Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, Yan, Zippy8

RoyReed

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:09 pm

Zippy8 wrote:
Some people (no names) did add to the epic nature of their videos with some fancy credit rolls. If this was after the VF bit then it was skippable but in some cases there was nigh on half a minute of lead in. I'll remind people to minimize this if possible.

:oops: Sorry, I just wanted the 'IN' to be at a particular point in the music. It won't happen again, Sir.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

ObijuanKenobe

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:49 pm

Personally, any extra creativity in the making and editing of the video is welcome. Com'on...if we are all honest, it took less than an hour to score the lot. As long as I can see all the videos in one sitting (say an hour), it's all fine by me. I guess this puts the max somewhere around 45...which is a problem I'd love to see materialize. I am not so busy that I can't watch a few VF videos four times per year.

BTW: The 'film-making' has become a great addition to an already very rewarding hobby. I have come to really enjoy editing the footage. I have just become much more shy about posting it here. :lol:

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Zippy8
Topic Author

Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:12 am

Sub wrote:
I didn't understand how the prize distribution worked, why was it a draw?

Well OK let's look at that.

If the main prize (the Benson Beanie.... OK, the Muse :-) ) had gone to the winner then just how many of the 29 entrants had a realistic chance to win that ? I would have said 5~6 and for the vast majority they didn't really have a chance, no disrespect intended. With prize draws everyone can win.

Whilst VF is a competition I would paraphrase Pierre de Coubertin in saying:-

"The most important thing in Virtual Freestyle is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph, but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have flown well."

I take nothing away from those at the pointy end of VF - they set a very high standard of flying and targets for us all to strive for - but I really want this to be something that encourages all standards to take part in, with as few impediments as possible and as many encouragements.

Mike.

Infinitive

Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:38 am

And also the 5-6 people who can win are, out of the range of entrants, the least likely to actually want a prize like a new kite, as they either already have a large collection or are the type to settle down on a kite and only move on when they have exhausted it. To me it makes more sense to let prizes like kites be available to newbies more than to old-hands.
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

Zippy8
Topic Author

Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:56 pm

FYI....

the website has been reworked a wee bit and now contains a link to all previous results. If anyone can fill in the details (like who all those Steves are) then drop me a line.

Due to my schedule being what it is and what is shall be I'm thinking about a January 1st kick off and a deadline of February 14th 2009 for VF11. Suitable ?

And I know this is presumptuous but given the large turnout last time and the stellar top prize already offered (it is a belter) I was thinking of setting a cutoff of 40mins judging time. Once that point is reached (ie; 32 entrants at average VF10 length) then anyone already in the competition can call "enough" and entries will close. It may be that this is utterly unneeded but just to ensure things don't get totally out of hand. Even I don't want to spend much more than that amount of time scoring kite videos.

M'kay ? :-k

Mike.

ObijuanKenobe

Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:04 am

I think setting some limit is really not needed. You da man. You can do what you feel is necessary, but if we have more than 32 entries...what kind of a problem is that really??

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Zippy8
Topic Author

Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:30 am

ObijuanKenobe wrote:
I think setting some limit is really not needed.

I'm not entirely convinced either.

if we have more than 32 entries...what kind of a problem is that really??

A time problem. If VF scoring becomes too much of a chore then it's a disincentive to participate. By offering those already "in" a chance to call enough if they want after a certain (as yet unreached BTW) point I hope to dodge that.

Like I said... it's belt and braces for something that might not be remotely an issue but I'd rather have it in place beforehand than react once we're underway.

Mike.

ObijuanKenobe

Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:12 am

Not to beat a dead horse (I NEVER do that), but then what is 'in'? If it's the intention to participate, then I will already declare IN!

For it to be submission of a film could get tricky in light of the whole 'opportunity to fly' complications this competition always presents. Up here, we are talking +/-5 hours of good light per day for the next two months, for example.

(I am going out today with the camera...just to get some test bits, find angles and such. I had all this worked out in Oslo. :evil: I don't want to be submitting the ONLY 1min clip I have this time 'round.)

Regardless, I for one am well pleased with your continued administration of this...the most popular kiting competition in the world.

obi

Zippy8
Topic Author

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:45 pm

ObijuanKenobe wrote:
Not to beat a dead horse (I NEVER do that), but then what is 'in'?

Once a suitable video has been received. I cannot really say what the overall VF-time is without seeing the video, for one thing. Last round entrants names went from white to red on the website to indicate real INness had occurred.

Up here, we are talking +/-5 hours of good light per day for the next two months, for example.

Pah ! Bloody soft southerners [-(

I am letting people know that there is the intention to run VF11 in January/February 2009 so that they have the opportunity to get something done beforehand. I'd hate for people to forget about VF between rounds :wink:

Mike.

ObijuanKenobe

Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:40 am

Zippy8 wrote:
Pah ! Bloody soft southerners [-(

Vihtavuori, Finland - Latitude: 62° 22' 0"N, Longitude: 25° 53' 60"E

Trondheim, Norway - Latitude: 63°26'24"N, Longitude: 10°24'00"E

Hmmm.... :P

Unless the numbers from the 'internets' are wrong, who's the bloody southerner? I will admit, it must be MUCH colder where you are standing. Trondheim is far from being inland. But it would appear that we'll have less light than you by at least a few minutes per day.

obi

Zippy8
Topic Author

Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:04 pm

ObijuanKenobe wrote:
Unless the numbers from the 'internets' are wrong, who's the bloody southerner?

It's nowt to do wi' where you live - it's where you were born. Sithee.

Mike,
you can't try to be a Yorkshireman.

benjai

Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:59 am

Just my thoughts, and probably just echoing those that have gone before (and bear in mind that I haven't entered the Theatre of Dreams that is VF.... yet)

I really don't think there is a need to limit the number of entries - that seems to go against the "all inclusive" intention of VF. Does anyone really have a problem with the time it takes to watch 30 to 45 minutes of kiting? If so, you can always withdraw and not bother scoring (although those doing this should do so at the submission deadline so that everyone else is spared the effort of scoring their entry)... I'd say that we should remember that some generous people have given up prizes, and others admin time, to make this a real event. I think it would be pretty sad if anyone would consider not entering because the scoring was too much like hard work! I suppose [controversial] if it really became a VF-threatening issue, a judge or judging panel could be appointed [/controversial] but this seems to move away from the whole "judged by your peers" idea. That said, I think have a guideline to limit the length of video before the "in" point is a good idea...

A final argument for not limiting entries, is that they create a great wealth of freestyle kite footage for pilots to review and become enthused by. The guys at the sharp end show "us" what is possible, while those submitting "less winningest" entries show us a realistically attainable level of skill and encourage us to get of our backsides and fly.

So ends today’s sermon!