Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:48 am

Now changing in the rules.
Best Regards
Thomas

Bakardi

Re: Any changes needed ?

Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:57 pm

Zippy8 wrote:
a) Is a entry/time limit necessary (just in case) ?

I think a max of 90 sec to include credits in and out. This should help stop vids becoming 'mini movies' and the possibility of them being scored slightly higher because of better production levels. (I know I've been guilty of this in the past :oops: )
Zippy8 wrote:
b) Divide into classes ? Scored only within these classes ?

No.
Zippy8 wrote:
c) In = Take off, Out = Landing ?

Take off - yes, landing - optional and scored...........its a trick isn't it.
Zippy8 wrote:
d) Major prizes still drawn ?

Yes, encourages higher participation level.
Zippy8 wrote:
Owt else ?

I seem to remember previous VF's required the kite to remain 'in shot' and was scored accordingly if the kite went out of shot. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore............clarification needed I think.

Mike

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:33 pm

Start on the ground - Yes.
Landing to finish - No......

....As mentioned before, if you're filming with Mr. Tripod, it's easier to do some takes and choose the one you're most pleased with.

Mark

Zippy8
Topic Author

Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:22 pm

Bakardi wrote:
I think a max of 90 sec to include credits in and out. This should help stop vids becoming 'mini movies'

Maybe I could be a bit more strict with people over this but during the last round plenty were flying a full 90seconds, nevermind the intros. and outros. Would it be OK if it was just dealt with on a "don't take the piss" level ?

I seem to remember previous VF's required the kite to remain 'in shot' and was scored accordingly if the kite went out of shot. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore............clarification needed I think.

I'll keep an eye on it. 'Tis a good point.

Mike.

Kamikaze
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:41 pm

I scored 60 seconds of good flying higher than 90 seconds of average flying, hence if you have done your best ever flying for the last 60 seconds than a good landing will be awarded more points than just filling in the rest of the time.

David
I am Editing the Wiki anything you would like adding please PM me.

tpatters

Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:59 pm

Zippy8 wrote:
I'm just bouncing ideas here so don't take it too seriously:-

a) 29 entries with many people taking the full 90 seconds lead to a long time staring at a screen writing down numbers. Is a entry/time limit necessary (just in case) ?

I was shocked with the level of participation, 29 was just about the upper limit I think to review. I think there should be an upper and lower limit 60-90 secs.

b) Divide into classes ? Scored only within these classes ?

Unlike how most answered this, I think it is a good idea. Particularly with 29 competitors. It was obvious from the videos that there were 2 distinct level of flyers. I think it would be more competitive to have an intermediate and then an experienced group.

Allow some way to bump people up that may be sand-bagging. Perhaps the voters can indicate which group the person should be in.

Ah, the more I think about it, forget it - just keep the prizes drawn at random for all competitors.

c) In = Take off, Out = Landing ?

I like the landing idea, completes the effort.

d) Major prizes still drawn ?

Oh Yeah - that was certainly one reason why we got off our duffs and entered last time.

e) Piero only allowed to fly a Barbie Pro Stunt™ ? :P

haha - of make him fly with an uneven line handicap, say 1' off.

Zippy8
Topic Author

Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:37 am

tpatters wrote:
29 was just about the upper limit I think to review.

Was it 29 entries or the 40+mins that was the issue ? Or both ?

I think it is a good idea....Ah, the more I think about it, forget it

Well as long as you're sure :P

I like the landing idea, completes the effort.

But it is an extra demand, a "compulsory" that I'm not sure is what's called for.

that was certainly one reason why we got off our duffs and entered last time.

I do think that draws-for-major-prizes is the way to go for VF.

Mike.

kitegem

Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:41 pm

Keep the rules to a minimum.

No compulsories.

Sixty seconds is fine.

Ninety? Whatever.

Is there an actual entry requirement for minimum time?

Or is it: just don't make it too long?

The focus should stay on the flying, not the production values.

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:07 pm

I'm not too keen on the 90seconds including credits.

Yes I'd prefer basic credits when viewing/judging a performance, just so I know who/what/where/etc, but the entry should be from launch onwards IMO.

"Just the flying 'maam, just the flying. " - Everything before and after should be of no great concern. I was happy to listen to the rest of Al's music in the last round, it WAS quite funky ;)

Mark

Popeye

Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:39 am

Rules are fine as they are 60 - 90 secs. of actual flying. :D

Zippy8
Topic Author

Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:53 am

kitegem wrote:
Is there an actual entry requirement for minimum time? Or is it: just don't make it too long?

Though shalt fly between 60 and 90 seconds.

If someone is struggling to make the minimum then it can be around 60 seconds so that their entry is accepted but we should expect an edit made at 90 seconds.

The focus should stay on the flying, not the production values.

Indeedy. But that shouldn't stop people taking a bit of pride in their work and putting in some pretty, short titles/credits.

I have neither desire nor intention to add rules but I do want to make sure we're all in agreement on this. It seems we (generally) are.

Mike.

tspdk

Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:23 pm

No changes in the rules as they are now. To much changes in the rules will keep pilots away.

If ther should be max numbers om competitor then 30 woulde be oki , i think !

video timer max 90 sec. with in and out!

video quality nevermind, just have to good enough to watch.
Best Regards
Thomas

mama74

Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:51 pm

I don´t think the rules need to be changed. And I like the relaxed attitude of the competition. So what if the entries are one or two seconds too long or short... its hard enough to get anything good on video at all. I think its more important to keep the rules simple and non-restrictive in order to attract as many participants as possible. Anyway, it´s up to each participant to judge the entries as they what... so, the result will reflect the impressions made on them.
A) 29 entries is fine for me. It takes time, but thats ok.
B) Divide into classes? No thanks, I´d rather end up 21st than 1st in group C.
C)In=takeoff, yes please. Out=landing, No, it´s hard enough as it is!
D) Major prizes drawn? Yes! It will attrack more participants, and the greatest prize still is.... 1st place.
E) Piero should, of course, take part again. It would also be nice to see entries from debray, stahl and all the other big shots... :-)

Zippy8
Topic Author

Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:03 am

FYI.........
    VF10 actual in~out total time was 35mins 32secs (averaging 1min 14seconds per entry). I reckon that a hope-we-don't-have-to-use-it limit of 40mins total would at least keep the scoring workload reasonable.

Some people (no names) did add to the epic nature of their videos with some fancy credit rolls. If this was after the VF bit then it was skippable but in some cases there was nigh on half a minute of lead in. I'll remind people to minimize this if possible.

Only one video had major out of frame moments. Again... I'll tighten up on this. I don't want to exclude people but it is a requirement.

Classes looks unwanted. I might try to get a specific prize for first-timers.

I'm still looking towards mid-January kick off with 6 weeks to get a video in but nothing's definite yet.

All for now.

Mike.

Sub

Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:35 pm

mama74 wrote:
B) Divide into classes? No thanks, I´d rather end up 21st than 1st in group C.

:cool: I promise I'll try harder next time Martin...

I didn't understand how the prize distribution worked, why was it a draw?
Everything else seemed to work well.
You could stipulate credits to be at the end of the video's, to make the judging process more efficient.