Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, Yan, Zippy8

Zippy8
Topic Author

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:18 am

benjai wrote:
So... if you have a total of 133Mb, and two of them are over 40Mb each, it means the others are sensibly small.

6 fall into the 5~8MB range, one in the low teens and two whales :-) None of them are unwatchable.

I think what I'll do is make direct links to max. 20MB-ish files and see about keeping the bigger files available if people want to use them instead.

BTW I've just had to reject one video for not starting from the ground. I really wish that I didn't have to but... I do.

Mike.

ObijuanKenobe

Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:28 am

So I have a couple clips that are suitable. However, the one I like slightly better starts from the ground pancake position.

Is this starting from a landing? Fine if it isn't, but don't want to edit a reject-able vid.

Maybe this will inadvertently clear this issue up once and for all for others as well.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

benjai

Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:32 am

I interpreted "on the ground" as "in contact with the ground". My backup entry started from a tip-stand... The entry actually submitted starts from a more conventional position though... But Mike obviously has the final word...

Obi - I'm assuming you haven't pre-wrapped enough line around the kite (full-burrito stylee) that you can get a 60-second unwrap out of it ;) Would be almost kite-kid-esque....
Last edited by benjai on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

ObijuanKenobe

Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:53 am

benjai wrote:
Obi - I'm assuming you haven't pre-wrapped enough line around the kite (full-burrito stylee) that you can get a 60-second unwrap out of it ;)

:lol: Hadn't thought of that.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Zippy8
Topic Author

Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:57 pm

ObijuanKenobe wrote:
Is this starting from a landing?

Ummm..... no. Rule #1 states "Start with the kite on the ground."

If the answer to the question "is my kite on the ground ?" is yes then you're golden. I'm quite happy to allow people to edit their entry in such a way that they fly about a bit as an unscored intro., then land and that's "IN". At least I was last time.

Wingtip, nose plant, however - makes no odds to me. But six foot in the air is not "on the ground". I hope we can all agree on that.

Mike.

benjai

Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:36 pm

Zippy8 wrote:
I'm quite happy to allow people to edit their entry in such a way that they fly about a bit as an unscored intro., then land and that's "IN". At least I was last time.

Wingtip, nose plant, however - makes no odds to me.

[tongue in cheek]

Shame there isn't a "best intro" category then... I had loads of footage that consisted of flying about a bit followed by a "landing", usually of the second type listed above, leaving the scored section consisting of line-untangling, the walk of contemplation or putting the kite back together, or in some cases all three...

Does playing the footage backwards constitute an "in-flight edit"? (sorry, just messin' now - I'll get me coat)

[/tongue in cheek]

kitegem

Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:12 pm

Last chance Today. Winds look ok. Field is clear.. enough, I think. Headed out now.

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:10 pm

I've got a couple of 'not good enough' blocks to choose from, I'll hold back until the weekend though, in-case another opportunity presents itself.

Bryan

Zippy8
Topic Author

Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:43 pm

Ah the last gasp surge :-) Warm and familiar already.

I remind you all that the deadline is 14th of February, which is Saturday. So if you're planning on making a late run on Sunday then that'll be VF12 you're thinking of.

Mike.

kitegem

Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:06 pm

Well that did not go well.

Nothing that met my admittedly low standards.

That's it for me this round.

Withdrawn.

Good Luck to all.

TobyR

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:12 am

Zippy8 wrote:
I think what I'll do is make direct links to max. 20MB-ish files and see about keeping the bigger files available if people want to use them instead.

Great! With a maximum download rate of 60 Kbps the smaller the better as far as I'm concerned; don't mind if they're not quite so crisp and, as you say, :tongue:, just compress away...

Toby

Zippy8
Topic Author

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:25 am

TobyR wrote:
Great! With a maximum download rate of 60 Kbps ........

At the moment we're at 112Mb for 11 entries. I am promised a bare minimum of two more so you're staring at ±150Mb. At 60Kb/s that's still under 45 minutes. I'll be making a .ZIP file so people can grab all the entries in one DL to peruse at their leisure.

Mike.

Andy S
King of FA

Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:17 am

Not going to happen this time. My kites got put in storage ready for a move that got delayed three weeks.

Had the music planned and everything!

Zippy8
Topic Author

Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:46 am

I am tempted to put up a small (derisory in fact) prize for Best Excuse :P Moving house just to avoid entering seems extreme but shows a curious devotion to not taking part.

Maybe I'll have one more mug made. Then chip it heavily. :evil:

Mike.

Andy S
King of FA

Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:14 pm

Zippy8 wrote:
Maybe I'll have one more mug made. Then chip it heavily. :evil:

We've just moved house. Do you not think we've got enough chipped mugs?