Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, Yan, Zippy8

rboerth

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:34 am

Lex B wrote:
Zippy8 wrote:
Anything catch the eye particularly ?

Obi scarring little dogs. :lol:

. . . that strange white stuff on the ground in Obi's video . . . I've never seen anything like that.

And some of the videos seemed to show steady wind . . . we've heard about that here in central Florida,, but I always thought it was just a story.

I took a look at some of the entries yesterday to get my bearings, and will sit down to score today. Hopefully, I'll also get to the field to start honing my skills for VF12 . . . I've got a lot of catching up to do :oops: .

Thanks to Mike and all the other competitors. It was a lot of fun, and I'm happy to be part of the distinguished mix.

kareloh

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:30 pm

Zippy8 wrote:

- Pierro doing normal flicflacs with the CTC.
- Peter fracturing almost every trick (nice and smooth!) while flying 200 meter lines (;))
- Some people need to de-interlace their entry's
- 1 video is in 4x3 aspect ratio, should be 16x9
- Nice variation in used kites, the DS percentage is decreasing every round.
- Overall level of competitors is still growing rapidly between the rounds
- Mike doing an EVEN better job hostingthe site and the vid's, great!
- Too bad i didn't have an entry this time, but i'm also a bit lucky considering the difficulty of judging this.

Zippy8
Topic Author

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:51 pm

kareloh wrote:
- 1 video is in 4x3 aspect ratio, should be 16x9

VLC can force aspect ratio. It really does solve most video issues.

- Nice variation in used kites, the DS percentage is decreasing every round.

I'd do a little breakdown of the kite used but it's simply 4 x CTC, 3 x DS, 2 x Sea Devil and the rest just one-offs. I think it shows that "I don't have a suitable kite" is right off the excuses menu.

- Mike doing an EVEN better job hosting the site and the vid's, great!

The hosting is via Thomas Petersen (tspdk) and he so deserves that VF mug. I made one goof with a filename that was spotted by an entrant and rectified.

Mike,
I am having a harrowing time here at work. Idiots to the left, fools to the right.....
Last edited by Zippy8 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tspdk

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:53 pm

!? tpdsk ?!

Last i looked at my username it was "tspdk" :-)
Best Regards
Thomas

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:10 pm

Some nice flying going on there guys, well done to all those who entered, and another big thank you to Mike =D>

Bakardi

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:51 pm

...one of the sharpest Comets I've seen.
...sun and clear skys 8)

Mike

Zippy8
Topic Author

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:21 pm

A couple of things from me:

• I think that 24 entrants represents a stellar turnout for this time of year/stage of kiting season. With 9 people new to the event as well I consider this a tremendous result already. Obviously Mark's generous donation of a Talon UL had a lot/most to do with this so thanks to him.
• 8 scoresheets already returned. No pressure on anyone yet but it should be placed on your To Do list.
• I should have mentioned - there's no need to score yourselves :wink:
• Does anyone have a problem with the way the "keep in frame" rule is being handled ? I'm letting "some" through and leaving it to the scorers to deduct if they feel it needs to be done. Too much is still grounds for refusal.
• Navigating the video page is pretty ugly. I'll have a think about making it a bit tidier.
• That there were no site crashes this time is all due to Thomas P.'s support and hosting donation.

As I've mentioned before I consider myself merely a temporary custodian of VF. When/if Davey wants the reins back, they're his. If anyone else fancies a go, step forward.

Mike.

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:55 pm

I never thought about it like that, 24 entrants is pretty good for this time of year :thumbsup:

Mark

rboerth

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:01 pm

Zippy8 wrote:
• Does anyone have a problem with the way the "keep in frame" rule is being handled ? I'm letting "some" through and leaving it to the scorers to deduct if they feel it needs to be done. Too much is still grounds for refusal.

I like everything about this statement except the last sentence, if by "refusal" you mean "DQ" or "score zero." If someone has gone to the trouble to try to make a video for a competition, then they deserve to get scored. Flying out of the frame obviously hurts you since any maneuver performed out of the viewers' sight essentially doesn't exist or figure into the scoring . . . and obviously the more you fly out of the frame, the less you are giving the scorers.

Taking VF 11 as an example, it is clear that everyone was working hard to stay in the frame . . . plenty for all the flyers to merit a serious look and score.

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:45 pm

Nice work everyone. Enjoyable watch through.

Bryan

Yan

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:58 pm

Speaking as the entrant that flew out of the frame about the most, I think it depends a bit on the flyers intention at the point of entering the comp.
I don't think that my entry will come anywhere other than near , or at, last place. So as I do not currently have the requisite skill to fly constantly within the video camera's view, I have not (although i did try)! :lol:
If I was able to fly better and put in a more competative entry I would have what it takes to keep the kite in frame as has been seen by the more competent flyers and I think it is reasonable for the top placed pilots to be expected to keep the kite in frame.

So, what I think I'm trying to say is that, for me it's about being part of something bigger than just flying alone in a field and I will keep entering as I think it's as close to a standardised way to mesure progress as you can get.

Yan :-D

stuartF

Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:46 pm

Zippy8 wrote:

I'm still only a bystander, but I prefer a bigger image of a kite that sometimes leaves the frame. A far worse alternative (particularly for flyers like Yan ;) and me, once I get that good ) would be placing the camera a few hundred meters further upwind - giving us a tiny image, but at least always in the frame.

Stuart
the lunatic is on the grass

PAW

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Al is getting better and better and Pierro is flying cooler and cooler (slowly and smooth)...the scoring is gonne take years with all these nice vids !
Account deleted !

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:51 pm

PAW always seeming to have the same(ish) wind direction every video :P

I've driven over that bridge in the background a couple of times; flown over it too if I'm not mistaken!

Mark

tpatters

Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:31 am

Zippy8 wrote:
A couple of things from me:

I think it should be left to the judges. To me, having the kite briefly off the screen is similar to a panning shot that has the kite filling the entire screen.

When you can ONLY see the kite, then it is hard to judge its "flow" during the video. If it is too far away (and therefore too small), then you cannot see the movement of the kite very well. Somewhere in the middle, and it is difficult to keep in frame. So, really no perfect answer.

IMO, just let the scorers work it out based on the overall flight quality. Too much out of frame flying will almost certainly lead to a much lower score.