job next time!! :D